It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:55

smartHinge

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

smartHinge

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Sep 2020, 15:10

On the current project, I've just this afternoon trialled and fitted a pair Andrew Crawford's 'smartHinges'. I hate with a passion fitting any sort of brassware and on this particular jewellery box I was terrified that the lid and base edges on the large routed 'ole for the Birds Eye Maple 'moon' might have a 'step' and require some 'adjustment' :eusa-whistle:

The set-up instructions on Andrew's site are very explicit and easy to follow so I spent an hour or two this morning getting the router table prepared. I then did a few trials on a small oddment of oak:

IMG_4944.jpg
(87.21 KiB)

IMG_4945.jpg
(107.76 KiB)

Girding lions :D I then proceeded to route the four slots in the Indian Rosewood box, drilled the pilot holes (Andrew recommends a set of drills in 0.1mm increments) and inserted four screws, having first lubricated them with a smear of Vaseline. No steel screw is provided to cut the threads but fortunately I had a box of No.3's that were ideal; there are however, plenty of brass screws in the packet.

Having screwed the lid to the box...

IMG_4950.jpg
(187.48 KiB)

...I then closed it to check that everything, inc. the aforementioned 'ole was in line. Which it was, absolutely spot on :D

IMG_4949.jpg
(200.11 KiB)

These things are expensive, but no more so than the Brusso hinges from CHT. Provided you follow the instructions to the letter you should obtain a respectable result. No affiliation to 'smartHinge' in any way - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: smartHinge

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Sep 2020, 16:38

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 27 Sep 2020, 17:58

What makes these hinges "smart" is it just the built in stop? Is that really that special.

Forgive if these are dumb questions, I'm not a box maker and I certainly could not stomach the price.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Blackswanwood » 27 Sep 2020, 21:38

The knuckle is rounded but they still have a stop Bob. Brusso make a similar hinge but it has a square knuckle and the difference is quite noticeable (if you are into boxes!).
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Sep 2020, 22:35

9fingers wrote:What makes these hinges "smart" is it just the built in stop? Is that really that special.

Forgive if these are dumb questions, I'm not a box maker and I certainly could not stomach the price.

Bob

Ease of fitting I think Bob. Normal brass butts are a lot more awkward :evil: to fit and the two halves of the box never seem to 'marry' up together accurately which is a complete pita. If the router table is set up 'spot on' these smartHinges are dead easy - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Sep 2020, 22:54

Blackswanwood wrote:The knuckle is rounded but they still have a stop Bob. Brusso make a similar hinge but it has a square knuckle and the difference is quite noticeable (if you are into boxes!).

Thanks!
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2020, 07:09

I like that a lot Rob. Up to your usual standards of course.

I went on to the smart hinge website and read about Mr Linley :shock: incredible.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2020, 09:44

Rob, how do you ensure that the initial pilot hole is dead centre ?

And where on earth do you get drills in 0.1mm increments ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2020, 09:50

RogerS wrote:Rob, how do you ensure that the initial pilot hole is dead centre ?

And where on earth do you get drills in 0.1mm increments ?

0.1 mm drill increments are perfectly standard for jobbers drills from almost any engineers suppliers.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Sep 2020, 10:23

RogerS wrote:Rob, how do you ensure that the initial pilot hole is dead centre ?

Andrew mentions in the 'book of words' that the pilot hole should be slightly ahead of centre so that the screw tends to pull the hinge into the recess.

Andyp wrote:
I went on to the smart hinge website and read about Mr Linley :shock: incredible.

I had a quite a lengthy online conversation a while ago with Andrew about Mr. Linley's shenanigans :shock: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cncpaul » 28 Sep 2020, 20:26

Woodbloke wrote:

Andrew mentions in the 'book of words' that the pilot hole should be slightly ahead of centre so that the screw tends to pull the hinge into the recess.

Andyp wrote:

I had a quite a lengthy online conversation a while ago with Andrew about Mr. Linley's shenanigans :shock: - Rob

I don’t think it’s Linley himself, l can’t imagine Linley is bothered about where their hinges come from. I have found on a few occasions that some minion that works there is trying to impress the boss by screwing their supplier or makers to save a few pounds.

Paul
Cncpaul
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Sep 2020, 15:55

I have only just come across these hinges and the variant from another maker. They are clearly superb and I will obtain some when stocks are back in.

As for the Chinese £1.50 copies, this is surely inevitable in the absence of a patent. Andrew is clearly fighting a battle that he cannot win, as he does not own the design. He in fact states that the design was known before he adapted it.

I doubt that people daft enough to pay £13k for a Linley branded box (made by someone else) will care much about the hinges.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to General Woodworking