It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

The perfect table saw for Andy T

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

The perfect table saw for Andy T

Postby NickM » 03 Jun 2021, 09:58

NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: The perfect table saw for Andy T

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jun 2021, 10:16

But will it take a dado blade?
:lol:
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby sunnybob » 03 Jun 2021, 10:32

I can understand why its rare. Any one with sense would get something better at the first opportunity. :eusa-naughty:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 03 Jun 2021, 11:01

That's gorgeous. I wonder how hard you have to work to rip with that big blade.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 03 Jun 2021, 11:19

As someone who has always struggled to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time I think I would really struggle to feed timber into that whilst rotating the blade at the same time. Perhaps I will stick to my hand saws.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Alf » 03 Jun 2021, 11:41

Just4fun wrote:As someone who has always struggled to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time I think I would really struggle to feed timber into that whilst rotating the blade at the same time. Perhaps I will stick to my hand saws.

That's not the tricky bit - it's powering the dust extraction with your other foot that needs skill.

I have a vague recollection of someone advocating the fitting out of a hand cranked grinder to make a small person-powered table saw - might have been in an early Woodworker. Well, I say person-powered, but it's arguable idiot-powered might be more accurate.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 03 Jun 2021, 12:13

Sweet! And did you know that I have a birthday this year? I'd be embarrassed if you organised a whip-round - too embarrassed to refuse! :D

Funnily enough, I was looking at what might be the perfect companion planing machine yesterday and was going to post this in Dan's old books thread - it would be nice if you could find one of these as well... It's a powered four-sided planing machine, where you can turn the handle or hook it up to a small steam engine.
It's a bit limited, because the blades are rather narrow, and the editor of this 1881 issue of "Amateur Work, Illustrated" was doubtful whether any sensible person would pay the asking price of £45...

https://archive.org/details/amateurwork ... 8/mode/2up
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Trevanion » 03 Jun 2021, 23:03

AndyT wrote:Funnily enough, I was looking at what might be the perfect companion planing machine yesterday and was going to post this in Dan's old books thread - it would be nice if you could find one of these as well... It's a powered four-sided planing machine, where you can turn the handle or hook it up to a small steam engine.
It's a bit limited, because the blades are rather narrow, and the editor of this 1881 issue of "Amateur Work, Illustrated" was doubtful whether any sensible person would pay the asking price of £45...

What a lovely little thing, I wonder if there are any survivors.

A bit of a divergence, but hopefully interesting to some. My friend David Lundqvist (who runs an amazing historical woodworking machinery museum in Sweden) and I have a shared interest in the "Armstrong Patent Dovetailing Machine" of which there seem to be no known survivors. David was recently given all of Jonsered's ledgers and paperwork which he has been meticulously looking through for good information, and today he sent me a message that he found an invoice for four of the Armstrong Dovetailers, to be sent to "The Nicola Pavda Mining District & Co" in Petrograd (now known as St Petersburg), Russia in 1916, so they definitely did exist and weren't just a pretty illustration.

From my copy of "Woodworking Machinery, It's Rise, Progress and Construction" by Manfred Powis Bale, 1914:

From VintageMachinery.org:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery