It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:25

Workshop Storage Unit

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Workshop Storage Unit

Postby NickM » 14 Feb 2021, 14:23

My next significant (for me) project is going to be a small workshop cupboard/drawer unit. It will give me some much needed storage and I'll probably use the top as a permanent sharpening station and as a place for doing the odd bit of dirty metal work and that sort of thing.

I plan to make it using "proper" joinery, not least because I treat these projects as good practice for making nicer pieces. If it's not perfect it doesn't matter because, at the end of the day, it's a workshop cupboard.

This is my rough design:

IMG_8200.jpeg
(270.51 KiB)

And this is the sort of joinery I'll be using (frame and panel construction rather than slab construction):

IMG_8201.jpeg
(401.52 KiB)

With lockdown, I've taken a bit of a punt on ordering some redwood from Sydenhams so hopefully it'll be alright.

I'm not great at remembering to take photos, but I will try to update this from time to time because I see it as part of my learning process for people to point out where I'm going wrong...
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Workshop Storage Unit

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 14:39

Well, where you are going 100% right is in starting with a drawing showing what you are up to, and a clear description of your method (ie joinery rather than domino or dowels, wood and panel rather than solid boards). Also, a cutting list. So, great start. :eusa-clap: Good luck with the build. I really enjoy seeing people tackle traditional joinery.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Feb 2021, 15:49

Mike G wrote:Well, where you are going 100% right is in starting with a drawing showing what you are up to, and a clear description of your method (ie joinery rather than domino or dowels, wood and panel rather than solid boards). Also, a cutting list. So, great start. :eusa-clap: Good luck with the build. I really enjoy seeing people tackle traditional joinery.

I'd agree, that's the way to go about it...most of the time, but sometimes it ain't; sometimes the 'fag packet' approach works. I've got a load of London Plane (cut roughly to size) coming along nicely in the house and once I get it back into the 'shop, I can play around with the bits to see what transpires and once that's been done I can do a decent 1:1 drawing. Sometimes though, I don't even do that and 'wing' it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 14 Feb 2021, 18:48

I've nothing to add except my agreement with all of the above!
Watching with interest.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 18:57

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:Well, where you are going 100% right is in starting with a drawing showing what you are up to, and a clear description of your method (ie joinery rather than domino or dowels, wood and panel rather than solid boards). Also, a cutting list. So, great start. :eusa-clap: Good luck with the build. I really enjoy seeing people tackle traditional joinery.

I'd agree, that's the way to go about it...most of the time, but sometimes it ain't; sometimes the 'fag packet' approach works.........

100%. But I was meaning the right way to do a useful WIP on the forum is to start with a drawing etc.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 20 Feb 2021, 19:18

I've made a bit of progress with this, starting with the two end "panels".

Pretty simple stuff - two stiles/legs and two rails per end. Bottom rails are simple mortise and tenon joints. The top rails have haunched tenons.

What I have realised, is that the dimensions of the parts are a fair bit chunkier than I imagined they would be based on my drawing. However, I decided to stick to the original plan. This is workshop furniture which might double up as a second bench so it needs to withstand some abuse. It was actually good fun to work on some large bits of timber. Another project I have underway is a fiddly box with veneer and inlay so it was a real contrast!

I machined the parts to rough dimensions and then hand planed the surfaces to clean them up.

The only mistake was too big a cut out for one of the haunches. Real brain fade on that one. I've glued a piece in to repair that and will finish it tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with the fit of the joints.

IMG_8228.jpeg
(375.79 KiB)

IMG_8229.jpeg
(427.35 KiB)

IMG_8230.jpeg
(407.43 KiB)

IMG_8232.jpeg
This is the repair for the mistake I made.
(259.24 KiB)

Next job is to run grooves for the ply panels to fit into.

I then need to decide whether to glue up the end panels before doing the joinery for the stretchers which join the two panels together. Pros of gluing up would be a dimensionally stable part which will be helpful for marking out the other parts. The con is that it will be cumbersome to handle. Any thoughts on best practice?
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 21 Feb 2021, 20:07

Rather than run the grooves for the ply in the side panels, I decided to carry on with the overall joinery and made the bottom stretchers. I decided to go for twin tenons. Not sure why really, but I'd never done one before so it seemed a good time to try it.

IMG_8235.jpeg
(334.92 KiB)

Loosely fitted together it's starting to take shape.

IMG_8239.jpeg
(446.54 KiB)

The top stretchers will probably be next. They're more complicated as they involve dovetails into the top of the legs and side rails.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 24 Feb 2021, 09:31

I've now tackled the top rails/stretchers which have dovetails into the top of the legs and the top side rails.

I made the rails first:

IMG_8242.jpeg
(330.35 KiB)

I then marked out for the pins:

IMG_8244.jpeg
(259.91 KiB)

And set about cutting the pins. No different to a half blind dovetail, although the pins in the side rails are into long grain so they're a bit more like cutting a mortise I suppose.

IMG_8247.jpeg
(275.15 KiB)

I'm pretty happy with how these came out:

IMG_8248.jpeg
(265.16 KiB)

IMG_8250.jpeg
(370.76 KiB)

I've realised that I will need to rip a bit off the rear rail to allow for the back panel to slot in.

Next job will be the drawer rail and drawer divider.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 24 Feb 2021, 09:45

Coming along really well - I'd be very pleased with those joints. Timber looks good too.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 24 Feb 2021, 09:51

Thanks Andy

Yes, I'm pretty pleased with the timber. I took a bit of a punt and got a delivery of unsorted redwood from Sydenhams as it's very difficult to visit the timber yards near us at the moment. I bought enough for this project and quite a lot extra and all the boards look good.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 24 Feb 2021, 10:01

Thanks. Did you buy it PAR or is there a planer thicknesser somewhere out of shot?
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 24 Feb 2021, 10:12

Sawn boards. I have a planer thicknesser. I like using hand tools very much but draw the line at flattening and dimensioning large boards!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 24 Feb 2021, 10:50

That’s coming along really nicely and those joints look pretty darn good to me, do you really need to rip a bit off that top back stretcher? Why not groove the underside to match the legs and put the ply in as you glueup, it’s possible I may have misunderstood. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby NickM » 24 Feb 2021, 11:28

Cabinetman wrote:That’s coming along really nicely and those joints look pretty darn good to me, do you really need to rip a bit off that top back stretcher? Why not groove the underside to match the legs and put the ply in as you glueup, it’s possible I may have misunderstood. Ian

That is a possibility. However, the other thing I need to factor in is that there will be a vertical piece attached to that stretcher which holds the central drawer runner/guide. Circled in red:

IMG_8201.jpeg
(411.17 KiB)

I was thinking I might dovetail that joint to the stretcher to make it stronger given it will taking a vertical load. That would be easier to do if I ripped a bit off the stretcher.

Any thoughts on that? I'll have a look in some other books as well to see if it shows how that joint is normally made.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Feb 2021, 11:38

NickM wrote:Sawn boards. I have a planer thicknesser. I like using hand tools very much but draw the line at flattening and dimensioning large boards!

Ironically, they're the boards I'm most likely to flatten with hand planes. I do really big boards and smaller boards by hand, and stuff in the middle, normally anything longer than my bench, through the PT.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 24 Feb 2021, 11:43

Yes, the little vertical hanger should be dovetailed in. If I were you I would reduce the width of the rail to match the drawing. It will also make assembly easier as you won't have to turn the frame over.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 24 Feb 2021, 12:01

AndyT wrote:Yes, the little vertical hanger should be dovetailed in. If I were you I would reduce the width of the rail to match the drawing. It will also make assembly easier as you won't have to turn the frame over.

Thanks. I think that's what I'll do.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Feb 2021, 14:00

Really great WIP, thanks. Quality work to boot. :eusa-clap:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 27 Feb 2021, 19:27

I've done a bit more on this. Third time lucky I made the drawer rail. Twin tenons in mortises on the inside corners of the leg, and a longer tenon which is rebated into the back of the leg. The back of the drawer rail will have a slot for the dust covers.

IMG_8256.jpeg
(281.35 KiB)

IMG_8257.jpeg
(215.57 KiB)

IMG_8260.jpeg
(161.63 KiB)

I also made the small drawer divided. Twin tenons into the top rail and drawer rail.

IMG_8259.jpeg
(257.87 KiB)

Starting to take shape.

IMG_8258.jpeg
(354.93 KiB)

I can't decide whether to have a vertical divider between the two cupboards. Is it just an aesthetic/practicality point, or is there more to consider? If I put a shelf in, I guess it would provide a front support which could help with bowing.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 19:31

Nick, I'm really enjoying the joinery here. It's first rate.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Feb 2021, 19:38

Nice going.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AndyT » 27 Feb 2021, 19:52

NickM wrote:
I can't decide whether to have a vertical divider between the two cupboards. Is it just an aesthetic/practicality point, or is there more to consider? If I put a shelf in, I guess it would provide a front support which could help with bowing.

I think it depends on what is going in the cupboard. If it's one big thing, no divider. Small things, divider ok and gives you somewhere for door catches. And extra support for a shelf, good for small heavy things.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 27 Feb 2021, 22:12

Thanks for the kind comments.

I originally drew it with a divider between the doors so I'll probably go that route I think.

To be honest, I don't know what I'll end up putting in the cupboard, but it won't be one thing which is sufficiently large that a divider will be a problem.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Feb 2021, 08:02

I am pleased that people like you take the time to make and share projects like that.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Cabinetman » 28 Feb 2021, 10:04

Looking really good, if it was me, no central divide, a little bolt on the back at the top of the first door that closes if you are putting a lock on the other door. Or else just magnet catches on both doors.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Next

Return to Projects & WIP