It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:00

The Ax Book!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: The Ax Book!

Postby Andyp » 18 Oct 2018, 19:36

Hope they don't forget those of us who are really south of the country.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 18 Oct 2018, 19:51

Mine arrived in Yorkshire, something to look at whist on the throne

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 18 Oct 2018, 21:49

Interesting what is 'in' and what is 'out'. There is a new range called 'Craft' that seems to sit between Hobby and Trade. No hobby machines in the catalogue at all from my first flick through. An emphasis on what I would call 'up market' ranges - veritas, some nice hand tools, predominance of trade rated machinery etc, definitely pushing the quality end of the woodworking spectrum (assuming QC is as good as the marketing dept that is!).

The new tablesaw that takes a dado stack is in, but at £2.5k outside my price range sadly :eusa-violin:
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Oct 2018, 16:37

StevieB wrote:Interesting what is 'in' and what is 'out'. There is a new range called 'Craft' that seems to sit between Hobby and Trade. No hobby machines in the catalogue at all from my first flick through.

Seems to me that the old 'Hobby' range has been re-branded as 'Craft' so I'd be very surprised to see any actual improvements between one and the other. Blue 'Industrial' equipment has also gone to be replaced by the new 'Trade' range, so they're just pedalling the two brands now - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Oct 2018, 18:00

Malc2098 wrote:Mine came today, too. South of the country must be more righteous! :eusa-whistle:

'fraid not 'cos mine arrived Thursday as well :D

As an aside, we find that deliveries up here are much quicker relatively than when we were down South. It's because our stuff gets labelled Scottish Deadline which guarantees it's on the motorway heading up that day.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 20 Oct 2018, 13:04

Woodbloke wrote:
StevieB wrote:Interesting what is 'in' and what is 'out'. There is a new range called 'Craft' that seems to sit between Hobby and Trade. No hobby machines in the catalogue at all from my first flick through.

Seems to me that the old 'Hobby' range has been re-branded as 'Craft' so I'd be very surprised to see any actual improvements between one and the other. Blue 'Industrial' equipment has also gone to be replaced by the new 'Trade' range, so they're just pedalling the two brands now - Rob

Hmm, Dunno - there is still hobby stuff on line - eg the TS200 table saw, will be interesting to see if they do go to two ranges though because there is a big price difference between hobby and trade at the moment. I still remember the old yellow 'perform' range - some of that really was bad quality - in fact I still have the perfrom dust extractor as a floor vacuum!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 20 Oct 2018, 14:01

I notice the model numbers on the two Axi machines I purchased over the last year have changed. With the TS now branded category 'Trade', where it was once 'Industrial'.

The higher the category the longer the service life (hrs)... And warranty? If I'm right

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Oct 2018, 16:23

StevieB wrote:
Hmm, Dunno - there is still hobby stuff on line - eg the TS200 table saw, will be interesting to see if they do go to two ranges though because there is a big price difference between hobby and trade

The TS200 is probably old stock, they may have a shipping container full of things that they need to shift :lol: The price difference between Hobby/Craft and Trade is reflected in the annual hours usage which used to be published (dunno if it still is?) as the latter is built to a much higher 'standard' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking