It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:28

Laguna Positive Brand Values

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Laguna Positive Brand Values

Postby Blackswanwood » 15 Feb 2021, 23:52

Over the past six months I have been indecisively researching the purchase of a new bandsaw. A couple of weeks ago I stopped dithering and decided to buy a Laguna 14BX. Suddenly none were available and I was about to preorder one for delivery in June when a speculative e-Mail to Grovewood Machinery found the last one for sale in the UK.

The deal was done quickly with an exchange of e-mails with a very helpful chap called Nick. Communication was spot on about despatch, a check that it had arrived and that I was happy with everything.

The machine is very well engineered and substantially better that the Scheppach being replaced. However my heart sank when I cleaned the protective gunk off the table and found some tiny bits of “pitting”. I sent Nick a picture which promptly went on to Laguna who called me directly to apologise and say a new table was being couriered to me. No quibbling or fuss at all.

I am a believer that things go wrong from time to time in all organisations and the real measure of a company’s values is they way they respond. Full marks to Laguna!
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Re: Laguna Positive Brand Values

Postby TrimTheKing » 15 Feb 2021, 23:55

Excellent, I do like a good customer service story, well done for calling it out. It’s all too easy to call out when it’s bad but not when it’s good so I like to make a point of sharing and congratulating quality service.

Fancy sharing a review of the Laguna...?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Blackswanwood » 16 Feb 2021, 00:09

Will do Mark. I am awaiting some Turkish Walnut arriving which will need cutting into veneers which will make a good case study.

Cheers
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby MattS » 16 Feb 2021, 10:04

I do know the name Laguna, but isn't one you see all the time - are they new to the UK?
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 16 Feb 2021, 10:49

MattS wrote:I do know the name Laguna, but isn't one you see all the time - are they new to the UK?

They've been here for a few years at least. Yandles are due to start selling their stuff soon.

From what I hear most of the UK stock is sold before it arrives - I guess there's a fine balance between predicting sales and ordering stock.

Although I don't have the space for one of their table saws they look nice and the pricing didn't make me fall off my chair.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 16 Feb 2021, 12:39

They are a US firm. As I understand it they launched some dust extractors in the UK a few years ago and have then gradually built out the range of machines being offered. From memory they launched their bandsaw range in the UK about three years ago.

As Mark suggested I will post a review of the machine I have bought shortly.

Cheers
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Feb 2021, 14:15

Blackswanwood wrote:They are a US firm. As I understand it they launched some dust extractors in the UK a few years ago and have then gradually built out the range of machines being offered. From memory they launched their bandsaw range in the UK about three years ago.

As Mark suggested I will post a review of the machine I have bought shortly.

Cheers

Am I correct in that Laguna is badged chinese import machinery albeit with enhanced quality control?
I wonder what the spares support is like as that can be a problem with Chinese imported kit.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Blackswanwood » 16 Feb 2021, 15:52

9fingers wrote:
Am I correct in that Laguna is badged chinese import machinery albeit with enhanced quality control?
I wonder what the spares support is like as that can be a problem with Chinese imported kit.

Bob

Manufactured in Taiwan. Laguna own the design rights and tooling. Laguna USA employ the QC guys directly.

My research came to the conclusion that most bandsaws are generic machines coming out of the same factory in China just painted a different colour.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Feb 2021, 16:19

Whatever the diplomats say, China and Taiwan are two different countries with different outlooks on the world. I suspect the Taiwanese people would be offended if they thought you lumped their industrial output in with the Chinese.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Blackswanwood » 16 Feb 2021, 16:33

Malc2098 wrote:Whatever the diplomats say, China and Taiwan are two different countries with different outlooks on the world. I suspect the Taiwanese people would be offended if they thought you lumped their industrial output in with the Chinese.

I wasn't lumping them together. Possibly my reply was badly worded.

I asked Laguna specifically where the machine was made (open post on another forum a few months ago) and discounted others who would not tell me where their manufacturing was done as I am actively trying to not buy things made in China.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Feb 2021, 17:23

Quite agree that these day ex Taiwan products are a cut above Chinese output.

The other factor that affects the products from both places is the degree of QC imposed by the importers which can vary from next to nothing to having full time staff embedded in the factories.

The machine designs from china are indeed highly generic. It seems almost open source designs with castings made in a range of foundries, machined in a variety of workshops and painted and accessorised according to requirements of the importers hence the slight differences we observe between otherwise similar machines on offer.

The Nick that the OP refers above to may indeed be Nick Brown aka Laguna Nick who previously worked for Brimarc/Axi. He is a top class chap and very helpful indeed.

If I did not already have my xcalibur table saw, I certainly be looking at the Laguna offerings.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 17 Feb 2021, 00:53

I bought the UK version of the Laguna Platinum before the company ceased to trade. It got excellent reviews.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Feb 2021, 10:35

Just googled them.
Interested to see they are based just 8 miles away.
Guess that it’s a coincidence, but they are on the same road as Charnwood.

I am interested in a new table saw, but their offerings look too big and a bit too pricey for me, look suitable for someone making a living doing woodwork though.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 May 2021, 18:11

Just ordered a Laguna 14/12, They're contacting me tomorrow for delivery later this week.

I think there maybe one left unstuck if anyone's interested.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 11 May 2021, 20:08

It's arrived during a downpour!

8F90B8F2-AE9C-4BCA-83EA-9B5D285376B0.jpeg
(476.59 KiB)

Now I've somehow got to get 150kgs of it up the garden, including 5 steps, to the workshop.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 11 May 2021, 20:52

Blimey, Malcolm. That's going to be a test.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 May 2021, 20:57

I can feel twinges in my back just thinking about it! :lol:
Levers, blocks and rollers at the ready.
Best of luck
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 11 May 2021, 21:09

Thanks, Bob, I can see you're feeling my pain. ;)

I have a mate with a few more muscles than me, and a sack barrow. Together, and with a couple of straps, I think we can do it.

Strangely, the shape doesn't seem to be the same as the box being unboxed on their website video. We'll see tomorrow when I take the black plastic off. Tonight, I've rammed my car up against it. Fingers cross it's not raining in the morning.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby sunnybob » 12 May 2021, 05:21

By the time you get the box of accessories, fence, cast iron table and even the motor unbolted, the carcass will be easy to move.
seems a touch on the large side for making guitars and banjos though? :D
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby clogs » 12 May 2021, 06:01

Taiwan,
I must agree a lot of high end equipment is made there........
I have one of the last Myford milling machines, it is proudly stated on the manuf plate where it was made...plus a few other machines made there.....and I'm happy with them all.....never needed any spares yet.....
Plus several of my machines have Taiwan motors....one is over 20 years old.....!!!!
I also beleive that a certain supplier of carbide spiral tipped cutter heads (planer) are made for them there...

but I'm sure perhaps in another 5 years or so the standard of Chinese manufacturer's will improve generaly....then most the junk will be made in India and the Phillipenes etc....and who knows where....

Japan's early output was not that brilliant but look at them now.....

It's just the penny pinching, profit generating, greedy accountants that causes all the problems...
Let the engineers design the tools, mass production will help with the lower costings.....

When younger it was explained that tools cost more in the UK (UK manufactured) because we only tooled up for a few thousand items but in the US they tooled up to make 100,000' plus, if not millons...
it's all a matter of scale....

lastley I wish people like Tesco's etc would supply food stuff's in things like Tupperwear....a few pennies extra to the item cost but a GREAT savings in useing these items for storage.....
I reuse as many packaging items as poss even if it's only one time......

For example when my wife's hair get dyed there are several little plastic bottle with the kit......
these I wash out and use as oil can/drippers....filled with dif oils depending on where used.....
must have given hundreds away to friends.....gotta save the planet.....

sorry to have driffed of the subject......enjoy your new saw.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 May 2021, 06:56

Malc2098 wrote:It's arrived during a downpour!

8F90B8F2-AE9C-4BCA-83EA-9B5D285376B0.jpeg

Now I've somehow got to get 150kgs of it up the garden, including 5 steps, to the workshop.

One of the pleasant things about Axminster is that they will deliver your very heavy lump of machinery into your workshop and not just dump it at the side of the road - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 May 2021, 12:40

It was a package deal; mobility kit and 4 Starrett blades.

FFFE0E2C-7E29-4343-A85B-CD928656FAA7.jpeg
(510.81 KiB)

E8B4CDF7-8F54-405D-99E7-31D1E12F27C2.jpeg
(378.11 KiB)

7E838EB5-68A9-48D3-B50E-E8D424F248B4.jpeg
(269 KiB)

I removed the top layer of parts from the box, including the cast iron table to reduce the overall weight and re-strapped the box. Heaved it onto a couple of wheeled dollies and pushed it round the back of the house and up the first step onto the patio. There's it's going to stay till my muscle arrives and while I have a lie down! :D

B0907897-891D-44AE-BE3B-29EE65C1CA70.jpeg
(562.95 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2021, 13:06

Mildly intrigued about the reasons for the new machine relatively soon after getting the iTech saw

Apart from the sellers customer service I don’t recall reading that you did not like it?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 12 May 2021, 13:20

9fingers wrote:Mildly intrigued about the reasons for the new machine relatively soon after getting the iTech saw

Apart from the sellers customer service I don’t recall reading that you did not like it?

Bob

The iTech is a table saw and is 3 years old now. I have used it continuously since new and it has suited me as a hobbyist. I have also used it as a making up table, too, as my 'shop is quite small.

I've had a SIP bandsaw for over 20 years which I bought at one of Yandles days in 2000. Since I've been a hobby maker and used it more, I've not felt it accurate enough for some of the work that i've done, especially the single trunnion. It's been difficult to keep it square, especially after using an angled cut.

So, I stopped smoking a few years ago and every now and then I treat myself with something that I couldn't have done when spending money on tobacco.

And on this forum there has been a discussion about whether a table saw is necessary if there is a bandsaw in the 'shop. I suppose I could find try and out now. ;)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 12 May 2021, 13:40

Ah my mistake Malcolm
I mistook the Laguna to be another table saw mainly as it one was on my shopping list when I bought the Xcalibur as a delta unisaw clone as used by my mentor Norm.
I’ll get back under my stone.

Also relevant was robs comment about ax delivering into the workshop. They did not used to as I was one of the press ganged labour who moved his dirty get big bs from kerb to shop a few years back :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to General Woodworking