It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:47

Few jobs off the list

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Few jobs off the list

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jun 2021, 11:06

I start my new job on Monday so been rushing to get a few jobs knocked on the head that have been on the list for far too long...

Firstly I had to replace the bridge over our pond that was dangerously rotten. Wanted to do something a bit more special but wife just wanted it done so I just flipped the old one out and templated from the existing timbers.

IMG_5015.JPG
(720.73 KiB)

IMG_5016.JPG
(557.2 KiB)

IMG_5017.JPG
(686.07 KiB)

IMG_5018.JPG
(577.38 KiB)

IMG_5019.JPG
(616.03 KiB)

IMG_5021.JPG
(725.57 KiB)

IMG_5025.JPG
(723.43 KiB)

IMG_5026.JPG
(627.91 KiB)

IMG_5028.jpg
(400.34 KiB)

IMG_5029.jpg
(486.36 KiB)

All made from 6*2 & 4*2 pressure treated and all cuts treated with preserver. It's not the prettiest but it's functional and back to full structural integrity.

The other jobs were some brickwork for plinths for my log store and for this small shed which will house gardening stuff and be hidden away behind the wall that hides the oil tank.

IMG_5056.JPG
(590.36 KiB)

IMG_5045.jpg
(311.93 KiB)

IMG_5054.JPG
(560.15 KiB)

IMG_5055.JPG
(658.43 KiB)

It's FAR from the best brickwork ever done but given I've only ever laid a total of about 60 bricks in my life, it's not terrible, and will do the job for this, I hope...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Few jobs off the list

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Jun 2021, 11:29

That bridge across the ‘big wet’ definitely needed replacing! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Jun 2021, 12:52

Well done.

Just a thought Mark, those oil pipes look very vulnerable. Maybe at least put a block there so they cannot be knocked. (we have a similar issue and after replacing the valve and filter I protected them).

Good luck with the new role.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jun 2021, 14:58

Thanks Adrian

Yep will be tidying those pipes up soon but I have three breezeblocks that live either side and on ive to protect them normally.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 09 Jun 2021, 16:03

Brickwork looks good me, ie someone who has only laid 30 bricks in his life.

What’s with the grill over the pond? Safety, to stop the kids falling in or Protection, to stop Mr Heron from a having a quick and easy snack.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 09 Jun 2021, 16:41

Andyp wrote:Brickwork looks good me, ie someone who has only laid 30 bricks in his life.

What’s with the grill over the pond? Safety, to stop the kids falling in or Protection, to stop Mr Heron from a having a quick and easy snack.

Stops the sharks with lasers geting out.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Jun 2021, 17:56

Andyp wrote:....to stop Mr Heron from a having a quick and easy snack.

A grill as in Mark’s case, or a decent net is the only way you’ll stop Mr.H from dining out on your fish. We’ve tried all sorts over the years and eventually sought the advice of our local aquatic centre. Net is what they said, anything else is just about useless. SWIMBO has never been super keen, but it’s better that all the lads ending up as Mr.H’s breakfast and he’ll keep coming back until the pond’s empty :cry: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Few jobs off the list

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jun 2021, 18:03

It serves both functions Andy but was installed (Diamond Deck is the product) when first child was born as a protection system. Works well too, I (and heavier friends than I) can walk along the length of it without issue.

Should be 5mm below waterline but there’s a small crack in the side that takes the water level down to halfway down the deck. That’s another one on the list to repair...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 09 Jun 2021, 22:46

Woodbloke wrote:

A grill as in Mark’s case, or a decent net is the only way you’ll stop Mr.H from dining out on your fish. We’ve tried all sorts over the years and eventually sought the advice of our local aquatic centre. Net is what they said, anything else is just about useless. SWIMBO has never been super keen, but it’s better that all the lads ending up as Mr.H’s breakfast and he’ll keep coming back until the pond’s empty :cry: - Rob

And what do you say when you see Mr H hoovering up your fish ?

Dammen.

Sorry..coat get.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Jun 2021, 11:07

RogerS wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

And what do you say when you see Mr H hoovering up your fish ?

Dammen.

Sorry..coat get.

I was up very early one morning and just tweaked the upstairs curtain to see Mr.H spear one of my fish for his brekki (we didn’t have a net at that time) The next day we had one in place and haven’t lost any more of the lads. Herons are apparently highly intelligent wee birdies (not all that ‘wee’ actually :lol: ) and a net is the only thing that will stop him. I have seen one perched on the ‘shop roof looking longingly at the pond, but once they realise it’s a ‘dry hole’ they fly off. If I were to remove the net, he’d be back within a few days for a snack, but I really don’t know how they know that the pond is ‘netless’ - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Jul 2021, 20:54

Nice bricklaying.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Lons » 09 Jul 2021, 09:50

There's nothing wrong with your brickwork Mark, it can be difficult to match in with old bricks but that looks good to me.
I you don't mind me offering advice for the next project which I expect will be a full size building now you've got the hang of it.

The mortar should be on the wet side rather than dry, the consistency of stiff whipped cream works well, if too dry the bricks suck the moisture out quickly and they become difficult to work. Mix by measured volume not shovels e.g. buckets even if using a mixer.

Lay a bed of mortar maybe enough for half a dozen bricks troweling down the middle, lay the first then butter the end of the next brick before you lay it just a couple of taps with the edge of your trowel to position it then move on to the next, remove excess mortar as you go with a cutting action not scraping and you'll keep the brick faces clean, that way the joints are filled and minimal work to finish them later with a pointing trowel or jointer. Level them properly with a straight edge and level along several rather than individual bricks.

If building more than a few courses high then build up your corners first using a level and home made gauge if necessary but usually by eye is fine then use a brick line along each course to build the infill wall, it's fast, very accurate and you won't need your level at all.

One last thing, once a brick is in position and correct leave it alone, don't touch it again even if not quite right as you'll lose the bond, at worst you'll have a brick that could come loose, at best there will be a crack and you'll get water through then frost, same result, better to take it off and do it again,

I'm not a brickie btw but was "trained" by my brother who served his time before teaching construction and eventually gaining a doctorate, he worked for me every holiday which lecturers get loads of and I've laid thousands of bricks and M2 of stone.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jul 2021, 09:52

Thanks mate. Yeah I learned that as I went along and later mixes were much wetter than that one. I found that first one worked but went off quickly (it was also baking how when I did it) but later ones were wetter. Worked for longer and easier to work.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Lons » 09 Jul 2021, 15:54

TrimTheKing wrote:Thanks mate. Yeah I learned that as I went along and later mixes were much wetter than that one. I found that first one worked but went off quickly (it was also baking how when I did it) but later ones were wetter. Worked for longer and easier to work.

:D :D Not trying to preach methods Mark you're almost at pro standard anyway. :eusa-clap: May be of interest to others though.
I typed it while sitting in the hospital for my wife's appointment with the Parkinsons consultant, an hour and a half late for a 15 minute chat and I had to run out in the middle to feed the meter, that's why it was long winded.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jul 2021, 16:07

Pro status!!! Hahaha! If you'd have seen the time and level of swearing it took to get even those few down you'd take that back! Turned out okay but yeah, LOT of practice required to even become competent. Luckily that's all I need right now.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to General Woodworking