It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:30

Posh pencil box with inlay - updated with finishing

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Posh pencil box with inlay - updated with finishing

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 May 2021, 21:56

I posted some pictures of a jewellery box that I made a bit ago and there was a request that I post how I do the inlay. Having been a bit busy with work and a bit of civil engineering to get ready for a new wood shed I finally got around to a bit of woodwork.

I've learned doing this that doing one of these posts is much harder than it seems ... I keep forgetting to take pictures. If anyone has any suggestions on my method please comment - there is a lot of experience on here and there is no such thing as a monopoly on good ideas.

Having has a root around in my offcuts I found a nice piece of cherry. It planed down to 10mm thickness and has an interesting pattern in it. Most of my boxes are square of proportioned using the Golden Ratio but this one is long and thin. At the moment I'm thinking it will be a posh pencil box but we'll see.

This is the construction

1boxconstruction.JPG
Box Construction
(310.54 KiB)

I have just realised that I don't know what the joint is called - a lapped butt joint? I rough cut them by hand (tenon saw and chisel) and finish them on the router table.

Bubinga veneer was to hand and even though it's highly figured and a small box I still decided to bookmatch it. Basically I need identical rectangles half the size of the top from two consecutive sheets. I align the sheets and use a mirror to find the pattern I want and then just cut through both sheets at the same time with a scalpel.

2veneerchoice.jpg
Finding veneer cut
(332.52 KiB)

4substrate.jpg
Top substrate
(356.51 KiB)

The substrate for the bottom of the box is 2mm MDF this is sandwiched between two veneer sheets (no bookmatch) making 3mm overall thickness. The top is 4mm MDF with the bookmatch on one side and a single sheet of veneer on the underside making 5mm. The picture above is the top with a centre line to align the bookmatch - if it's not straight it looks naff!

To get a clean and matching edge for the bookmatch I align the two pieces, sandwich them between a couple of pieces of scrap and use the shooting board.

3bookmatch.JPG
Bookmatch edge
(363.22 KiB)

I then align the book match and tape it together with masking tape. Stretching the tape slightly improves the result but if it curls like this you have to take care that the edges are butting up against each other when placing in position. If one overlaps the other it's firewood once it comes out of the veneer press.

6tapeup.jpg
Taped bookmatch
(237.33 KiB)

Here's where I forgot to take pictures until I had put the top and bottom in the press ...

7veneerpress.jpg
Veneer press
(319.65 KiB)

What I should have shown you is that the top and bottom substrates have had Titebond Cold Veneer glue applied to both sides before sandwiching between their respective veneers. These are then placed between 18mm MDF Boards in the press. The total "stack" is 18mm MDF Board, Neoprene sheet, absorbent paper sheet, bottom veneer, MDF substrate, top veneer, absorbent paper, Neporene sheet and 18mm MDF Board.

The absorbent paper deals with any bleed through of the glue.

To be continued.
Last edited by Blackswanwood on 05 Jun 2021, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Re: Posh pencil box with inlay

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 May 2021, 22:16

The box sides needed grooves for the top and bottom. Both grooves are 3 mm as the top will be rebated (it's 5mm thick). The top groove is 2.5mm below the top of the sides - this assists with getting the top perfectly flat later. The grooves are 3.5mm deep.

8grooves.jpg
Top & Bottom grooves
(271.37 KiB)

This is the top after it has been rebated on the router table. The resulting "tongue" is 3mm long.

9top.jpg
Top with rebate cut
(126.48 KiB)

The box can now be assembled. To save faffing around I have built this clamping jig

10clampingjig.jpg
Clamping jig
(399.3 KiB)

This is how I left the box clamped up overnight while the glue (Titebond Type 1) set.

11clamped.jpg
Clamped
(256.06 KiB)

This morning the box came out of the clamps and the top made perfectly flat on one of my sanding boards. I find these really useful for box making.

12topflatten.jpg
Flattentop
(298.27 KiB)

I removed the top at the bandsaw ... checking several times that I was not mistakenly cutting the bottom off which I have previously done!

13bandsaw.jpg
Bandsaw
(202.16 KiB)

As ever the box was empty ... the saw marks were removed in the same way the blow was flattened using the sanding board.

14openbox.jpg
Open Box
(196.95 KiB)

To be continued
Last edited by Blackswanwood on 03 May 2021, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 May 2021, 22:45

The lid now needs to be made ready for the inlay.

This is a picture of the box as it came out of the clamps. You can see a slight gap between the book matched lid and the side of the box. The next step is to rout a groove for the inlay that just touches the edges of the box.

Out of clamps.jpg
Out of clamps
(537.62 KiB)

The inlay is 5.5mm wide and I am using a 5mm down cut spiral cutter in the router table. The gap from the back edge of the router cutter to the fence is 9mm (so we clip the edge by 1mm. I then mark on the fence where the leading edge of the top is to be placed (the left hand pencil mark) when making the cut and where the back edge must reach before lifting off (the right hand pencil mark). Depending how brave I am feeling determines how close to 9mm I make this - today I used 11mm. I've screwed this up more than once in the past!

15routertable.jpg
Router Table Set Up
(164.25 KiB)

This was the result

16routedlid.jpg
Inlay housing cut
(317.32 KiB)

The corners need cleaning up and this is my Heath Robinson jig to do it with a corner chisel. If the corners are not neat the inlay simply will not work.

17cornerchisel.jpg
Jig
(225.66 KiB)

This is the underside of the jig - the dark strips register against the outsides of the routed groove. (I have to give credit for the idea to Andrew Crawford of Smartboxmaker.)

18jigunderside.jpg
Underside of jig
(153.09 KiB)
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 May 2021, 23:16

The banding needs to be mitred which I ether do using a 45 degree square and scalpel or self made mitre box with a fine tooth saw.

19cuttingbanding.jpg
Cutting Banding
(309.42 KiB)

It is important using this method to have a sharp scalpel and to make the cuts towards the base of the square or the banding may snap or tear.

20mitrebox.jpg
Mitrebox
(199.62 KiB)

The mitre box can be made quickly at the router table once the lid has been prepared.

I cut mitres on two pieces making sure the pattern aligns on the corner (same colour) and rub the edges of the banding on one of the sanding boards shown earlier until they fit. The router bit used was 5mm and the banding is 5.5mm. It doesn't take many strokes across the board to until the banding fits. It's important to take your time and alternate the edge being applied to the sanding board every couple of strokes.

This gives you the first corner.

21corner1.jpg
First corner
(247.91 KiB)

I then move on and cut the mitre on the short piece on the right hand side (3 in the picture) before trimming piece 2 to fit. It's important to make sure the colour does not change on the corner which may mean adjusting the previous cut to align everything.

22corners123.jpg
next corners
(242.02 KiB)

Everything has to be snug. This picture shows how the long pieces area couple of mm oversize until pushed into place. It's been done right if they go in with a small click.

23bandinglength.jpg
Banding length
(274.46 KiB)

Once everything fits I glued the banding in using PVA concentrating on aligning all the corners before applying pressure at the middle of the banding.

After an hour it's ready to clean up with the cabinet scraper which is one of my favourite bits.

24scraper.jpg
Clean up
(265.15 KiB)
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby Blackswanwood » 03 May 2021, 23:30

I'm using JB101 Brusso Hinges.

25hinges.jpg
Hinges
(310.8 KiB)

To add a chamfer I just add some pencil lines and use my block plane. The chamfer aligns with the thickness of the tongue on the corner joint.

26chamfer.jpg
Chamfer Mark Up
(247.24 KiB)

27chamfered.jpg
Chamfered
(274.58 KiB)

Now it's time to sand to 320 grit

5sanding.jpg
Sanding
(335.15 KiB)

This is my favourite finishing product and I'm about to perform some magic!

28magicpotion.jpg
Magic Potion
(188.58 KiB)

First coat on

29first coat.jpg
First Coat
(207.76 KiB)

30chamfercloseup.jpg
Chamfers
(240.44 KiB)

That's as far as I have got. I'll add a bit more about the finish later in the week.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 May 2021, 00:04

Stunning mate!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 04 May 2021, 06:35

Yeah. posh doesn't do it justice.

Thanks for sharing.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 04 May 2021, 06:37

Excellent job; I've got the whole range of that Peacock Oil stuff and it's rather good - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 06:43

That's beautiful & it's really interesting to see the details of how you make it.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby AJB Temple » 04 May 2021, 07:11

Very nice work indeed. A a super helpful work in progress set.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 07:23

Fantastic, Robert. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post that in-depth WIP. It was me who asked, BTW. The world of veneering is one I just haven't even dabbled with, so this is all new to me. If I ever feel brave enough to have a go, I'll be refering back to this thread.

I presume you just buy the banding for the inlay? I guess that's from the same sort of suppliers as for the veneer, is it? And "absorbent paper".......I presume that's not just kitchen roll or a scrap of newspaper.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 04 May 2021, 08:23

And thanks from me too.
Lovely precision work, clearly presented.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 04 May 2021, 08:29

Thanks Guys.

Mike - I get my inlay from http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/ but am toying with the idea of making my own. A great place for veneer (and I'm pretty sure they also do bandings) is Capital Crispin who have an amazing collection in their warehouse at Beckton near City Airport. Some suppliers will only sell the whole stack - CC grew out of many years supplying small craftsmen and furniture makers in the East End seem to retain that ethos alongside the big commercial stuff.

The absorbent paper I am using currently is newsprint paper which I scrounged out of some packaging and ironed flat.

Cheers
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Postby novocaine » 04 May 2021, 08:38

very nice. It needs some posh pencils to go in it.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Alf » 04 May 2021, 09:45

Beautiful job, Robert.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 04 May 2021, 10:09

That's brilliant Robert. A really enjoyable thread - thanks so much for posting because I know it's a lot of work.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Malc2098 » 04 May 2021, 10:13

Nice. Really nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby thetyreman » 04 May 2021, 11:44

very classy, I love the veneer work, and good to see high spec hinges used.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Peri » 04 May 2021, 17:50

Nice !
Attachments
nice.gif
(1.99 MiB)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Cabinetman » 04 May 2021, 17:52

Smashing WIP thank you very much, just in case you didn’t know that newsprint paper is exactly the same as what your fish and chips are wrapped up in,I’m sure your local chippy will sell you some if they won’t give you it as a good customer. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Rezi » 04 May 2021, 19:11

Fantastic. I want to try my hand at veneering and inlaying so thanks for posting this tutorial.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Villa Chemist » 05 May 2021, 07:45

Beautiful.

These are the pencils you need:

https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/palomi ... 7dEALw_wcB
Villa Chemist
Seedling

Name:

Postby Alf » 05 May 2021, 07:58

I was thinking Caran d'Ache Les Crayons de la Maison. Some of the earlier editions used some rather nice exotics, if you didn't mind paying seven quid a pencil...
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 05 May 2021, 08:01

Villa Chemist wrote:Beautiful.

These are the pencils you need:

https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/palomi ... 7dEALw_wcB

Oh yes, blackwing. I got given 1 once. I didn't like the eraser. :eusa-snooty: :lol:

needs to come with a copy of this

*not my personal copy, that's on my desk in work. My copy was used by David Rees. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Villa Chemist » 05 May 2021, 08:03

Alf wrote:I was thinking Caran d'Ache Les Crayons de la Maison. Some of the earlier editions used some rather nice exotics, if you didn't mind paying seven quid a pencil...

I love the lead on a Blackwing. They are my favourites.

You need a pencil sharpener too...

https://youtu.be/wDvvIVmCANc
Villa Chemist
Seedling

Name:

Next

Return to Projects & WIP