It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:00

Bar Clamps

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Bar Clamps

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 16:09

I'm planning to make some bar clamps based on the design by Neil Paskin (link below). I'm sure it would be more sensible to buy some, but I like the idea of having some robust clamps that all sit at the same level and rest comfortably on the bench. Buying a lot of long, fairly heavy-duty clamps would probably be expensive and unless I went with the T-bar type, they wouldn't have the flat surface on which to support workpieces. Even the relatively cheap options like sash clamps are likely to be £30 or more for a metre length clamp; by my calculations the set of clamps I'm going for should cost me about £12 each (ignoring time and argon). Also (and probably more importantly) it'll be a fun project as I enjoy TIG welding and haven't had many projects involving much of it recently.

Neil Paskin didn't provide any real details of the design, so I decided to start with a CAD model (image of the latest version above) and a quick prototype made much shorter than the final clamps will be:

While making the prototype, I found various issues with my original design (mostly designing to engineering tolerances rather than allowing for welding movement!), so I updated the CAD model to suit and the final clamps should look more like the image at the top.

This really won't involve much woodworking (apart from making the handles and the jaws): it's almost entirely a welding project. However, I'm writing a build log on my website and on the MIG welding forum; is this something that would be of interest to anyone on here? If so, I'll keep posting updates to this thread as well.

This is the video on which I'm basing the design:

My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Re: Bar Clamps

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 16:47

Not just interested in the write up, I'm interested in the clamps. Careful what you say because you could find yourself going into production!! :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 May 2021, 16:56

I feel there might be a weak point in the flat strip used for the fixed end of the clamp. Perhaps a short length of box section might be better.
In an ideal world, clamps don't need to exert huge forces but just now and then some excessive persuasion can be needed.
I don't know how many members here have hot metal glue guns I would think there should be a good degree of interest.
I quite like Neil Paskin's work and often watch his videos.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 04 May 2021, 17:12

His work is fun, but I hate his voiced-over videos.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 17:33

9fingers wrote:I feel there might be a weak point in the flat strip used for the fixed end of the clamp. Perhaps a short length of box section might be better.

I agree and have already got a plan to deal with that if need be (I'm going to do some strength testing on the prototype soon). The plan looks something like this:

1620142156722.png
(82 KiB)

(welded to the green box section at the bottom obviously).

I might instead do it with a longer bar that goes all the way down past the box section; depends what I feel like when I get there!
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 17:35

As there seems to be some interest, I'll continue...

The model above is fairly close to how Neil Paskin designed his bar clamps (as far as I can tell from the limited information in the video). My plan is to make eight clamps; four will have a maximum clamping length of 1 metre; the other four will clamp up to about 1.7 metres. These lengths were chosen based mostly on material availability: I'll be using four 3 metre lengths of threaded rod. Allowing for the 1 metre clamping length of the shorter bars and adding the extra length required due to the shape of the jaws, the 1 metre clamps will use 1140 mm long pieces of threaded rod. The "offcut" will be about 1860 mm and hence that will be the basis of the size of the longer bar clamps.

This shows a close-up of what I'm calling the "screw jaw". This shows one of the more significant changes I've made relative to Neil Paskin's design. In the original, the end plate was welded onto the end of the box section piece that forms the main bar. For mine, I decided to attach this in a removable way using an M12 hex-head screw. A piece of steel is welded into the end of the box section and has an M12 hole drilled and tapped in the end. There's a short length of 30 mm × 30 mm × 2 mm box section welded to the end plate - this stops the end plate from rotating and the M12 hex-head screw (not shown in the model) holds it tight to the main 25 mm × 25 mm × 2 mm box section.

The advantage of this modification is that both jaws will be removable from their box section bar, which will mean that I can make longer or shorter bar clamps in future simply by welding some threaded bar to some box section.

This image shows a cross-section through the bar clamp. Another change I've made to Neil Paskin's design is to make the sliding jaw (right-hand side) the same width as the screw jaw. This means I can use the same size bar stock to make the parts.

Apart from dimensional details (as I don't have any dimensions for Neil Paskin's version) and build process (due to available tools), that's pretty much all I'm changing.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 17:38

The first thing I did in the build was some investigation into welding the threaded bar to the box section. This is an important part of the design and it's important that the welds are relatively tidy so that the screw jaw can slide freely and the half-nut in the sliding jaw doesn't interfere with the weld beads.

In the original video, Neil Paskin used his gasless MIG welder to attach the threaded rod to the box section. I don't have a MIG welder, so I needed to explore other options. The threaded rod I have came with zinc plating; to TIG weld this I would need to remove that plating, but that would expose the threaded rod to the possibility of rust and it can't be painted as the thread would no longer be usable.

My first attempt to overcome this was to get the arc welder out. My arc welding skills are... well... limited, as you can see in this photo (which was my fourth attempt). I could have carried on practising and I'm sure I would have got there. However, I noticed that the zinc plating near the weld beads had turned a matt grey. I suspected that this was a sign that the zinc plating had gone, so I sprayed the sample with some water to see what happened.

As I suspected, the plating is no longer doing its job, so this doesn't seem like a good option (even if I could master the art of arc welding).

Given that the zinc wasn't surviving the arc welding and that TIG welding is a much more pleasant process (fume & splatter free and also a lot more controlled), I went back to TIG - the test piece is shown above. It will still be susceptible to corrosion, so I will have to apply some ACF50 or Metalguard or similar. My workshop has a dehumidifier running all the time (controlled by a humidistat) and there is lots of unprotected steel. So far I haven't had a problem with rust, so I'm hoping that these new bar clamps will survive. Apart from the box section and threaded rod, most parts of the clamps will be painted or can easily be oiled without risking getting oil onto the wood being clamped, so it shouldn't be too bad and I can always replace or de-rust the box section bars if they do corrode (as these pieces are quick and easy to make). I could have used stainless steel for the box section and the threaded rod, but this would have been a heck of a lot more expensive.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Peri » 04 May 2021, 17:41

I totally loved making my 5' clamps. Super massively over-engineered (I was asked 'What part of the bridge are they designed to replace?' haha), but if you're going to make something, make it to last!
Attachments
07-finished-2.jpg
(136.06 KiB)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 17:43

Having decided that everything is going to be TIG welded, the next job was to clean all the zinc off the threaded rod and nuts and to clean the mill scale off the box section and flat bar. Getting rid of the zinc plating is really easy as it's a thin layer that can easily be removed with citric acid, which is cheap and easy to buy in powder form (and I bought a big tub of it a few years ago). For the mill-scale, I could remove it with an angle grinder, but that's a really unpleasant process and the citric acid is a reasonably effective alternative.

As most of the parts I'm working with are long and relatively narrow, I used a couple of lengths of "square line" gutter as a citric acid bath. There's an end cap on each end of the guttering; I put some grease on the seals to help ensure the acid mixture stayed in the gutter, but I don't know whether that was necessary. I'd worried that these end caps are designed to stop small amounts of water (which is typically flowing away from the end cap) leaking through and I wasn't sure how it would cope with a filled-up gutter.

These photos show the box section and threaded rod before and after being in the citric acid "tank". I used about a mug full of citric acid powder in each bit of gutter and filled it up with cold water. It's much quicker with hot water, but I had a lot of pieces to go through and figured it would be cold for most of the time so it wasn't worth the effort of heating the water. The zinc comes off in a matter of minutes, but I tend to leave each set of pieces in the gutter overnight to be safe.

When the parts come out, they need a bit of immediate attention. The threaded rod just needs to be thoroughly dried (I use my air compressor to blow-dry them) as they will rust if left dripping. The box section needs to be wiped clean of any remaining oil and then needs a quick rub with a Scotchbrite pad. I used a maroon (360 grit) pad (and actually a "Hermes Webrax Hand Pad" rather than genuine Scotchbrite). I also use the air compressor to blow out excessive water from the inside of the box section.

The mill-scale on the flat bar (I'm using 3 mm × 30 mm and 3 mm × 50 mm bar) is a lot thicker than that on the box section. The citric acid doesn't completely shift it (at least in the time I've been allowing it), so I use a "non-woven preparation wheel" on the angle grinder to clean the last bits of scale off. I've tried using this wheel on a bit of the flat bar that hadn't been in the citric bath and it took much, much longer to get the steel clean, so it's definitely worthwhile putting it in the citric acid before trying to clean it. With hindsight it probably would have been easier to buy some 3 mm cold rolled sheet, but this would have been a lot more expensive.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 17:44

Peri wrote:I totally loved making my 5' clamps. Super massively over-engineered (I was asked 'What part of the bridge are they designed to replace?' haha), but if you're going to make something, make it to last!

Ooh, they're really pretty!

I don't suppose you did a build thread at the time did you? I'd love to read it!
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Chris101 » 04 May 2021, 18:14

Hiya Al, looks like an interesting project.
I use 4mm box section with cramp heads (paramo and record ones are far better finished than the new ones by Rutlands etc) although I believe they were originally designed to be used with wooden bars. (I think?)
xaGTaAT.jpg
(393.01 KiB)

The only reason I post this is that Custard kindly pointed out in a different thread on a different site that one minor 'failing' of these type of heads is that the face or mating angle of the head can be pushed back a little when cinching the cramps tight. There is some play between the bar and the head. Hence the heads would damage edges on occasion especially on thinner stock.
Being Custard he also suggested a neat solution of using shims or small wedges to keep the heads square to the bar which works well on this type of head

Just wondering if this might possibly help you out at this early stage although I'm not sure it affects your design. Just a heads up in case it might.

Looking forward to progress. Interesting thread. ;)
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 18:51

Chris101 wrote:Hiya Al, looks like an interesting project.
I use 4mm box section with cramp heads (paramo and record ones are far better finished than the new ones by Rutlands etc) although I believe they were originally designed to be used with wooden bars. (I think?)
xaGTaAT.jpg

The only reason I post this is that Custard kindly pointed out in a different thread on a different site that one minor 'failing' of these type of heads is that the face or mating angle of the head can be pushed back a little when cinching the cramps tight. There is some play between the bar and the head. Hence the heads would damage edges on occasion especially on thinner stock.
Being Custard he also suggested a neat solution of using shims or small wedges to keep the heads square to the bar which works well on this type of head

Just wondering if this might possibly help you out at this early stage although I'm not sure it affects your design. Just a heads up in case it might.

Looking forward to progress. Interesting thread. ;)

Thanks for that. I'm going to put "soft" jaws on my vice (much like Neil Paskin did). I'm sure there will be some pivoting of the jaws when they tighten. It had occurred to me that it might be better to have these slightly tapered top-to-bottom for this exact reason, but I'll do some experimentation when I'm closer to that point. At the very least I might put a radius on the bottom edge (and maybe the other edges too) so that if they tilt up there won't be a sharp corner biting in.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 04 May 2021, 19:34

This is all well and good, but you still won't have enough...
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 04 May 2021, 20:17

NickM wrote:This is all well and good, but you still won't have enough...

:text-goodpost: :text-lol:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Chris101 » 04 May 2021, 20:27

Just trying to cautiously help Al. :)
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 05 May 2021, 10:08

Interesting thread.

Does it make economic sense to make them taking into account the labour time? I know some people like making tools and do a fine job, but I struggle to find enough energy to make inroads into the to do list of stuff at home.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 05 May 2021, 10:20

Possibly a hi jack.

I have plenty of various clamps as I guess most of us do, what I would like to see is some clever way of increasing their jaw depth whilst retaining the rigidity of the clamping area.
I know that is one reason that the bessimer type clamps are so popular.

So two points
OP, have you considered making the clamp face longer (taller).
And to anyone else, ideas for adapting conventional clamps.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 05 May 2021, 10:22

AJB Temple wrote:Does it make economic sense to make them taking into account the labour time?

Almost certainly not. I think they will cost me about £12 each for 8 clamps, so just under £100 in parts. Ignoring the prototyping time, I'm expecting it to take me a couple of weeks of evenings & bits of weekends to make them. If we (probably rather generously) compare them to some T-Bar clamps, the cost for 4 long and 4 short clamps would be £378. Even ignoring the fact I wouldn't buy as many if I were paying "full whack" for them, a sensible hourly rate would definitely make up more than £278.

However, I like the design (they look a lot nicer to use than T-Bar clamps from the videos I've seen where Neil Paskin uses them) and most importantly, I think I'll really enjoy making them.

AJB Temple wrote:I know some people like making tools and do a fine job, but I struggle to find enough energy to make inroads into the to do list of stuff at home.

I'm not claiming for a second that I do a good job of making inroads into the to-do list of stuff at home :D, but I do enjoy making tools; often more than I enjoy making "end products" to be honest (possibly partly because I'm not very good at the "making things pretty" bit).

I find (TIG) welding quite a relaxing thing to do and if I've had any frustrations at work in a day, it's a great way to take my mind off things (as are hand planing wood, turning steel and a few other things). In that sense, what I'm making is largely irrelevant.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 05 May 2021, 10:30

Lurker wrote:I have plenty of various clamps as I guess most of us do, what I would like to see is some clever way of increasing their jaw depth whilst retaining the rigidity of the clamping area.
I know that is one reason that the bessimer type clamps are so popular.

What are "bessimer type" clamps? I googled the term but nothing helpful came up.

Lurker wrote:OP, have you considered making the clamp face longer (taller).

That's a very interesting thought.

I'm still umm-ing and ah-ing about the clamp face to be honest. If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that there's quite a difference between the prototype and the current model - the prototype had much taller jaws than the current model. They looked a bit out-of-proportion on the prototype to me, but the prototype does have the advantage of tall jaws. I'm not really sure what applications would need them where I'd also want very long clamps.

As I increase the height of the jaws, the point that @Chris101 raised comes more into play - if the jaws tilt when tightening, then the top of the jaws really isn't doing very much. That can possibly be dealt with (assuming its consistent) either with tapered wooden jaw faces or by very careful angled welding of the steel jaws.

Perhaps another option for these is to add some extra tall auxiliary jaws that slot onto the standard ones... hmmm... food for thought.

The main application where I find I need deep clamp jaws is for clamping stuff a long way away from the edge. In those applications I tend to reach for my big Lidl F-Clamps that look like this. In that situation I don't need (and probably don't want) clamping all across the jaw, just clamping a long way away from the bar. I'm guessing that's different to what you're referring to when you talk about bessimer clamps.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 05 May 2021, 10:39

Pictures showing what the model looks like with short and tall jaws:

short_jaws.jpg
Short Jaws
(28.43 KiB)

tall_jaws.jpg
Tall Jaws
(31.1 KiB)

(Note there are some other changes to this model as I've been playing around with the end plate support - I'm still undecided as to whether the bar sits on the jaw bases or on one jaw base and an extended end plate)
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 05 May 2021, 11:19

Sorry! Just me being dumb
I meant Bessey clamps as I knew they were popular with the pros and rich folks ;)
I suppose I meant parallel clamps

I have those deep Lidl f clamps and jolly useful they are too.
But just occasionally I would like a bit more clamp face without racking on my longer sash clamps.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 05 May 2021, 11:28

Lurker wrote:Sorry! Just me being dumb
I meant Bessey clamps as I knew they were popular with the pros and rich folks ;)
I suppose I meant parallel clamps

Ah yes, I've got a couple of (much cheaper than Bessey) parallel jaw clamps and I like them a lot and would very much like more of them. I've got these ones - I only bought two as they had two left in a sale and I was being a cheapskate! They work well, but I'd be interested to know how much better the more expensive ones like these ones are. At twice the price, I'd like to think there's something different about them but it's hard to tell without using them in anger I guess.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 05 May 2021, 11:37

Mike G wrote:His work is fun, but I hate his voiced-over videos.

Yeah, he's got the worst Australian accent impression I've ever heard :lol:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Dr.Al » 05 May 2021, 12:00

droogs wrote:
Mike G wrote:His work is fun, but I hate his voiced-over videos.

Yeah, he's got the worst Australian accent impression I've ever heard :lol:

I suspect that's because he's an émigré from the West Midlands.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 05 May 2021, 12:11

Allways thought he sounded a bit Sandwell and Dudley
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Next

Return to Projects & WIP