It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:07

Fancy handplanes

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Fancy handplanes

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 19:56

:text-+1:

Absolutely this Chris! :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Mar 2021, 20:21

Trevanion wrote:I personally have no issues with people buying expensive tools if they want to, provided they know exactly what they're looking at and it's what they actually want. I don't think I'd ever buy a Holtey, S+S, Lazurus, Sparks, or another boutique plane maker's stuff but I can really appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail that goes into them, some people may use them but I imagine a high proportion are sold to collectors who keep them in display cases.

When I posted elsewhere we quite often had inexperienced people who seemed to think they needed to buy the absolute most expensive tool to do the job they wanted, and would get very aggressively defensive if someone suggested that a cheaper alternative may be a better choice, god help you if you suggested that they didn't actually need the tool to do the job :lol:

:text-+1: ...which is what I was attempting to say. If for example, an S&S is bought as a 'user', much more economic and equally viable planes are available, but I suspect as others have mentioned, a lot of well heeled folk buy them for alternative reasons and have no intention of taking any shavings at the bench - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 04 Mar 2021, 20:59

+2 Chris :eusa-clap:
I own a black SUV btw :lol: In my defence the one I wanted was a stunning metalic red but there wasn't one available in the spec and at the right price. :(
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 04 Mar 2021, 21:09

TrimTheKing wrote::text-+1:

Absolutely this Chris! :eusa-clap:

Yeah, what I was thinking and far better put.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 21:09

Screw the plane i want that car.

I have always had a soft spot for a ghia. Horrible to drive but oh hell yes.

That one looks a lot like an old friends dads one that he sold on. Her boyfriend drove it in to a wall because he was a dick. She had yhe front indicator on her desk in work as a pen pot. Dad rebuilt it.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Mar 2021, 11:22

novocaine wrote:Screw the plane i want that car.

I have always had a soft spot for a ghia. Horrible to drive but oh hell yes.

Hideous looking thing; Italian Lancia 'Fulvia' for me. Proper rust bucket :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 05 Mar 2021, 11:44

If that plane works ok and you like the look of it, fine. Personally I think it’s hideous! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Mar 2021, 13:55

Woodster wrote:If that plane works ok and you like the look of it, fine. Personally I think it’s hideous! :lol:

And I celebrate everyone's right to a differing opinion. That's what makes life so varied and exciting. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Chris101 » 05 Mar 2021, 14:19

Lons wrote:+2 Chris :eusa-clap:
I own a black SUV btw :lol: In my defence the one I wanted was a stunning metalic red but there wasn't one available in the spec and at the right price. :(

Same here Bob. Black kuga. Bore on! My mrs wanted the mustang lol. But what if we want to go sporting I said! Or utilitating! Ah. I see your point she said.
My main mode of tra port is a Renault trafic. *SIGHS
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 05 Mar 2021, 14:39

I’ll put my hand up and admit to having a Holtey small smoother. (At the time £2800).
I went after a kit but finished up with a fully made up one at a ridiculously reduced price.
I’m not a collector and the plane has suffered damage - knocked off the workbench, missed the rubber matting and hit concrete!!
A careful bit of linishing will probably repair it but my Proxxon belt sander blew up.
It works well but the iron is incredibly hard and needs careful sharpening on diamonds or “scary sharp”.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Mar 2021, 15:07

Rod wrote:I’ll put my hand up and admit to having a Holtey small smoother. (At the time £2800).
I went after a kit but finished up with a fully made up one at a ridiculously reduced price.
I’m not a collector and the plane has suffered damage - knocked off the workbench, missed the rubber matting and hit concrete!!
A careful bit of linishing will probably repair it but my Proxxon belt sander blew up.
It works well but the iron is incredibly hard and needs careful sharpening on diamonds or “scary sharp”.

Rod

Ouch that must have been a sweary moment when you dropped it Rod!! :eusa-doh:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 05 Mar 2021, 15:13

Yes and tears to my eyes!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Mar 2021, 16:26

Chris101 wrote:.....what if we want to go sporting I said! Or utilitating!.....

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :lol: There's only one Chris 101!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 10 Mar 2021, 06:05

I have a Veritas low angle jack that I bought the last time I was in Toronto. Cost twice as much as the most expensive plane I'd ever bought before (though that one was way back about 1990), but I decided to indulge myself. When you set it on a piece of wood and go, it just feels really solid. It's clearly a step up from my late '80's Record #7, which is the next best plane I have. I bet it's about 99% of what a plane can be. Maybe some of these high end planes are at the 99.9% level, but the times when you would see the difference are probably pretty rare.

Oh, and I use the jack to take down rough surfaces, and finish with my #4. The #4 does have a Hock iron in it though, and that upgrade was well worth it.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Custard » 16 Mar 2021, 16:02

The notion that crinkled shavings are a sign of a badly set plane needs some qualification.

Most times I'd agree, but on contrary grain which is tearing out then you may choose to set the cap iron extremely close. The shavings will begin to concertina, but the tear out will stop. I do this so often that I now keep one bench plane permanently set up in this configuration.
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 17 Mar 2021, 11:06

+1 I have planed silver birch bur with a Record 5 1/2 and a very close set cap iron, the shavings come straight up out of the plane.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Mar 2021, 13:44

Pete Maddex wrote:+1 I have planed silver birch bur with a Record 5 1/2 and a very close set cap iron, the shavings come straight up out of the plane.

Pete
You can do the same trick with Birds Eye Maple using a Veritas BU smoother, a high effective pitch and a very close mouth - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 18 Mar 2021, 09:40

Woodbloke wrote:
Pete Maddex wrote:+1 I have planed silver birch bur with a Record 5 1/2 and a very close set cap iron, the shavings come straight up out of the plane.

Pete
You can do the same trick with Birds Eye Maple using a Veritas BU smoother, a high effective pitch and a very close mouth - Rob

But with one adjustment to the cap iron I can hog off wood with the same plane.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery