It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:21

What are you doing in the workshop this weekend?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: What are you doing in the workshop this weekend?

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Apr 2021, 10:23

Mike G wrote:I imagine you house being stuffed full of furniture, Rob, and you needing to have a "one-in, one-out" policy. :lol: Either that, or you build a new piece, take the photos, then disassemble it and use the wood for the next one. :lol: :lol:

It's getting a bit tight Mike, to be fair :lol: but I have one or two unoccupied bits of wall and floor space that present 'possibilities' :eusa-whistle: Disassembling old stuff made years ago and replacing with somat better has been going on now for a while - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Apr 2021, 10:30

Cabinetman wrote:Looks very good Nick, I like the proportions. Always easier to fit the door catches before you fit the back in the cabinet particularly those push to open ones. Ian

The same with drawers. Whenever possible, I never fit them after the back panel has been fitted; with an 'open' carcase you can see exactly where the drawer is binding from the rear (if at all) as it progressively slide in, which makes life slightly more easy that it might otherwise have been - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 18 Apr 2021, 12:55

Dr.Al wrote:... This weekend will probably involve a heck of a lot of hand planing to get all the bits the same size...

shavings_jig_and_planed_pieces.jpg
(54.41 KiB)

big_pile_of_shavings.jpg
(59.97 KiB)

That's just the ones that ended up on the bench - I didn't photograph the pile on the floor!
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Mike G » 18 Apr 2021, 13:02

If you've got a wood burner, Dr Al, shavings make the most brilliant way of starting a fire. You'll never need a firelighter again.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 18 Apr 2021, 13:37

Mike G wrote:If you've got a wood burner, Dr Al, shavings make the most brilliant way of starting a fire. You'll never need a firelighter again.

Alas I don't have a wood burner, but I have used them to light the chiminea (if I've spelled that right) a few times. It doesn't get that much use, so most will probably go to waste, especially since the walnut probably precludes me bunging them in the compost (although I wondered if they would make a good alternative to bubble wrap). It does seem a shame to chuck them out when they look so pretty!
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Cabinetman » 18 Apr 2021, 13:49

They also make very good bedding for chickens, when I can’t get my feet under the plinth on my bench anymore that’s when I dig them all out, and them stuff them in a bag for my chicken woman. (Sounds like something from a horror movie ha ha)
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Andyp » 18 Apr 2021, 15:07

Not in the workshop, sat outside in the sun. But the closest I have come to woodwork in over month.

My kindling axe is not the sharpest and desperately needs a new handle but after 20 mins produced this.

44467543-37F3-4B77-A602-071E6ECA45AD.jpeg
(646.58 KiB)

That’s a bit more than a weeks worth if I make the fire.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Apr 2021, 16:32

Removed 4ft brick and timber clad wall today (mainly involved watching Mrs AJB do it). Cleared up. Had a good ponder on foundations. Completed under plinth wiring in kitchen. Got big ladder out and fixed a bit of gutter. Removed redundant light from 6 metres up. Felt a bit idle today.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 18 Apr 2021, 17:45

Didn't get the moulding finished, its ready to go through the spindle moulder though.
Modified a cutter for the moulding.
Been fighting with broody chickens for the last week - normal service has at last been resumed.
Removed the snow plough from the mower, service the mower, reattached the mower deck and fingers crossed have sorted out its ongoing leak from the hydraulic drive.
Baked and ate cake.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 18 Apr 2021, 19:24

I got around to changing the brake pads on the car, I reckon I had a few miles left yet, despite the car telling me that I needed to take it to a main dealer as soon as possible.

Didn't touch the machine sadly, I got otherwise preoccupied with giving the workshop a good clean-up as it had become a complete travesty.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Apr 2021, 19:35

:text-+1:

My modest workshop is super clean and tidy, and indeed fragrant, as a result of a member here plus entourage coming for a visit. It was such a disgrace that I was forced into action.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chippyjoe » 18 Apr 2021, 19:39

Bit late replying to the question Mike as the week end is all but over. However if we can "Pretend" it is Friday evening, then on the to do list is remove PVC door from the workshop and replace with a Lathams steel security door and then pick up a second hand Sedgwick morticer.
Glad to say it all went well Lol.

Mark.
Chippyjoe
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Apr 2021, 20:22

Lathams steel security door. Hmmm.....I shall have to look them up. I'm contemplating a steel door for my forthcoming bike shed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Apr 2021, 20:27

AJB Temple wrote:......My modest workshop is super clean and tidy, and indeed fragrant, as a result of a member here plus entourage coming for a visit. It was such a disgrace that I was forced into action.

It was a picture of tidiness. I was very impressed. Lots of windows and natural light, too, but it's pigeon-loft shaped, rather than workshop shaped.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Apr 2021, 21:42

Which is why I need a new one :D
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 19 Apr 2021, 09:27

This weekend I will be making new architrave and skirting for my hall. I need to make enough to go around 5 doors. It will be made from MRMDF with matt black profiled edges and veneered with rippled sycamore in the centre then given good couple of coats of lacquer to get a nice glossy shine on the wood. While doing that need to make a louvre door for the hall cupboard and if I have enough 25mm MDF then the parts for 2 doors that will have 2 half length lights of lead window *made by SWMBO) to be rippled sycamore on one side and crown cut oak veneer on the other and then a the parts for a nice quadrant door for the WC now it has been redone and has a new toilet position, I find I can''t actually close the door without breaking my toes as will anyone with larger than size 7 feet.

So in answer to you question Mike, not much so will probably sand and prep some of RogerS's Oval window frames lol
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2021, 14:11

droogs wrote:This weekend I will be making new architrave and skirting for my hall. I need to make enough to go around 5 doors. It will be made from MRMDF with matt black profiled edges and veneered with rippled sycamore in the centre then given good couple of coats of lacquer to get a nice glossy shine on the wood.....

Those sound quite striking. Have you got any pictures?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tracerman » 19 Apr 2021, 18:00

Mike - my house IS stuffed with furniture , we were minimalists but somewhere along the line we have become maximilists , Same goes for my garage/workshop , hence my renewed ads in " for Sale" , need space for the oncoming wine-making season . Priorities .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby droogs » 19 Apr 2021, 20:49

Will put up some picks when done MikeG. Delayed due to delivery of sheets put back to tomorrow. So will be making during the week instead. Just got to find where I put the vacuum press bits, all I found on Sunday was the pump lol
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Previous

Return to General Woodworking