It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:27

Braces

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Braces

Postby NickM » 08 May 2021, 10:03

My trousers aren't falling down and I no longer worry about the straightness of my teeth, but I've been thinking about braces for a while as I feel like I should have one in my hand tool armoury.

I don't think I can go too far wrong with a Stanley brace and they seem cheap enough from the usual second hand tool outlets, so that's easy enough.

The hard bit (pun intended) is how to find a decent selection of auger bits. I'm probably limited to buying online at the moment and, frankly, wouldn't know what to look for if I had the things in my hands anyway. Should I take a chance on an online purchase of some old bits with a view to sharpening them if needed, or should I look at something new (e.g like this https://www.workshopheaven.com/star-m-combination-auger-bits-7-piece-set.html - would these fit straight into a Stanley brace or would I need some kind of adapter? Being able to use these in my cordless drill would also be useful).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Braces

Postby Lurker » 08 May 2021, 11:34

If you are close enough to Loughborough to collect, I have one that you can have. Not keen in getting involved in posting it though.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby NickM » 08 May 2021, 11:59

Lurker wrote:If you are close enough to Loughborough to collect, I have one that you can have. Not keen in getting involved in posting it though.

Thanks, that’s very kind of you but unfortunately I’m down in Hampshire.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby spb » 08 May 2021, 13:33

NickM wrote:would these fit straight into a Stanley brace or would I need some kind of adapter? Being able to use these in my cordless drill would also be useful).

You'd need an adapter. Old hand braces use a square taper shank in a two- or four-jaw chuck designed to accept the tapered bit, while any modern bit is a straight hex shank. Neither type of bit will fit in a chuck designed for the other; even if you can get the jaws to grip there wouldn't be a bearing surface to keep them straight.

The type of adapter you'd be looking for is similar to this one from WH, which also has a pretty clear image of the tapered shank that the old auger bits use.

Another option, though a lot more spendy, would be something like WH's hand brace with a combination chuck that can take square taper, hex or round shank bits.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 14:05

I bought a 10" stanley brace about 18 months ago, for old times sake because I used to use them as an apprentice in the 60's.
Its still sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to think of an excuse not to use a power tool. :eusa-doh:
I suspect it will sit there till the workshop becomes part of my estate :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 08 May 2021, 14:09

If you want the reassurance of buying top quality new, have a look at these:

https://www.fine-tools.com/auger-bit-co ... shaft.html

They're not cheap but I've got a couple and I can attest to the quality. As far as I am aware, they are the only augers being made these days with the conical square head, so there's no need for an adaptor when using a traditional brace. A set of them would be very expensive and I tend to buy a size as and when I need them.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Alf » 08 May 2021, 14:27

Going on unreliable memory here, but pretty sure I've never had need for an adapter for hex shanks in a brace with yer standard two alligator jaw type chuck. Various other chucks would - my 16" old war horse would definitely demand one, relying on nothing but a square tapered hole and a thumbscrew. But if Nick is going for an under-every-rock 10" Stanley then it shouldn't be a problem.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 May 2021, 16:54

Well worth getting a few screwdriver bits for the brace. The power (torque?) obtainable is phenomenal and very useful for the odd extraction of rusted stubborn screws.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby NickM » 08 May 2021, 19:41

Thanks for all the responses. Food for thought.

I think I’ll get a Stanley and make a decision on bits once I’ve got my hands on it.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 08 May 2021, 19:50

Best way is in person, but it's worth searching eBay for new old stock in the collectable tools category.
For real world woodworking you probably only need a handful of sizes, not a big set, and prices are sometimes quite reasonable, considering the work needed and virtual disappearance of any more being made.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby NickM » 08 May 2021, 20:41

AndyT wrote:Best way is in person, but it's worth searching eBay for new old stock in the collectable tools category.
For real world woodworking you probably only need a handful of sizes, not a big set, and prices are sometimes quite reasonable, considering the work needed and virtual disappearance of any more being made.

Thanks Andy
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 May 2021, 21:29

When I saw the title, I was definitely in Trousers territory.
Braces = Trouser Heaven. Ain't never going back.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby NickM » 09 May 2021, 07:50

Steve Maskery wrote:When I saw the title, I was definitely in Trousers territory.
Braces = Trouser Heaven. Ain't never going back.
S

I did think of you when I wrote that Steve!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 09 May 2021, 07:59

When I saw "braces" in the title, I thought....oh good, someone else is getting into oak framing. ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 09 May 2021, 09:31

Mike G wrote:When I saw "braces" in the title, I thought....oh good, someone else is getting into oak framing. ;)

Never say never
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery