It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:42

Chair design

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Which chair style do you prefer

Chair 1
100%
Chair 2
No votes

Total votes : 9

Chair design

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2021, 17:18

LOML is looking at buying some chairs and likes this design. But there are a couple of places she can get them from and so I wondered which one you guys preferred. Ignore the type of wood and finish.

There is another more interesting wrinkle but I'll leave that to the end.

Chair 1

Chair 2

Now to the interesting bit. She doesn't like the cord seats and would prefer something in wood but which will have a cushion on it.

So I was kind of thinking something like this

Nothing too strenuous. The main difficulty I see (apart from trying to match the finish/colour) is how to to fix them. Since they won't be needing to provide any structural strength to the chair then I was thinking of perhaps metal dowels glued into the side pieces of the chair and then the seat slotted over the top of them.

What does the team think ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Chair design

Postby HappyHacker » 23 May 2021, 17:52

Apart from being unable to tell the difference between them I prefer the wood in 2.

Due to the difference in height of the seat rails I think it would be difficult to make a wooden solution that would look as good as the cord. Put a cushion on the cord :)
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2021, 17:59

HappyHacker wrote:Apart from being unable to tell the difference between them I prefer the wood in 2.

Due to the difference in height of the seat rails I think it would be difficult to make a wooden solution that would look as good as the cord. Put a cushion on the cord :)

Many thanks, HH. There are very subtle differences between the two chairs and I've modified the OP to say 'ignore type of wood and finish' to clarify.

Cushion on top is exactly what LOML said !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 23 May 2021, 18:07

I feel like I must have a poor eye for these things because they look pretty much identical to me. It's like a rock hard game of spot the difference!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 23 May 2021, 18:56

The splayed front legs of the first is more pleasing to me, along with the carve of the back rail. I dont like straight legs.
If,as the first appears to be, they are both green wood, then id take the first over the second.
Id also seriously reconsider the wooden slats if they are from green. They are webbed whilst the rails are still very dry so as they reexpand they stretch the web tight, which adds strength to the chair, removing it could be a bit ropey. :lol:

Would a cushion over the web not suffice the good lady?
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby MattS » 23 May 2021, 18:57

They’re both copies of the wishbone dining chair by Hans Wegner. I’m no expert but have a keen interest in mid century Scandinavian furniture. Without looking up pictures of the original I think no.1 looks more refined and probably matches the original more closely. The second seems to lack some of the tapers on the components and finesse.

As others have said with differing heights of the rails it will be a challenge! If you are going to do it maybe buy one and play around with it. Each to their own but given the significant changes you plan to make to a design classic just buy the cheapest!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 23 May 2021, 19:05

MattS wrote:They’re both copies of the wishbone dining chair by Hans Wegner.

Thank you Matt. I recognised it but couldnt put a name to it and google was useless.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 23 May 2021, 22:00

I agree with Matt 100%. There is a finesse to the first chair (Heal's) to that of the second (Selfridges).
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 23 May 2021, 22:06

No 1 is more elegant and refined. For example where the arm supports meet the arms. I like the cord or reeded seats.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 May 2021, 06:51

novocaine wrote:
MattS wrote:They’re both copies of the wishbone dining chair by Hans Wegner.

Thank you Matt. I recognised it but couldnt put a name to it and google was useless.

Chair 1 for me; apart from the ‘wishbone’ the cord seat is one of the classic features of Wenger’s design and the chair wouldn’t look ‘right’ with anything else. A couple of years ago I made an interpretation of his wishbone desk in Brown Oak - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 May 2021, 07:13

Have you sat in them Rog? Those arms look too short to me .
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 24 May 2021, 07:31

Andyp wrote:Have you sat in them Rog? Those arms look too short to me .

No, I haven't. That would necessitate a trip down to t'smoke.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 May 2021, 07:59

I was trying to imagine how it would feel if the arms of the chair did not finish under my hands.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 24 May 2021, 08:09

Andyp wrote:I was trying to imagine how it would feel if the arms of the chair did not finish under my hands.

as a dining chair, you wouldn't notice, they are cut back to allow arm movement (in order to elbow your neighbor before they stab the last roasty from the bowl). as a chair for normally sitting in, it would annoy the buggery out of me.

from memory the are surprisingly wide across the back, which might be a issue depending on the size of table you have.
novocaine
Old Oak

Return to General Woodworking