It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:06

Workholding methods on Benchtalk101 tonight

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Workholding methods on Benchtalk101 tonight

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2021, 19:26

9fingers wrote:Thanks Doug, I'll give a look tonight - bu88er all on the tv tonight!

Bob

What! ITV 8pm. How can you not watch? It’s the auld enemy. ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug » 18 Jun 2021, 19:30

10A2C120-A519-4B3D-9604-0AC828FD7A1C.jpeg
(195.09 KiB)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2021, 19:32

Doug has the right measure of things.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2021, 19:48

I know, I know, I was expecting nothing less.

i am sure Mark will be watching though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby toolsntat » 19 Jun 2021, 10:34

Anyone got a favourite ?
Chesters wedge gubbins looked very quick and efficient but I'm sure I'd want it to be hinged and left flush to the bench whilst not needed.
Quite surprised the regular glove makers didn't want to know more about mine :D :lol:
Cheers Andy
toolsntat
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 19 Jun 2021, 10:43

Every body ignored my "other hand" workholder, :shock: but I'll try again :lol:

Hot melt glue.
I have a router sled and hot melt glue all shapes and sizes of wood to the slate and then use the router over it.
Minimal fuss and effort.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Jun 2021, 10:58

toolsntat wrote:Anyone got a favourite ?
Chesters wedge gubbins looked very quick and efficient but I'm sure I'd want it to be hinged and left flush to the bench whilst not needed.
Quite surprised the regular glove makers didn't want to know more about mine :D :lol:
Cheers Andy

There were a couple of innovative things there - the chair weaving clamp and perhaps the wedge device but my ww methods are so very different to most here that I was left with feelings of how awkward these folk make their hobby but everyone to their own.
When I was making my wish list for my workshop in 2005 ready for my retirement in 2009 I put down vices 53s I think. A couple came up fairly cheap but I've still not fitted them. in 12 years of woodworking mainly furniture, I've just not needed a vice. It's almost the same in my metal workshop. The engineers vice gets used for the odd bit of hacksawing but thats about all.
I'll possibly look in from time to time.

Re your glovemakers vice, I was a bit surprised at a long straight jaw. I though maybe a curved jaw a bit like a french curve would be needed for curved work?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby droogs » 19 Jun 2021, 11:20

Will watch and comment once the morphine wears off later today lol
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AndyT » 19 Jun 2021, 11:23

Bob, the aim was never to produce an ordered list of the most useful workholding solutions. A succession of people all saying "get a big quick release vice" would not have been very interesting - though several of us did make a comment that mostly we used a vice.
Rather, the theme was to present one workholding device or method, with no attempt to list them in advance, avoid duplication or cover all the possibilities.

With participants from several different traditions, and different levels of experience, variety is the most frequent theme.

And Andy, I'd love to have discussed your glove vice at length, but by then it felt important to let everyone else have their say.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 19 Jun 2021, 12:09

AndyT wrote:Bob, the aim was never to produce an ordered list of the most useful workholding solutions. A succession of people all saying "get a big quick release vice" would not have been very interesting - though several of us did make a comment that mostly we used a vice.
Rather, the theme was to present one workholding device or method, with no attempt to list them in advance, avoid duplication or cover all the possibilities.

With participants from several different traditions, and different levels of experience, variety is the most frequent theme.

And Andy, I'd love to have discussed your glove vice at length, but by then it felt important to let everyone else have their say.

AndyT I was not looking for an ordered list. Largely we are a disparate group most fairly set in our ways of woodworking. I come at it as an engineer working with a material that unlike other materials I use has defects that have to be worked round so my methods are different from most. You won’t find me using hand tools unless backed up against the wall :lol: this single difference in method means I rarely need much in the way of work holding. I think someone mentioned hands? The guy with a full white beard. I’m with him. My hands hold the work and machines do the cutting.
I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong just different horses for courses that’s all

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 19 Jun 2021, 14:22

I found it interesting that the leg vice wasn’t mentioned which I personally see as more of an expensive fashion statement these days & that Richard shared my view that the record 52&1/2 quick release is the best vice out there for a professional shop.
That said it’s always interesting to see & hear how others go about their woodworking & why I enjoy benchtalk 101
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery