It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:21

B&Q Plywood

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

B&Q Plywood

Postby 9fingers » 07 Oct 2018, 16:52

Normally I'd not go near B&Q for timber or sheet goods but a couple of weeks ago I had a non critical need for some 12mm ply that was not structural or going to be visible and I only needed a small piece so I donned deep disguise and slunk into the local branch.

I was quite surprised to find this was pretty good

Plywood B&Q 008.jpg
(364.38 KiB)

nominal 12mm measured up at about 11.4mm outer veneers were about 10 thou (0.25mm) so very very little scope for sanding but the upside of the thin veneer is that it hardly splinters when cutting with a decent blade on the tablesaw as the is possible nearly as much glue as veneer!

Plywood B&Q 005.jpg
(141.15 KiB)

Plywood B&Q 003.jpg
(141.58 KiB)

On a number of cuts I only found one set of voids

Plywood B&Q 001.jpg
(163.11 KiB)

The make up is 7 plies plus the veneers

Not quite a fine as 12mm real Baltic Birch (which usually also measures up slightly undersize)

Plywood B&Q 002.jpg
(159.61 KiB)

My sample has 9 almost equal plies plus you can just see the outer facing of phenolic resin which would not normally be there on standard Baltic Birch ply

Unusually virtually the next job into the shop needed a lot of very lightweight ply so based on the 12mm experience I looked back in B&Q at their 5mm offering in the same range.

Plywood B&Q 009.jpg
(358.33 KiB)

Marked as 5mm but beware it was barely 4.2 mm. Fortunately I had not machined the grooves that is had to fit into so I could accommodate the thinner stuff.

The lay up is three layers plus the perilously 10 thou thin veneers

Plywood B&Q 004.jpg
(133.45 KiB)

I had a whole 8x4 sheet and cut this into 10 components for the job so many metres of internals exposed and not a single void spotted

I don't know if this is a move by B&Q to up their reputation or I just got lucky. Looking in detail at the labels you can see this stuff is destined for several of their outlets in UK and the EU that are all part of the Kingfisher group. Maybe they have decided that a better quality product will give them less grief? who knows.

Caveat Emptor

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: B&Q Plywood

Postby Woodster » 07 Oct 2018, 18:43

I’ve bought quite a few bits of ply for structural jobs from Wickes and it seems pretty similar to your B&Q stuff. Can’t say I like it much compared to the birch ply I got from my local timber merchants but it’s a matter of price. I do plan to buy some more birch ply in 18mm and expect it to be pricey. The problem is you have to buy a complete 8’ x 4’.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 Oct 2018, 09:01

How on earth do they produce veneer that thin ? I wonder if they have some sort of 'veneer sawdust' in a glue suspension and the core then passes through rollers that apply the 'veneer' ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Oct 2018, 09:45

RogerS wrote:How on earth do they produce veneer that thin ? I wonder if they have some sort of 'veneer sawdust' in a glue suspension and the core then passes through rollers that apply the 'veneer' ?

The surface veneers look like perfectly normal wood with a natural looking grain pattern that does not appear to repeat as it might if man made. You can see it in my photos of the labels. I suspect it is fitted thicker and sanded down. That is a great testament to the quality/flatness of the plies below as any marks or voids would grin through the finished sanded veneers.
I really is surprisingly good stuff.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Oct 2018, 11:59

It seems to be a similar product that I used on my recent cabinets and drawers.

Yes, I could only give it a very light sanding before I sealed it with a WBP.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Oct 2018, 18:23

Woodster wrote:I’ve bought quite a few bits of ply for structural jobs from Wickes

Same here; Wickes is usually now my first port of call for shed grade ply and generally it's not too bad. Looks like Bn'Poo may have upped their game unless Bob9f got lucky :D as in the past it's been appalling - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coolhands » 12 Nov 2018, 21:09

Coincidentally I happened to watch this short film about plywood recently

https://youtu.be/eF5LVBW1vl8
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Nov 2018, 11:12

:text-bravo: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I love videos like that, very calming to watch.

:text-goodpost:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Nov 2018, 11:24

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 13 Nov 2018, 11:37

I was interested to see that to a first approximation the diameter of the logs they started with in the second film were about the same as the rejected ones in the first.
Possibly driven my the need to use less mature trees and to get greater yields. Also good illustration of far less manpower nowadays with computer control of much of the process.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to General Woodworking