It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:16

Replacement composite decking

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Replacement composite decking

Postby RogerM » 26 Oct 2019, 15:33

You know when you’ve lived in the same house for a long time when stuff you originally did has to be replaced. We installed a deck out the front of our home in 2008, and it was even the subject of a write-up on the UKworkshop forum. I was happy with the result at the time …

DSC01916.jpg
original 1
(339.51 KiB)

DSC01917.jpg
original 2
(384.11 KiB)

… but by the beginning of this year it was beginning to look very sad. In particular, there was a lot of rot beneath where plant troughs had been placed.

IMG_20190731_182115.jpg
rotted deck
(480.48 KiB)

It’s disappointing that it hasn’t lasted longer, so have decided to replace it with composite boards as I don’t fancy having to do it yet again as I approach 80. We looked at various brands, but in the end we opted for Millboard Coppered Oak which is a premium product, but with the boards being guaranteed for 25 years, and which should keep its looks. I suppose that means that this isn’t “woodwork”, but it is what it is!

I built the underframe in recycled plastic beams. The original wall plate is in good condition, having been under the shelter of the front canopy. I decided that this could stay, although I soaked it with 3 coats of Barrentine preservative.

IMG_20191005_115051.jpg
frame 1
(453.05 KiB)

IMG_20191005_115123.jpg
frame 2
(490.1 KiB)

I elected to just do straight board runs rather than diagonal as in the previous version, primarily to avoid wastage of what are expensive materials - around £64 per 3.2m length.

IMG_20191016_140101.jpg
new deck 1
(433.01 KiB)

IMG_20191016_140113.jpg
new deck 2
(446.96 KiB)

I’m happy with the overall result, and hopefully it will last for many years, be maintenance free, and I won’t have to replace it in the foreseeable future.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Replacement composite decking

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Oct 2019, 15:48

Nice

:text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 26 Oct 2019, 21:22

Looks very neat Roger and from here I cannot tell the difference.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 26 Oct 2019, 21:37

Andyp wrote:Looks very neat Roger and from here I cannot tell the difference.
+1
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Coley » 27 Oct 2019, 07:30

I was about to start my own decking project but stumbled upon this thread. I didn't realise I would have needed planning permission if it was over 30cm from the ground. Your decking looks great Roger, did you need to get planning permission?
I have a strip of walkway a metre wide outside the bungalow, then another metre strip about 550mm lower than that. My plan was to come out level from the bungalow height.
Excuse the poor quality picture.
I'd got to the stage of sourcing the decking before realising it would have probably required planning permission

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Coley » 27 Oct 2019, 07:35

I would never have expected pressure treated decking to have rotted so quickly ! I nearly bought a load of pressure treated sleepers for some raised beds. Even though they were dirt cheap, I'm glad I didn't now

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 27 Oct 2019, 08:50

The area that I have decked is a raised area that was built at the same time as the house, behind an existing retaining wall, so as the bearers were supported by a wall plate against the house at the back and by the retaining wall at the front, it wasn't significantly above ground level so I took the view that planning would not be required. We live within an AONB so they're pretty hot on planning around here.

I was pretty disappointed that both the deck boards and bearers rotted out after less than 11 years, but I think that was primarily due to wooden planting tubs resting on them which kept it permanently damp. That's why I have gone down the composite route this time. Millboard is pricey stuff, but a local deck laid 6 years ago still looks as new, so as ours is the first thing people see as they approach the front door we decided it was worth it. And as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to have to do it yet again as I approach 80, (if I'm spared!).

What you see is about 7m x 2.4m and cost about £1500 for materials. . However, even close up, it's difficult to tell that it isn't treated hardwood.

It's not clear how high yours will be agl, but if not significant, or if some of it is at ground level, could you not argue that you based your calculations on average height? How visible is it from prying eyes? . If you say that the existing walkway is at ground level, I suspect that the average height will be below 30cms above ground level. Perhaps you could raise the ground level first? I'm not the best person to ask as I've always had a problem with authority!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Coley » 27 Oct 2019, 10:01

Yours looks fantastic Roger and as you say if it lasts then it's well worth it.
I did a few sketchup drawings before deciding against it purely due to the planning issue.

I dont think anyone would bat an eyelid but it only takes one to get people sniffing around. The area is slightly bigger than yours so it's a few pennys to get wrong.

I think I've figured out a way to leave as and still have an area for table and chairs etc. It would have tidied up the area though which desperately needs doing regardless.

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 27 Oct 2019, 11:11

It seems a shame to work to one plan when in your heart you know there's a better one. There is usually more than one way to get to the same result. Might it be worth having 20 mins with a planning consultant who could confirm one way or another whether you need formal consent?
Might a trip to the planning dept armed with your sketches be in order? Your photos show even better how minor, in both building terms and visual impact, the work would be.

When I relandscaped our garden I was told that so long as my retaining walls were less than 1m high consent wasn't needed. Could you build a low retaining wall and backfill perhaps? The deck would then be less than 30 cms above the new ground level. Mike Garnham may have a constructive view on this. As hinted at previously, I've always had problems with authority, and tend not to ask questions if I'm not prepared to accept the likely answer!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Andyp » 27 Oct 2019, 11:24

Better to seek forgiveness...... eh Roger? :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Coley » 27 Oct 2019, 11:46

Blocking up the front could be an option but it would have meant doing a bit of masonry which I've never done before. The space underneath the area on the front would have been useful storage.
My concern with someone sniffing around is they might start to question other things like how many sheds take up the area outside

Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Oct 2019, 14:03

Nice job, Roger.

I was going to query what looked like a crooked wall plate but then realised it was an optical illusion from thebay.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Oct 2019, 16:09

I am amazed at how invisible this fixings are.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 27 Oct 2019, 17:46

I quite like the look of decking. Then I moved to a house that actually had it in the back garden, absolutely deadly in winter. Eventually it rotted and we replaced it with granite pavers which is much brighter and not slippery. We did speak to several installers and they said plastic decking doesn’t rot, but will go brittle eventually due to UV. It’s still just as slippery as wood though. Once you’ve slipped over a few times on decking it loses it’s attractiveness somewhat ... :lol:

A couple of the contractors we got quotes from said that most local authorities won’t allow wooden decking at their properties any more for safety reasons.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 30 Oct 2019, 19:57

Decking = rat run.

Big barstewards use the cover to avoid predators, stockpile grub, have multiple litters, chew (loudly) on the support posts, generally act almost as anti-socially as the Kray twins....on reflection, that's probably a slight on the Krays...rattus rattus takes some beating!

Sam, who replaced his decking with flags, because...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Return to Projects & WIP