It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:46

Maintaining cordless batteries

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Maintaining cordless batteries

Postby Alder » 29 May 2021, 21:10

Good evening,
Is there a particular protocol for prolonging the life of the batteries for cordless tools? Are we meant to fully discharge them before charging or is it best to keep them topped up at every possible opportunity?
Thank you,
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Re: Maintaining cordless batteries

Postby 9fingers » 29 May 2021, 21:34

Alder wrote:Good evening,
Is there a particular protocol for prolonging the life of the batteries for cordless tools? Are we meant to fully discharge them before charging or is it best to keep them topped up at every possible opportunity?
Thank you,
Russell

Lithium Cells give good performance but are fussy about charging and discharging to the extent that either the cells, overall battery pack or the tools manage the discharge limits and the chargers strictly manage the charging process. Chargers measure the temperature to charge as fast as possible without causing excess temperature rise. Bottom line is that you cant overcharge them and cant over discharge them in use.

During a job I will use them until the tool cuts out then recharge. At the end of a job I try not to put them away flat so they will ready for some use next time.

I note that my phone has a battery life extender charging scheme that claims to learn when I put it on and off charge and to have it ready at 100% when taken off charge.
I conclude from this that it adjust the charge current to be as low as is needed which seems sensible as continuing to charge a battery after it is 100% only creates heat and generally heat = potential problems/ shorter life.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Alder » 29 May 2021, 21:40

Thank for that information, it is as I thought but nevertheless I had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that this was not the case with 1st generation batteries.
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Postby 9fingers » 29 May 2021, 21:44

Alder wrote:Thank for that information, it is as I thought but nevertheless I had a niggling thought in the back of my mind that this was not the case with 1st generation batteries.
Russell

All depends on the chemistry. It is so easy to kill an unmanaged lithium cell so I doubt that early ones were vulnerable.
NiCd and NiMH behave differently but they are no longer used in modern tools.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Machines & Power Toolery