It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:32

Sourcing veneer

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Sourcing veneer

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jun 2017, 16:26

Although I would class myself and reasonably experienced wood basher, I've not used any veneer before.

Next project will need panels around 1m x 400 mm and despite searching on websites I cannot find any guides to readily available sizes.
I'm think of crown cut construction veneers as being more rugged for a beginner and possibly book matching to get an attractive panel.
So am I likely to get construction veneers 200mm plus wide or will I have to be thinking of 4 consecutive slices to cover 400 mm width and get centralised features?

I'm looking at Crispin where I could collect reasonably economically or Nantwich which would have to be mail order. Any other suppliers in say 100ml land radius of Southampton?

TIA

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Sourcing veneer

Postby Robert » 17 Jun 2017, 18:04

I've been to Crispin in Becton a couple of times. They have veneers in all sizes and thicknesses. For small amounts such as we buy a cash approach is easiest.

Inside the entrance they have a lot of popular veneers laid out on pallets across the floor. they are mostly 3m long and vary greatly in width. I bought 1.5mm thick white oak both times and one lot came from the by the door stuff, the other involved a wait as it was stacked on racking involving a lot of fork lift shifting. I've had some that was 350mm wide to 400mm and some that was 200mm dropping to 150mm when I only needed a small amount the second time.

The 3m veneer will coil up enough to go in an estate car but the thicker stuff curves rather than rolls up.

Be prepared for the smell...the sewage beds are just the other side of the estate fence. If the wind is in the wrong direction it is really bad! Staff there don't notice it any more.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 17 Jun 2017, 18:36

Thanks Robert,

I shall possibly be going for crown cut ash and looking for a minimum of one "feature" to book match in a 1 metre long section for a coffee table top and one feature in each of two smaller panels for a pair of occasional matching tables about 400mm square.
Do you think I'm likely to find this in construction veneers? Are they reasonably hobbyist friendly to those who want to pick it all over?

Good tip on the cash front but I've no idea what it might cost. Maybe just take a wad of cash with me just in case?

Thanks Again

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stu » 17 Jun 2017, 22:35

9fingers wrote:Thanks Robert,

I shall possibly be going for crown cut ash and looking for a minimum of one "feature" to book match in a 1 metre long section for a coffee table top and one feature in each of two smaller panels for a pair of occasional matching tables about 400mm square.
Do you think I'm likely to find this in construction veneers? Are they reasonably hobbyist friendly to those who want to pick it all over?

Good tip on the cash front but I've no idea what it might cost. Maybe just take a wad of cash with me just in case?

Thanks Again

Bob

Hey Bob - I've probably got a few bits and pieces kicking around if you want to have a play before doing the real thing. No ash but i think ive got some oak which has a similar grain structure. Your welcome to pop in and pick up whatever you need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Robert » 17 Jun 2017, 23:10

Hard to remember exactly but I think the veneer for my dining table which was 3 x 3m say 400 wide was around £60 and the few narrow bits second time around about £15 or 20.

that was a few years ago and all was 1.5mm thick though it is nearer 2mm.

One other tip if you go there - have a look in their rubbish bin :) . First time I said I was just starting out with veneering so could I take some of the stuff I saw sticking out of their bin? They said yes and I came away with a pack of .5mm beech veneer. Not much use for practice but has proved invaluable as shim stock.

edit..
They'll let you pick up to a point. the stuff on the floor you can sort through but what's up in the air exposed by a fork lift is harder to be picky with.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Pinch » 18 Jun 2017, 09:29

I too have bought from Crispen - very helpful people.

Original Marquetry Ltd are very good too. Their website shows a vast stock and available sizes. 8-)

http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 18 Jun 2017, 10:22

Why aren't you going for the real thing - "no veneer in here!"

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2017, 10:40

Rod wrote:Why aren't you going for the real thing - "no veneer in here!"

Rod

Well I would like to extend my capabilities/experience by trying to veneer and I have another project in the distance that will benefit from veneering too
Secondly my understanding from the great "no veneer in here" debate was that quality furniture does tend to employ veneer.

I read somewhere recently that the bad name associated with veneer came from post ww2 utility/austerity furniture where thin veneers were applied to poor substrate materials and following that the term veneer also became associated with Contiboard and the like from the MFIs of this world.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2017, 10:43

stu wrote:Hey Bob - I've probably got a few bits and pieces kicking around if you want to have a play before doing the real thing. No ash but i think ive got some oak which has a similar grain structure. Your welcome to pop in and pick up whatever you need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Stu
Much appreciated.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 18 Jun 2017, 10:47

Nice bit of research Bob about the veneer history and why it has the reputation with many people.

A man of your skills will quickly grasp the veneering craft. I like veneering a lot - I find it therapeutic. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2017, 11:11

Don't forget this thread, Bob

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2132&p=29289&hilit=veneer#p29289

How are you going to fix it ? Traditional hide glue or vacuum press? Or iron-on adhesive?

I love working with veneer and any questions don't hesitate to ask. I also have some veneer ...in fact rather a lot. Not constructional though. I did have it advertised for sale on UKW but if you're interested then I'm sure we can work something ut.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post ... er#p976952

Why not go on Peter Sefton's veneering course if there's one running ? He uses more modern adhesives. Or if you prefer the traditional route then John Lloyd is your man.

Another vote for Crispin's. I found Original to be a bit pricey.

Are you going for the crinkly stuff that needs the Magic Flattening mix ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2017, 11:43

RogerS wrote:Don't forget this thread, Bob

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2132&p=29289&hilit=veneer#p29289

How are you going to fix it ? Traditional hide glue or vacuum press? Or iron-on adhesive?

I love working with veneer and any questions don't hesitate to ask. I also have some veneer ...in fact rather a lot. Not constructional though. I did have it advertised for sale on UKW but if you're interested then I'm sure we can work something ut.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post ... er#p976952

Why not go on Peter Sefton's veneering course if there's one running ? He uses more modern adhesives. Or if you prefer the traditional route then John Lloyd is your man.

Another vote for Crispin's. I found Original to be a bit pricey.

Are you going for the crinkly stuff that needs the Magic Flattening mix ?

Thanks for the links Roger
I'll be going the the construction veneers route as more rugged for a beginner, vacuum clamping possibly with titebond veneering goo.
This will be the first time for me using vacuum clamping despite thinking about doing it for years so I need to dig out the components collected over time for the job and build the vac pump and controls.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jun 2017, 19:55

I always use thicker veneer these days and cut my own on the bandsaw, then skim it through the Jet 16-32 drum sander; that way I have total control over over the type of veneer I can use. Joining it can be problematical as thicker veneers mean that it's almost impossible to get a really good book match. Of much more concern Bob, is that you'll have to use a long hand plane and shooting board to joint it! :lol: but once you've got a good joint, decent 3M or Tersa tape can be used to pull it up righty-tighty. You could also joint it by bearing cutting a pair of veneers along a true edge - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Jun 2017, 20:04

Woodbloke wrote:I always use thicker veneer these days and cut my own on the bandsaw, then skim it through the Jet 16-32 drum sander; that way I have total control over over the type of veneer I can use. Joining it can be problematical as thicker veneers mean that it's almost impossible to get a really good book match. Of much more concern Bob, is that you'll have to use a long hand plane and shooting board to joint it! :lol: but once you've got a good joint, decent 3M or Tersa tape can be used to pull it up righty-tighty. You could also joint it by bearing cutting a pair of veneers along a true edge - Rob

Thanks for your input Rob. I will of course only be using hand tools as a last resort :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to General Woodworking