It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:57

Is this knife fixable?

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Is this knife fixable?

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 17:31

Mrs AJBT has broken this knife, using it with considerable force to cut a large block of cheese. Don't ask me why as I have no idea. It is silver handled and part of a Villeroy & Bosch set she won as a teenager so she wants me to mend it.

Is it fixable? The tang looks to me as if it might be broken, but I'm not sure and can see how she could have done that. The handle is packed with some sort of whitish material that looks a bit like wax paste but presumably isn't. Having probed it, the material is quite hard beyond the broken up bit around the tang and will her to be drilled order out.

Any thoughts? Dig out the white stuff and fill with epoxy? Weld a new bit onto the tang maybe? If it is broken, the rest of it is still in there.

IMG_1658 broken knife.jpg
(243.53 KiB)

IMG_1662.jpeg
(131.28 KiB)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Is this knife fixable?

Postby novocaine » 07 May 2021, 18:12

The stuff inside is most likely a urethane or polyeater resin. Fill the hole with epoxy and refit the tang.

Then ban your wife from using it.

*yes eater was intentional lm funny me. :P
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 07 May 2021, 18:14

Most things can be fixed and this looks 'doable' especially as it's part of a set that 'er indoors acquired some years ago. I would be inclined to try and silver solder on a small extension to the broken part of the tang (maybe try a halving joint of sorts) and excavate all the white 'goo' and finally epoxy in the newly repaired blade.
Whether that's the right way to do it, I'm really not sure, but it's worth having a go, if only to pick up a few extra brownie points - Rob

Edit - on encase the broken stub into a snug fitting steel tube, then epoxy
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 18:24

IMG_1664 2.jpeg
(429.69 KiB)

"Honest, yer honour, that's not what you think it is ...I dug it out of a knife handle with a nail file"

It digs out as white powder. Unfortunately the tang did break off and whatever is left is embedded within the handle. The remaining tang is only 20mm. Having exposed the broken end I doubt I will be able to drill or dig the old piece out and the resin is much harder than expected.

Thanks for the advice. I will dig as deep as I can.

In all probability it is not her fault. The tang is not bent so I suspect years of dishwashing has caused internal degradation and her abuse was just the last straw.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 07 May 2021, 18:30

Was the cheese good though? That's what we really need to know...
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 18:43

It was grate. That is what I do with it to deal with my cheese and cucumber sandwich addiction. It is dead cheap Waitrose No 4 cheddar that comes in big blocks. Microplane ribbon grater turns it into a delicacy between two slice of sourdough (home baked) and liberally applied Normandy butter. Also, Waitrose salad cream in better than Heinz, because it is thicker and only a quid a bottle. Cucumber is cut very thin with a ceramic mandolin if you must know.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2021, 18:45

AJB Temple wrote:It was grate. That is what I do with it to deal with my cheese and cucumber sandwich addiction. It is dead cheap Waitrose No 4 cheddar that comes in big blocks. Microplane ribbon grater turns it into a delicacy between two slice of sourdough (home baked) and liberally applied Normandy butter. Also, Waitrose salad cream in better than Heinz, because it is thicker and only a quid a bottle. Cucumber is cut very thin with a ceramic mandolin if you must know.

Cholesterol not a problem then :D Lucky sod !

Do you have a Dremel tool or similar? I'd simply ream out enough to get a clean surface then use epoxy with the powder you can add to thicken it up. Certainly wouldn't be trying to fetch it all out.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 07 May 2021, 19:01

AJB Temple wrote:It was grate. That is what I do with it to deal with my cheese and cucumber sandwich addiction. It is dead cheap Waitrose No 4 cheddar that comes in big blocks. Microplane ribbon grater turns it into a delicacy between two slice of sourdough (home baked) and liberally applied Normandy butter. Also, Waitrose salad cream in better than Heinz, because it is thicker and only a quid a bottle. Cucumber is cut very thin with a ceramic mandolin if you must know.

Sounds delicious. Proper butter is a treat. I grew up in Guernsey where the butter was very good, but Sark butter was another level up.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 19:16

I get cholesterol tested, but never had any issue.

I do buy Guernsey butter, but mostly I buy Normandy as I like the dark yellow colour and it's easier to get locally. Never seen Sark butter but now I will hunt it down.

Thanks re epoxy. I do have a dremel but I am 30mm in approx where the handle narrows, so not sure if I can get much further. Banned from workshop until tomorrow due to dodgy foot issue, but will have a go then. Worried that a large blob of epoxy within the handle will not set hard properly.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 19:18

Sark dairy closed in 2017 and Islanders had to get the elixir of life from Jersey. New dairy just started up apparently. No butter on-line though.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 May 2021, 19:31

Home made butter made from cream collected from the dairy that morning. Nothing in the butter world (and i mean nothing) will beat it. Dont do it very often though, else id be the size of a house.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 07 May 2021, 19:34

AJB Temple wrote: Worried that a large blob of epoxy within the handle will not set hard properly.

Mixed properly and well stirred, it'll go off like concrete. Even better than this modern new fangled quick setting epoxy is the proper 'old skool' slow setting stuff, which gives you ample time to do the glue up.

Another alternative is epoxy putty as there's rather a big 'ole to fill. Not used it but I've heard it's 'good stuff' - Rob

Edit - no butter here and only red topped skimmed milk (organic natch :lol: )
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 19:42

I am jealous Dave. I know you can do it, but have never tried. Plus I do not have a source of really fresh cream (will have to look). James Martin showed on his Saturday show how to make butter a few weeks ago. But I've forgotten already.

Thanks Woodbloke. Will deal with it. Red milk is just white water by the way. Best thing to do with it is pour it down the sink.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Guineafowl21 » 07 May 2021, 20:20

AJB Temple wrote:I am jealous Dave. I know you can do it, but have never tried. Plus I do not have a source of really fresh cream (will have to look). James Martin showed on his Saturday show how to make butter a few weeks ago. But I've forgotten already.

Thanks Woodbloke. Will deal with it. Red milk is just white water by the way. Best thing to do with it is pour it down the sink.

Half fill a milk bottle and shake side-to-side rhythmically for AGES. I’ve even mixed up some whole milk, double and single cream that were all on the turn and it worked. Squish the resulting pat with tissue paper and work in some salt.

I was given a bottle of red milk once - I distributed it between the dog and cat, and felt the need to apologise to them.
Guineafowl21
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 May 2021, 20:26

Big branston pickly jar is perfect.
600g of cream then get your shakes on. Give it a squish to get the buttermilk out and knead in some salt. Job done.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 07 May 2021, 21:57

AJB Temple wrote:Sark dairy closed in 2017 and Islanders had to get the elixir of life from Jersey. New dairy just started up apparently. No butter on-line though.

Yes, I was reading an article on the Guernsey Press website today about the new Sark dairy which is being built. My great gran lived in Sark. She decided Guernsey was all a bit to much for her!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 May 2021, 22:21

AJB Temple wrote: Red milk is just white water by the way. Best thing to do with it is pour it down the sink.

When you have (or develop) high cholesterol and can't tolerate statins (as I can't>insomnia) then high fat dairy/sat fat is off the menu as diet is the only way I can control it. No cheese, no butter, no milk (apart from red topped skimmed) but plenty of bran (apparently) lots of nuts, seeds and oats. Lots of oats! Red topped milk has all the nutritional value of semi or full, just virtually none of the very nasty and very unhealthy fat - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 22:46

Thing is Rob, I don't drink dairy milk at all. If you had met K my partner, you would have heard the cow mistreatment story many, many times. Hormones and stuff. So I drink oat milk (Barista version). I pretend I don't eat butter. Actually I mainly use OO. I've tried vegan cheese but, you know, it's not cheese. Not even a bit cheesy.

But I do understand and sympathise.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 05:31

Regarding RED TOP milk,
There is often confusion here.

Once upon a time, RED TOP milk was NOT skimmed, it was whole milk that had been homogenised. Thats to say it was full fat milk that had been forced though a micro mesh screen to evenly distribute the fat. This meant that looking at the bottle there was no discernable cream line.
It was originally meant for very young babies to give them the benefits of vitamins but not the fat glubules that they could not process.
It is a very nice milk to drink. trust me, I know of which I speak.
Homogenised milk is still sold, and only the seller decides what colour they use.

If you want or need skimmed (which is just chalky water), check the writing on the bottle, not the colour of the top. :shock:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2021, 07:16

sunnybob wrote:Regarding RED TOP milk,
There is often confusion here.

Once upon a time, RED TOP milk was NOT skimmed, it was whole milk that had been homogenised. Thats to say it was full fat milk that had been forced though a micro mesh screen to evenly distribute the fat. This meant that looking at the bottle there was no discernable cream line.
It was originally meant for very young babies to give them the benefits of vitamins but not the fat glubules that they could not process.
It is a very nice milk to drink. trust me, I know of which I speak.
Homogenised milk is still sold, and only the seller decides what colour they use.

If you want or need skimmed (which is just chalky water), check the writing on the bottle, not the colour of the top. :shock:

I've no doubt what you say is true SB, but I've just checked my organic red top skimmed milk from Waitrose and per 100ml, the total fat is <0.5grm and sat fat is 0.1g. I agree that drinking it as a nice cold glass, straight from the fridge is an unenviable experience and one that needs some getting used to as it's thin and watery. That said, it took me about three days to get used to it on my bucket of cereal (muesli, bran and extra oats) each morning. I expect if I tried semi-skimmed (green top) now it would taste too rich.
Red top though, is great in tea (I drink a pint of builder's, Standard Nato Strength each morning) and it makes a rather good cappuccino from the Gaggia; SWIMBO has no complaints provided she gets a goodly sprinkling of home ground Green & Backs 85% plain choc on the top :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 08 May 2021, 07:23

Woodbloke wrote:......
Red top though, is great in tea (I drink a pint of builder's, Standard Nato Strength each morning) and it makes a rather good cappuccino from the Gaggia; SWIMBO has no complaints provided she gets a goodly sprinkling of home ground Green & Backs 85% plain choc on the top :lol: - Rob

LOL...how the mind plays tricks. Skimming quickly down this post (and probably because I can't stand tea) my brain took in...

Pint of builder's ....makes .me...gag :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 May 2021, 08:18

One of the best things about this forum, apart from civility, is its randomness. I post about a broken knife repair and in short order we are discussing milk. :lol:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 08:41

I dont often get a chance to display my knowledge on this forum so I takes it where I finds it :eusa-dance:

10 years delivering 6000 pints a week definitely qualifies me. 8-)

(Have you ever seen green and silver striped top?)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 May 2021, 09:03

AJB Temple wrote:One of the best things about this forum, apart from civility, is its randomness. I post about a broken knife repair and in short order we are discussing milk. :lol:

Just make sure you don't fill the knife with butter and spread epoxy on your toast :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Lons » 08 May 2021, 09:41

Andyp wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:One of the best things about this forum, apart from civility, is its randomness. I post about a broken knife repair and in short order we are discussing milk. :lol:

Just make sure you don't fill the knife with butter and spread epoxy on your toast :)

:) :) That would fix any broken teeth though and no need for dental fillings for a few years.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Next

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking