It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:27

Rare and Interesting Woodworking-related Books and Pamphlets

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Rare and Interesting Woodworking-related Books and Pamphlets

Postby Trevanion » 02 Oct 2020, 23:04

I picked these up little gems up recently, I know they're pretty rare and I can think of one or two who may be interested in looking at them, Ahem... AndyT, ToolsnTat... ;)

Unfortunately the Pamphlets aren't in great condition, pretty fragile, one has a bit of water damage and the front cover isn't attached anymore, and another has the front cover missing has but they are circa 100 years old or so and I don't believe there are many survivors, not too bad really for their age!

I was aware these existed because Lost Art Press turned the Door Making and Window Making Pamphlets into a combined book a number of years ago, but I didn't know there were other volumes such as the Elementary Staircasing one.

Also finally got an original copy of Cassell's Carpentry and Joinery, I've got a pretty rubbish re-print of the version available in the public domain but the genuine real deal is unbeatable. It's absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by Trevanion on 14 Feb 2021, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Luring Out a Couple of People with Rare Pamphlets/Books

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2020, 23:11

Ooooh, I like those. I've cut a few of those scarfs........
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 03 Oct 2020, 08:49

See you found the legendary Hasluck. He was a good author.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby 9fingers » 03 Oct 2020, 09:12

Unless they have registered under different names, I don’t think AndyT or Toolsntat are members here but would be most welcome nevertheless.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Trevanion » 03 Oct 2020, 11:07

9fingers wrote: I don’t think AndyT or Toolsntat are members here but would be most welcome nevertheless.

I know they are watching, even if they aren't members. Once I've got them here...

THEY WILL BE HERE FOREVER :twisted:

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:See you found the legendary Hasluck. He was a good author.

He was a very prolific writer had such a diverse range of topics he wrote about, you only have to look at his wikipedia page and see the list of his authored work to go "How the hell can one man know so much" especially in the early twentieth century!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Nooncree_Hasluck
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Oct 2020, 13:40

Trevanion wrote:
9fingers wrote: I don’t think AndyT or Toolsntat are members here but would be most welcome nevertheless.

I know they are watching, even if they aren't members. Once I've got them here...

Come on out of the closet guys, we'd love to have you posting here.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 Oct 2020, 19:48

Not quite in the league of your collection Trevanion but I have a 1947 copy of The Woodworker ... the pictures always make me think of a Harry & Paul sketch ...

IMG_4573.jpg
(267.38 KiB)

IMG_4574.jpg
(246.05 KiB)

IMG_4575.jpg
(307.43 KiB)

IMG_4576.jpg
(253.86 KiB)

IMG_4579.jpg
(208.68 KiB)
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Trevanion » 03 Oct 2020, 20:59

Blackswanwood wrote:Not quite in the league of your collection Trevanion but I have a 1947 copy of The Woodworker ...

When I was in college they must've had hundreds upon hundreds of old woodworker magazines stacked up in a cupboard, no idea how far they dated back but they were old, I definitely remember seeing one from the 30s! I think they had been donated by a widow whose husband had a serious collection of them.

I really like that bit on nails!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Oct 2020, 21:06

For some reason my dad collected the American magazine Popular Mechanic. He had hundreds of them starting just after WW2. Goodness knows what happened to them, but they had lots of good woodworking projects, as well as an inordinate number of gun rack builds.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 03 Oct 2020, 21:47

I’ve loads of old books, magazines etc inherited from various long dead relatives some I never even knew, this is a 30s woodworker I took a photo of for someone a few years back but there’s were many from the 30s, 40s & 50s

6C677C04-50B0-4BE8-AB7F-AC1AC1E042DE.jpeg
(277.2 KiB)

Somewhere I have a copy of the Woodworker’s pocket book edited by Charles H Haywood, a great little book that belonged to my wife’s grandad.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Oct 2020, 09:58

Doug wrote:Somewhere I have a copy of the Woodworker’s pocket book edited by Charles H Haywood, a great little book that belonged to my wife’s grandad.

Same here; a great little ref book (orange cover, hardback) which was one of the very first woodwork books I bought

The only other old pamphlet or book I have is this one by Haywood on making woodworking tools, originally belonging to LCC when Shoreditch College was in Pitfield St.

IMG_4954.jpg
(279.9 KiB)

IMG_4955.jpg
(219.52 KiB)

When the college moved to Englefield Green, nr Egham some time in the fifties, I 'liberated' :eusa-whistle: it from the College Library on 30th Jan 1976 when I was a student. I haven't been back to pay the fine :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Oct 2020, 11:21

Woodbloke wrote:When the college moved to Englefield Green, nr Egham some time in the fifties, I 'liberated' :eusa-whistle: it from the College Library on 30th Jan 1976 when I was a student. I haven't been back to pay the fine :lol: - Rob

My school used to have a student from Shoreditch College every year for woodwork in the 60s. In fact, I very nearly thought about going into teaching woodwork after A levels and remember getting the Green Line bus to Englefield Green to visit the college. Some of the stories the students told me of life at the college would make your hair stand on end!! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Oct 2020, 14:10

Malc2098 wrote: Some of the stories the students told me of life at the college would make your hair stand on end!! :)

I've probably heard them all Malc. Heard the one about Queen Victoria's footprints in Windsor or the maggots in the girls accommodation block? -
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Oct 2020, 14:43

Woodbloke wrote:
Malc2098 wrote: Some of the stories the students told me of life at the college would make your hair stand on end!! :)

I've probably heard them all Malc. Heard the one about Queen Victoria's footprints in Windsor or the maggots in the girls accommodation block? -

No, but the one that stands out in my memory is the motorcycle combination fuelled with ether taking off at Coopers Hill!

But I think you should share the two you mentioned above! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Oct 2020, 16:31

Malc2098 wrote:But I think you should share the two you mentioned above! :D

The first one is hillarious! For a rag week stunt, some of the lads went into the workshop and made a dainty plywood cut out of a ladies foot. Having 'procured' :eusa-whistle: some white bitumastic road paint (which don't come off easily) they then then stealthily proceeded in the dead of night to paint a series of white footsteps leading from Queen Victoria's statue outside Windsor Castle to the ladies loo about 50m away :lol:

The second one isn't nearly so funny and did cause some of us to feel sorry for the girls on campus. Again, it happened in the dead of night when one of lads (we never found out who did it) emptied a full ice cream container of maggots in the middle of the girl's accommodation block. By 7am the maggots had found their way under the girl's doors and into all sorts of nooks and crannies in the rooms. Very unpleasant :(

Another thing that happened was during Teaching Practice. The college car park that the coaches used for TP was more or less enclosed by a large wall. There were some gaps in it but not big enough for a large coach to exit. It just so happened that there was a very large commercial skip in the car park at the time, and one particular lad had an old Landrover Defender which he used to shunt the skip in front of the only large entrance, thus trapping the coaches in the car park. Having done the deed, he then made a hasty retreat through one of the other smaller exits :lol: They tried to remove the skip by towing it with a tractor, but it was so heavy, the tractor just did a 'wheelie'. The only way they could remove the skip was by hiring a huge commercial crane and physically lifting the thing out the way!

Happy days! - Rob

...and then of course there was Elton John who did a gig free and gratis! I missed it as I was down the pub with some mates :(
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Oct 2020, 17:47

Woodbloke wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

...and then of course there was Elton John who did a gig free and gratis! I missed it as I was down the pub with some mates :(

You boys! :D

Of course, Elt only lived round the corner.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Phil » 05 Oct 2020, 13:33

Mike G wrote:For some reason my dad collected the American magazine Popular Mechanic. He had hundreds of them starting just after WW2. Goodness knows what happened to them, but they had lots of good woodworking projects, as well as an inordinate number of gun rack builds.

I have some from the 70's? Not sure what happened to them when we moved. :(
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby AndyT » 26 Nov 2020, 13:40

Sorry to have been a bit slow in replying to this thread, but normal service is on the way now.

Meanwhile, here's a taster from my own library - some of them will look a bit familiar!

WW1907.jpg
(473.04 KiB)

WWbooklets1.jpg
(409.46 KiB)

WWbooklets2.jpg
(356.52 KiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 26 Nov 2020, 13:55

I just bought a lovely book on carving from 1936...."Wood Decoration with V -Tool and Gouge" by A.W.Lewis. That, believe it or not, is my first-ever woodworking book purchase.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 26 Nov 2020, 14:21

Don't worry Mike, there may be a few of us above you on the slope, offering a bit of nudge when it's needed... ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Alasdair » 26 Nov 2020, 14:39

The articles on windows and doors are just the way I was taught, they brought back may memories of having a grumpy old joiner thumping me with his walking stick when I made a mistake. Worst thing is he would never tell me what the mistake was as he'd already shown me what to do I had to work it out and do it right or face another whack with a knarly old walking stick :lol: :lol: Apprentices now a days don't know how lucky they are :lol: :lol:
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Nov 2020, 14:46

Here's my contribution. My grandfathers 1951 collection of The Woodworker.

IMG_20201126_142201277.jpg
(202.44 KiB)

Of specific interest a section on how to build a shed.
An alternative approach to Mike's way.
IMG_20201126_142122517.jpg
(458.6 KiB)

IMG_20201126_142038414.jpg
(485.45 KiB)

IMG_20201126_141919731.jpg
(390.18 KiB)

The only timber used appears to be the construction of the formers for the concrete!
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Trevanion » 27 Nov 2020, 14:54

That is quite the collection! Are the colourful ones the Hayward series of woodworker books? I think I’ve seen them before elsewhere (probably from you actually thinking about it :lol:)

The Softwoods and Colonial Timbers book must be an interesting little book if the other ones in the series are anything to go by. I wonder how many surviving copies of the series are out there as they don’t pop up often at all!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 27 Nov 2020, 16:58

Trevanion wrote:That is quite the collection! Are the colourful ones the Hayward series of woodworker books? I think I’ve seen them before elsewhere (probably from you actually thinking about it :lol:)

The Softwoods and Colonial Timbers book must be an interesting little book if the other ones in the series are anything to go by. I wonder how many surviving copies of the series are out there as they don’t pop up often at all!

Yes, the colourful ones are all the inimitable Mr Hayward. Most of them are marked as conforming to the Book Production War Economy Standard and they all have that make do and mend feel to them. True to the spirit of recycling, all the material had been published in the Woodworker magazine before it appeared in these. At least, I have found that to be true on some of the articles where I have the right issues; I've not done a complete forensic examination. Nor do I have - or have space for - a complete run of the Woodworker.*

On the other hand, I do have the reprint of Volume 1 - 1901 - 1902 which they put out in 1976. This enables me to confirm that the content of the booklets on Joints and Timbers had all appeared in the magazine, under the name of "A Practical Joiner" - presumably the editor, Percival Marshall.

I expect the same goes for the rest of the series.

When the subject of woodworking mags comes up on a forum, people often complain that they all recycle the same content every few years. It's been like that for quite a long time!

*but when the odd bound volume has come my way, I've not rejected it.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Vann » 28 Nov 2020, 20:46

Alasdair wrote:...they brought back may memories of having a grumpy old joiner thumping me with his walking stick when I made a mistake...

When I started my apprenticeship (1973) I remember commenting to one of my fellow apprentices about the large number of grumpy old buggers...

And now I am one :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking