It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:50

Interference

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Interference

Postby Lurker » 27 Jan 2021, 11:29

I want to run a three core power cable in a tight duct with a tv coaxial cable.
Opinions??
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Interference

Postby Trevanion » 27 Jan 2021, 11:44

SY control cable to help with the interference?
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Jan 2021, 11:50

Lurker wrote:I want to run a three core power cable in a tight duct with a tv coaxial cable.
Opinions??

If you are not worried by breaking the rules then I think there is little chance of interference from the mains cable to the coax (presumably bearing digital modulation) I would suggest a continuous foil screened coax cable such as CT100.

If you are going to be running high power inverters (to run 3phase motors from single phase power) from the mains cable then I would fit a filter at the inverter end as a precaution.

Bob

@Trevanion. I did wonder about that but depends on the power rating of the cable, SWA is also a possiblity but horrible to install in a closed tight duct.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Lurker » 27 Jan 2021, 11:57

Thanks
The co axial is continuous foil.
The power cable will be just a spur direct from the consumer unit to a wall socket for the tv.

The duct is a slight exaggeration . I plan to run these cables down the corner of a room inside that plastic duct stuff, but wanted to use the smallest I could get away with.

The tv is wall mounted so the run will be about a meter.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby spb » 27 Jan 2021, 12:29

Wiring regulations require at least 50mm separation between low voltage (i.e. 230v mains) and extra low voltage (i.e. less than that). This isn't because of interference, but rather that people don't generally turn off the power to the house or use insulated tools when working on telecoms cables.

If this is a minor alteration to existing circuits and doesn't need a building regs certificate, then you get to do your own risk assessment. Of course, per Part P, even that should be tested and certified as complying with BS7671, but only has to be done by a skilled person rather than a paid-up professional.

Practically speaking, there shouldn't be any interference issues; the point of coax cable is that the outer conductor shields the inner one. The regulations issue is up to you.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking