It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Holtey Hammer

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Holtey Hammer

Postby Lurker » 18 May 2021, 14:39

Here is one that can be had for oooooo! .........£350

Limited edition
Handle made from carefully selected and seasoned English hardwood.
High grade brass
Rare exotic hardwood inset.

..... I am not making any more
Hawthorn branch I found whilst hedgelaying,thrown into the garage and forgotten about for a number of years.
Brass from a large assembly destined for an astute sub build, that was out of tolerance by two gnats.
African black wood maybe
Attachments
9586BCB2-BEF2-4CC4-9674-DB159D3DFF32.jpeg
(639.93 KiB)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 May 2021, 16:27

AJB Temple wrote:I like the K Holtey planes. I know they are crazy expensive, but they are works of art. If someone gave me one I would be overjoyed.

Can see too that Oliver Sparks makes nice things. However, I wonder what the purpose of some of them is. Pretty much the only things available for sale on his website are Scarab Finger Planes at £510. They look very pretty, but I can't think what I would ever use one for. Even with luthiery work (which I no longer do sadly).

I'm probably more likely to fork out for a Skelton saw, which I know I would use a lot, than a super expensive plane. That said I am trying to make a saw similar to one of his. Had two false starts with unsatisfactory steel so far. Handles are bog oak fro you know who.

I used David Charlesworth's low angle Holtey (pronounced 'Holtie', as in the thing you put round your neck) at an event some years ago (you were there Mark); very pleasant it was too, especially at planing some nice, benign, straight grained maple (note the sarcasm :D )

If you use Instagram, as I do, it's well worth following Shane to see what he gets up to; quite interesting in fact. Last year I needed find some info on Peacock Oil, which he makes and I couldn't find it anywhere online, so I found his website wherein is a direct 'fone line, so I gave him a bell and had a natter with the man himself in his 'shop for about 25mins. He also said if there were any other issues I was having, all I had to do was give him a shout.

Top banana of a bloke! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 21 May 2021, 19:04

Recognised the name but not looked at Hotley planes before, ended up on Google and saw this. Not sure I’ve seen a more expensive plane!

https://www.workshopheaven.com/holtey-a ... plane.html
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 21 May 2021, 20:15

i dunno' have you tried buying anything 2nd hand off me
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Lurker » 21 May 2021, 20:28

MattS wrote:Recognised the name but not looked at Hotley planes before, ended up on Google and saw this. Not sure I’ve seen a more expensive plane!

https://www.workshopheaven.com/holtey-a ... plane.html

I visited his workshop about ten years ago although I made it clear that I could not possibly afford his wares he made me very welcome.
Having been associated with machine shops that produce equipment for nuclear, his machinery skills are as good or better. At the level he works to, his finished product were very cheap.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby clogs » 22 May 2021, 08:12

I thought I was spending to much on my leather handled Estwing......really cant remember how old it is....
still nice to use but who uses a claw hammer these days.....???
it's in my hammer drawer and think of it as a friend....lot's of memories with that tool......
mostly Paslode and an air nailer staplers now for me now....
did also buy their largest framing hammer (cross ground face) which has been nicked.....
prob got about 40 hammers and mallets in my working collection....
all get used occ from a tiny pin hammer up to the 14lb'er sledge....mostly engineering tho...
handiest hamer when in trouble is a lump hammer head on a long shaft......
you can never have enough hammers.....
bough most of mine thru estate sales, kept the best and moved the rest.....hahaha....

have a great weekend making splinters.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 22 May 2021, 08:32

My absolute favourite hammer is an upholstery hammer. When I first set up home on my own, I reupholstered some dining chairs. I was still a teenager so I must have been confident. The chairs and table came from "The Thrift Shop" which was full of second hand stuff that was dirt cheap and would be either in the tip or on eBay by now.

No idea where the hammer came from but it has a bronze head, one face is magnetized so you can hold a tack and pop it in, the other, bigger face, is a piece of steel. Handle is hickory. I am in bed so this is not a picture of it but mine is the same as it seems they are famous and still made:

Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 08.26.44.png
(915.38 KiB)

They are about £50 to £60 now, depending on weight. No idea how much I paid. I would not have been able to afford much but I generally didn't buy rubbish tools.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 May 2021, 10:13

My favourite hammer type is a telephone hammer. I've a couple in various workshops and are excellent for light work weighing at typically 4oz or a hundred newfangled grammes.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Lurker » 22 May 2021, 10:27

I had to google telephone hammer as I have never heard of that. Why are they so called?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 May 2021, 10:44

Lurker wrote:I had to google telephone hammer as I have never heard of that. Why are they so called?

They were used by old school POTS engineers. Possible still some subscriber installation work where they are ideal on modern systems.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 22 May 2021, 11:01

Here’s a nice little one.

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alf » 22 May 2021, 11:14

Woodster wrote:Here’s a nice little one.

Now that is a pretty hammer.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 22 May 2021, 11:18

Ah, if we're talking favourite hammers, that's a tough one. I've got a plethora of hammers ranging from the 28oz Estwing rip-claw hammer with a vinyl handle I use most days, to various sized ball peins, Thor insert hammers with rubber, plastic, rawhide and copper inserts, just a very general range of them that cover most tasks really.

But I think if I had to choose one that meant a lot to me, it would have to be the Stanley 3 1/2oz cross-pein (could possibly be regarded as a telephone hammer?) that I have. It's a wonderfully dainty feeling thing with a lovely slim ash handle about a foot-long, I've had to re-secure the head once and I've shellacked the handle since I've had it but it was a near-immaculate object when I first had it. The reason it means a lot to me is that it belonged to my grandmother who was a professional seamstress who had it in her collection of tools, she passed away from breast cancer five years before I was born, so it's a bit of a link to a part of the family I never got to meet.

A bit soppy, I know, but every time I use it (not too often) for something I do get a small warm feeling inside this cold heart of mine.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 May 2021, 11:47

I'm surprised that there has been no mention yet of a hammerfore.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 22 May 2021, 12:13

Andyp wrote:I'm surprised that there has been no mention yet of a hammerfore.

Ok Andy, ill take the fall so others can enjoy.

Whats a hammerfore?
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodster » 22 May 2021, 12:28

Hitting things! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 May 2021, 12:31

novocaine wrote:
Andyp wrote:I'm surprised that there has been no mention yet of a hammerfore.

Ok Andy, ill take the fall so others can enjoy.

Whats a hammerfore?
i think it might be the French spelling confusing you Dave.

Uk spelling is usually Hammerfor :lol:
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 22 May 2021, 12:48

There we go the jokes been set free and we can all move on. Someone else can be the fall guy next time please. :D
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 22 May 2021, 12:58

Thanks Dave

Or should I say Sorry
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 22 May 2021, 13:28

I don’t yet have a Japanese Hammer but have thought of getting one. I’d like one of these but €499 is a bit too much.

https://www.dictum.com/en/hammers-bafa/ ... mer-705692

1CC2725B-F827-4CDD-9EA2-57751FC3F3C6.jpeg
(22.44 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 22 May 2021, 14:06

Yes, that Dictum price is a lot. I have a similar hammer, but with feather Damascus, that I bought on a whim in Kyoto for the equivalent of about £60 after a bit of bargaining. Bought a few Japanese tools and one day I will learn to use them properly. Or sell them for vastly inflated sums.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 May 2021, 08:55

AJB Temple wrote:Yes, that Dictum price is a lot. I have a similar hammer, but with feather Damascus, that I bought on a whim in Kyoto for the equivalent of about £60 after a bit of bargaining. Bought a few Japanese tools and one day I will learn to use them properly. Or sell them for vastly inflated sums.

What you actually pay for with these very fancy ‘Damascus’ Japanese tools (inc chisels) is the undoubted skill of the blacksmith who made them; by and large, they’re made for the Western market where they’re sold. The don’t though, work any better than a bog standard, good quality hammer (or chisel); they just look prettier.

I’t a bit like ‘go faster’ stripes on a car; believe it or not, when I was an apprentice I met a fellow Lambretta rider who really believed that ‘go faster’ stripes on his side panels would give him an extra 10mph :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 May 2021, 11:13

Woodbloke wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:Yes, that Dictum price is a lot. I have a similar hammer, but with feather Damascus, that I bought on a whim in Kyoto for the equivalent of about £60 after a bit of bargaining. Bought a few Japanese tools and one day I will learn to use them properly. Or sell them for vastly inflated sums.

What you actually pay for with these very fancy ‘Damascus’ Japanese tools (inc chisels) is the undoubted skill of the blacksmith who made them; by and large, they’re made for the Western market where they’re sold. The don’t though, work any better than a bog standard, good quality hammer (or chisel); they just look prettier.

I’t a bit like ‘go faster’ stripes on a car; believe it or not, when I was an apprentice I met a fellow Lambretta rider who really believed that ‘go faster’ stripes on his side panels would give him an extra 10mph :lol: - Rob

Did you catch him?! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AJB Temple » 23 May 2021, 12:05

That is completely wrong Rob. Everyone knows that feather pattern Damascus steel give a light as a feather blow, perfect in fact for Holtey planes. It has been developed over thousands of years and the method was almost lost, but luckily a hermit in a secret cave kept the flicker of the method alive.

It's also a well known fact that special steel like this has been used to beat out swords. In Japan everything basically comes from swords.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 23 May 2021, 12:14

Didnt relaise that damascus was in Japan. No wonder i failed geography, i thought it was in Syria.
novocaine
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking