It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:13

One for Bob (sedgwick morticer)

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

One for Bob (sedgwick morticer)

Postby Chamferman » 11 Apr 2018, 22:39

My sedgwick morticer had problems trying to spin up today that and battling a cheap morticer and bit, its been bit of a challenging day, funny because as I am typing this my battery in my hearing aid has just died.

Anyway hoping that Bob especially will come to my rescue and help me one again and tell where I can get the right replacement for this capacitor?

IMG-20180411-WA0005.jpg
(73.55 KiB)

IMG-20180411-WA0004.jpg
(145.21 KiB)

Simon
Chamferman
Seedling

Name:

Re: One for Bob (sedgwick morticer)

Postby 9fingers » 12 Apr 2018, 09:31

Hi Simon,

36mfd (36uf) is a slightly unusual value but thankfully it is not too critical in this application.

35 or 40 will be fine.
Do an ebay search for "motor run capacitor 35uf" and you should find several vendors offering ones with push on tags or short pieces of cable. Some have mounting studs which you might need.
Choose the type nearest to the one you are replacing.
There is not much to link quality to price and so you might just as well choose amongst the cheapest of the right sort. Check that the voltage is at least 400v preferably 450v working.

Good Luck

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 12 Apr 2018, 09:53

If you have a Maplins near you I have bought motor capacitors there in the past. Assuming your branch hasn't closed down just yet that is..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Chamferman » 12 Apr 2018, 20:03

9fingers wrote:Hi Simon,

36mfd (36uf) is a slightly unusual value but thankfully it is not too critical in this application.

35 or 40 will be fine.
Do an ebay search for "motor run capacitor 35uf" and you should find several vendors offering ones with push on tags or short pieces of cable. Some have mounting studs which you might need.
Choose the type nearest to the one you are replacing.
There is not much to link quality to price and so you might just as well choose amongst the cheapest of the right sort. Check that the voltage is at least 400v preferably 450v working.

Good Luck

Bob

Thank you Bob. I had a look about and couldn't find a 36uf so its good news that a 35 or 40 will be ok to use.

Simon
Chamferman
Seedling

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking