It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:33

Start Up Kit

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Start Up Kit

Postby Andyp » 07 Apr 2018, 13:13

Rather than take the risk of replacing that plug I think you should send the whole thing over to me where those plugs and the sockets they fit into can be found all over my workshop.

I will give the lathe a thorough testing and promise to send it back only after I am satisfied that it is safe for you to use. ;) ;) :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 07 Apr 2018, 14:45

mabazza ritchie wrote:Evening folks,

Rather excitedly I took delivery of my new lathe today. It took a lot of effort to get the pallet truck across my gravel driveway, although leap-frogging some chipboard made it marginally easier. I will update once I have it all together and set up. It is covered in oil which I intend to clean off. Would I be best to use white spirit to do so?

Thanks
MR

Contratulations Austin and may there be many happy turns 8-)

We wnat to see pics of the whole machine. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Phil » 07 Apr 2018, 14:46

Woodster wrote:Strange, was this bought from a UK supplier? If so shouldn’t it have been fitted with a UK 13 amp plug?

It was probably shipped direct aus Deutshland.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 07 Apr 2018, 15:15

It says here, page 11, that a 16amp supply is required:

https://ecom.bradleyrm.com/wp-content/u ... Manual.pdf

I find this a bit odd as Axminster sell a similar 1.5kW Lathe and that has a standard 13amp plug on it?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 07 Apr 2018, 23:47

Evening,

So after much confusion on my part about the electrical side of things, all is well and the lathe is running. It was remarkably easy to put together from the box. Although, definately two people required; three would be a bonus, purely down to the weight. I gave it a clean down with methylated spirit then a coat of AX machine wax.

I now just need to practice sharpening freehand on a 6inch bench grider and I'll be ready to go! I still need to source the right grinding wheels for my budget supermarket grinder.

Incidentally, I had a look at the tool 'starter kits' but was advised to make up my own as there maybe tools in the kits that I never use. So I did that instead ending up with a RP 13mm fingernail bowl gouge; Crown 19mm oval skew, 32mm roughing gouge, dovetail tool; RS 13mm roundnose scraper, 2mm fluted parting tool. I am not brand concious so just went with what was available at the right price.

The lathe was bought from a UK supplier but shipped direct from Germany; arriving within about 5 days.

I will get a review up once I am up and running but, as requested here are a few photos.

Thanks.
Attachments
20180407_141505.jpg
(382.62 KiB)
20180407_175256.jpg
(246.29 KiB)
20180407_175239.jpg
(327.3 KiB)
20180406_154301.jpg
(559.96 KiB)
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Apr 2018, 08:11

Very VERY nice :eusa-clap: 8-)

Drool, drool, drooling ....................

:text-goodpost:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 08 Apr 2018, 09:25

Nice one. You must feel chuffed and itching to get going.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Dalboy » 08 Apr 2018, 09:34

Now that looks one very nice lathe have fun and enjoy every minute with it
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2018, 09:50

Looks good!
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2018, 10:47

mabazza ritchie wrote:
I now just need to practice sharpening freehand on a 6inch bench grider and I'll be ready to go! I still need to source the right grinding wheels for my budget supermarket grinder.

Thanks.

Nice bit of kit, but the best of luck sharpening lathe tools freehand on a 6" budget supermarket grinder :cry: Some pro turners sharpen freehand, but the vast majority of wood spinners (pro and hobbyist) use some form of jig system, either on a wet grinder (Tormek or a clone thereof) dry grinding wheel as you currently use or a belt (Sorby ProEdge)
I've used the ProEdge and whilst the machine itself is built in the same factory where they make Challenger tanks, the jigs (bar one) have more in common with an old USSR tractor plant somewhere behind the Urals...dreadful.
I use a Tormek now with all the associated jigs which is great. I'd recommend getting hold of a decent sharpening system to accompany that lathe - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Apr 2018, 11:19

Thanks folks. Looking forward to getting started with it. Only snag is the sharpening issue! I discovered today that my grinder has 36grit wheels on it, so yeah, not ideal! I will have a look at the various sharpening systems going; aside from the obvious is there any difference in finish etc between a wet or dry system? Will have to keep a look out for second hand ones!

Thanks.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Apr 2018, 11:24

mabazza ritchie wrote:...aside from the obvious is there any difference in finish etc between a wet or dry system?

Thanks.

As far as I'm aware, no differences in finish on the surface of the steel. As to which one suits, 'yer pays yer money' etc :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Apr 2018, 13:12

Any thoughts on the record power wg200 sharpening system?
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2018, 13:21

If you’re on a tight budget this system is pretty good:

https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/robert ... gJ4RPD_BwE

If you have deeper pockets the Sorby Pro Edge is hard to beat. You can change grits (belts) very quickly so you can be sharpening or reprofiling in minutes. Attempting to reprofile a gouge on a wet grinding system can be quite tedious as it’s very slow.

How did you get round the electrical issue? I noticed on another forum someone else just cut the schuko plug off and put a 13 amp plug on.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 08 Apr 2018, 13:28

Very budget sharpening system using your existing grinder but with a different wheel is to make your own jigs. Take a look HERE
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 08 Apr 2018, 13:37

I have a “fast “ grinding station using a cheapo Clarke grinder with replacement wheels (one being a Norton 3M) with a veritas tool rest on one and a home made one on the other.
I do quick touch ups on tools like roughing gouges on that.
For more precision sharpening I use my Tormek with various jigs and mark on the chisel the setting up details so that repeat grindings are achieved.
I sharpen my P/T blades on the Tormek too.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 08 Apr 2018, 14:11

Nice looking lathe, I have a Jet of similar size, I like the control pod on your that you can move, the switch on mine is in a fixed position on the side of the headstock. I would think yours will probably run on a 13 amp plug, the startup with an inverter drive is soft so no problems with the inrush current,.

I have a Jet whetstone grinder that all of the Tormek jigs will fit on. I also have an 8" Record Power grinder that I made a mount for to allow the jigs to be used on that as well, I see that they now sell a set of bits for this setup. I suggest you get a small diamond card, I use one to refresh the edge on tools, this avoids the need to go back to the grinder as often, I find 2 or 3 strokes of the card is all that is needed and you can do that a dozen or more times before going to the grinder.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Apr 2018, 14:33

Thanks for the replies re sharpening. I think i may just have to get some sort of system as i cant seem to get grinding wheels to fit my grinder.

I got over the electrical issue by wiring it direct from the machine switch to the 16amp fused switch. If that makes sense; essentially it now has a long cable which ends at my 16amp fused switch.

I found a few bowls that i rough turned a few years ago so quite keen to give them a bash.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2018, 16:59

Lots of turners on here, the general consensus is Sorby Pro Edge:

http://www.penturners.co.uk/tools-equip ... ormek.html

The same question has been asked on the UKWorkshop site and I believe the result was the same. Sorby make wood turning tools as well as sharpening systems so I guess they know something about it!

I actually don’t use a Pro Edge but do sharpen all my tools on a belt sander and much prefer the flat grind you get compared to the hollow grind you get with any type of wheel.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 08 Apr 2018, 20:56

There seems to be a lot of options for sharpening then! For me, having no experience sharpening, i think the Pro Edge is the way forward. Although its a bit cost prohibitive; will have a look for a second hand one. Incidentally I picked up a Trend Air shield that was advertised secondhand nearby; the guy also threw in a large scraper and a chisel with replaceable square/circular tips - no idea of what they are called. Was bit of a bargain so couldn't turn it down.
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Apr 2018, 21:22

There are a few YouTube videos on the Pro Edge if you want to have a look, like this one:

https://youtu.be/KetD9UuzMmI

Pro Edge’s do come up second hand once in a while but you have to be quick as they are much sought after. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 09 Apr 2018, 13:07

I've now watched a couple of videos on sharpening and the Pro Edge looks like the one I would go for - should sufficient funds make themselves known!

I started this morning making a bowl from horse chestnut , whilst trying to remember all i was shown before! Some minor catches but nothing overly scary!

Once sanded and then coat of sanding sealer put on, what grit would you cut back with ideally?

Thanks
MR
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Apr 2018, 16:01

I’d like to hear from others before you take my advise but after sanding sealer I give most things a quick swipe with 400 grit j-flex. Then buff

If you haven’t already take a look as this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1722&p=21312&hilit=Buffing#p21312

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 09 Apr 2018, 19:10

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby mabazza ritchie » 11 Apr 2018, 09:39

So, I made a start to my turning 'career' with a bit of horse chestnut and had great fun making lots of woodshavings! The sanding is a tricky one; but happy to keep at it.

Does anyone favour any particular brand or abrasive product? I have tried abranet before and also small sanding discs whch seem to clog really easily, especially if cutting back after sanding sealer.

Here is a photo of the first effort.

20180411_093438.jpg
(292.36 KiB)
mabazza ritchie
New Shoots

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)