It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:05

Staircase upgrade - ...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Staircase upgrade - ...

Postby RogerS » 05 Apr 2021, 05:39

Trevanion wrote:.....
I don't see why you keep saying this though, you wouldn't need to replaster and redecorate the WHOLE room, only where the stairs lie against the wall and you're only talking a few days work to patch that up tidily to the rest of it including painting it. You're only plastering two walls at a pitch to the first floor, which can be done by a single man off a hop-up, no need for scaffolding or serious expenses. You probably wouldn't even need to plaster it if you're going off the same rise and fall dimensions as the new stair wall strings would cover most of the old work anyway.

You always see where the new plastering join is. And yes, I do use good plasterers. by a single man off a hop-up although I don't know any with the length of arms that using a hop-up would require.

Trevanion wrote:You couldn't do it three years ago, but you could do it now.

Not a chance. Never made a staircase in my life and not about to start now.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 05 Apr 2021, 08:29

Hey Roger, I've been popping in with interest as and when possible, and hats off to you Sir! 8-)

This is such a brave and tricky operation, requiring a lot of skill and patience. Top banana! (with no pun intended). Looking fabulous so far! :eusa-clap:

:text-coolphotos: :text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Trevanion » 05 Apr 2021, 08:47

RogerS wrote:Not a chance. Never made a staircase in my life and not about to start now.

It would be a lot easier than what you're attempting, and make what you're trying to do now a lot easier as well as everything will actually work as it should. At the moment, you're trying to force something that simply just isn't going to work and as a consequence, you've wasted a good amount of time doing it.

You didn't listen months ago, it's clear you won't listen now. I won't keep dragging on the issue but I'm not willing to give any advice on something I know full well can not be done.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Apr 2021, 08:53

Trevanion wrote:
RogerS wrote:Not a chance. Never made a staircase in my life and not about to start now.

It would be a lot easier than what you're attempting, and make what you're trying to do now a lot easier as well as everything will actually work as it should. At the moment, you're trying to force something that simply just isn't going to work and as a consequence, you've wasted a good amount of time doing it.

You didn't listen months ago, it's clear you won't listen now. I won't keep dragging on the issue but I'm not willing to give any advice on something I know full well can not be done.

No worries, Dan.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 05 Apr 2021, 09:51

RogerS wrote:OK...new approach here. At 9.45...works for me :D

Impressive. Seriously hot on PPE, I now realise why they have half closed eyes and gritted teeth. Fingers, eyes and electrical wires just a tad too close to the sharp spinney bits for my liking.
Any more tips for good horror films Roger. ;)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 05 Apr 2021, 09:57

Lons wrote:
RogerS wrote:OK...new approach here. At 9.45...works for me :D

Impressive. Seriously hot on PPE, I now realise why they have half closed eyes and gritted teeth. Fingers, eyes and electrical wires just a tad too close to the sharp spinney bits for my liking.
Any more tips for good horror films Roger. ;)

"Train to Busan" ? ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 07 Apr 2021, 10:26

i love the way these guys fashion the turns by hand and eye but why oh why do they always paint it such a horrid sh*tty brown colour? when they sprayed the pindles they looked really nice.
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 09 Apr 2021, 05:44

@AndyT: Is that staircase in Dunster Castle? If so, I have very similar pictures - it's wonderful - Oak IIRC.

@RogerS: I too hate the look of that "pair" of Newels - it's somewhat disturbing to look at -- if the installer did that, how well done are the even-more-structural aspects of the thing?

Aside: I also have diCristina's book on tangent handrailing (found it on one of the shelves in the study only this week). I was sufficiently interested to look up the author's business address (on Google Street View) a few years ago. It's still there in San Francicso, but there's no evidence now of it being a production workshop.

It's nice to think there are quite a few West Coast mansions with his sweeping curvy staircases as a memorial to a superb craftsman, but I so wish he hadn't put "simplified" in the title -- it's so demoralizing...

;-) E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 09 Apr 2021, 07:28

Eric the Viking wrote:@AndyT: Is that staircase in Dunster Castle? If so, I have very similar pictures - it's wonderful - Oak IIRC.

;-) E.

Yes, Dunster. I think it's so much better than carving as mere superficial decoration - it's more like a display of exuberant sculpture; the outside natural world brought into the house.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 10 Apr 2021, 17:54

Here's a few photos of the second trial piece. I can see the advantage now of a ply template. I couldn't before. Next time I'll use a couple.

I've tried a mixture of devices.

Power plane - apart from the fact that it's a really horrible manky one from a DIY shed - you can't easily see what you're doing.
Belt sander - ditto.
Angle grinder with :

flap wheel - not bad
Saburrtooth - excellent

Axminster carver Image - hairy but gets the job done.

Microplane - too slow

The trouble with a lot of these is that their cutting action is rotary and so you've still got the scalloped areas to work out flat. Saburrtooth do a flat wheel but it's not that flat and TBH not much more use than the curved one that I have. I was going to send it back unopened to Axminster but thought..better try it..you never know. So I did and it isn't and so I can't.

I'm waiting for an adapter to use a Flexcut chisel in my Bosch power chisel that I've had for donkeys' years and had totally forgotten about.

And here it is in situ with the easing. Not bad.

ImageP1130512 by countryman69, on Flickr
ImageP1130509 by countryman69, on Flickr

And the good thing is that looking down from the top, not too much of a problem with the spindles. I was concerned I'd have to do something fancy if the curve was away from the stringers and new support. The sides aren't brilliant but ....Proof of Concept...Proof of Concept :lol:

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2021, 17:57

Wow!!

:text-bravo:

Just like watching the Asian guys' video, but with stills. :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 10 Apr 2021, 18:26

I admire your tenacity with this project Roger :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby DaveL » 10 Apr 2021, 21:46

Well that is quite a break though.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 11 Apr 2021, 09:36

DaveL wrote:Well that is quite a break though.

Oi...you sayin' I'm not working fast enough ? :o

I think maybe 'breakthrough'....LOL
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 11 Apr 2021, 09:55

Trevanion wrote:
RogerS wrote:Happy to prove you wrong :D ;)

I'll gladly eat my hat when I see it wrap around the corner

Now where is that hat! :text-lol:
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 11 Apr 2021, 10:09

meccarroll wrote:
Trevanion wrote:
RogerS wrote:Happy to prove you wrong :D ;)

I'll gladly eat my hat when I see it wrap around the corner smoothly

Emphasis on “smoothly”! The hat hasn’t come off the coat hanger just yet.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 11 Apr 2021, 10:44

Trevanion wrote:
meccarroll wrote:
Trevanion wrote: I'll gladly eat my hat when I see it wrap around the corner smoothly

Emphasis on “smoothly”! The hat hasn’t come off the coat hanger just yet.

Yes I did take your comments out of context, sorry about that, but the gremlin came out :?

You have to agree that Rodger is determined to succeed and it's looking like he will.
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 11 Apr 2021, 11:17

meccarroll wrote:Yes I did take your comments out of context, sorry about that, but the gremlin came out :?

You have to agree that Rodger is determined to succeed and it's looking like he will.

I agree that it's good progress but it's completely wasted time on something that will always be sub-par, no matter how nice a handrail. I can't abide time-wasting, it's a massive pet peeve of mine. If you do a half-job you will always look at it and go "I wish I had done X, Y or Z" and that will constantly bear on your mind until you either re-do the job properly or die, if you do it correctly ONCE and you never have to think about it again.

"People are frugal in guarding their personal property; but as soon as it comes to squandering time they are most wasteful of the one thing in which it is right to be stingy." - Seneca
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Apr 2021, 11:43

Trevanion wrote:....but it's completely wasted time on something that will always be sub-par, ....

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. Even though it's wrong ! ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Apr 2021, 13:15

Mod Hat on.
Gents,
I feel that whilst it is fine for someone to admit they have been wasting their own time if they so wish, time thought to be wasted can often be the time the other person cares to take learning how to do something.
Lets keep things friendly please.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Trevanion » 11 Apr 2021, 14:14

RogerS wrote:You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. Even though it's wrong !

When I say that, I'm not suggesting that your own work will be sub-par, Roger, and my comments only have good intentions. I'm talking about the existing stair itself being a complete swine, and no matter how nice of a handrail you put on top of it, it will still be a swine.

My hat isn't on the plate just yet :)

9fingers wrote:Mod Hat on.
Gents,
I feel that whilst it is fine for someone to admit they have been wasting their own time if they so wish, time thought to be wasted can often be the time the other person cares to take learning how to do something.
Lets keep things friendly please.

Bob

As I said above, the comments are only meant with good intentions and aren't supposed to be overly negative towards Roger. I consider him (and everyone else here) a colleague and I'm only expressing what I honestly think, rather than falsely egging him on to achieve something I personally don't believe will work right.

I'll keep my thoughts to myself for now.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 28 Apr 2021, 14:54

Roger, as you are feeling poorly, how about yet another video on how someone else makes a curvy handrail?
Google knows we like this sort of thing, and it's hard not to feed the algorithm, but I was quite surprised by this one, from Peru.

It's more entertainment than instruction, at least for me. (And the stairs are not like yours, but bear with me.)

It includes the obligatory shots of how to use an unguarded circular saw to shave a curve, and a spindle moulder which looks more wobbly than it probably should, but the real surprise for me was the choice of template material for a wreath. It appears at 10 minutes 22 but only briefly - I thought I had missed seeing what it was, but it comes back in a clearer shot a few moments later. Not accurate, but cheap, and very inventive!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby BigMonka » 14 May 2021, 20:34

Roger how’s the staircase going?
BigMonka
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 May 2021, 22:24

BigMonka wrote:Roger how’s the staircase going?

Many thanks for asking. Slowly, is the word. Timescales slipping by the day and crashing into other commitments.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2021, 15:59

My sincere apologies to one and all for this long overdue update. Thing is I thought that I’d posted a lot of it but clearly not.

Working on getting the basic mould out for the main wreath was challenging. Trying to visualise where the lines should go and at what twist/angle as we move down the length of the wreath had me tearing my hair out. To help, I used coloured stickers at either end to make sure I was applying the line with the correct twist in the right direction which helped a bit.

Workholding

When I was making up the trial pieces I was struggling to keep the wood secure in a normal bench vice and a bit of research brought up this vice which is superb for this sort of work. Each jaw pivots and then the whole vice pivots.

Orienting with the straight handrails

One of the things I was keen on was seeing how the wreath would line up with the two adjacent handrails. I wasted a lot of time trying to find a way of temporarily fixing these two adjacent straight handrails with two secure reference points at the ends for the wreath and also thinking that they needed to be at the finish height for the handrail. Of course, they do not. They can be as low as I want and so I made a couple of guide posts out of ply that were screwed at the right position on the stringers.

You can see them here and also the wreath slowly coming together.

It’s in there somewhere…

Here’s a few photos taken as work ‘progressed’.

That ‘box’ right of frame with ‘TOP’ on it is my home-grown dust filter. Inside is a pre-filter (still available) and the main filter (no longer available) from Axminster and intended for one of theirs …possibly a Jet. Airflow is created by a massive fan at the other end sucking in the dust. Works well.

Shaping was done using an assortment of tools ranging from spokeshaves (convex and concave), Saburrtooth discs, grinder abrasive wheels and my Mirka Ceros. And an infinite amount of patience.

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP