It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

a shrunken oak table

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

a shrunken oak table

Postby sunnybob » 19 May 2021, 15:27

Its finished, hence its now in projects.
Started out 1.5 metres long with an unknown (to me) mdf centre thinly veneered with real oak.When I found out I took it all out and dumped the mdf.

Its now back in the house, but only 1.1 metres long.
This time the top is solid oak 24 mm thick, with 38 mm sides and ends salvaged from the original top.

IMG_3221.JPG
(197.3 KiB)

IMG_3223.JPG
(167 KiB)

And the ends are now breadboard style with 3 hidden dowels and only the centre 150 mm glued. The end dowels are in slotted holes in the 35 mm full width tongue, to allow for any seasonal movement.
IMG_3224.JPG
(168.09 KiB)

Finish was sanded to 320 grit with a ROS, 2 coats of shellac, another light once over with 320 grit.
Then three coats of shellac and finished off with 2 coats of Memzey's patented secret wax.
I might leave it a week and do the waxing once more time.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: a shrunken oak table

Postby novocaine » 19 May 2021, 15:33

very nice it is too, a job well done by all accounts Bob. careful though, you are making far to much furniture, quickly make a few boxes shaped like elephants and rabbits to redress this situation. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 19 May 2021, 15:37

Now you see, that didn't hurt, did it...... :D What's that........three pieces of furniture in the last few weeks, isn't it? :eusa-clap: :eusa-dance:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 19 May 2021, 15:39

Nowt wrong with that. Well done :obscene-drinkingcheers:
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 May 2021, 15:40

Marvellous. Well done.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 19 May 2021, 15:41

That's straight done for this month. Time to move on to curvy stuff. Nice job.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby sunnybob » 19 May 2021, 15:46

Thanks all.
No chance of any more furniture Mike, Now that I've made 2 headboards, a low two drawer and a middle height four drawer, our house is full.
This table was a lot more work than I expected when I started it, but having used a lot of the old table top wood I kept the cost below a 100 euro, which is cheaper than buying a replacement.
But any more oak furniture will be on a commission basis for someone else.

I just got an order for 2 adirondack garden chairs (NOT in oak :eusa-naughty: ), so the workshop keeps me keeping busy. :eusa-dance: 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 19 May 2021, 15:58

Nice job Bob.
Hope you enjoyed stretching your skills.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 May 2021, 16:40

Looks very nice to me too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby sunnybob » 19 May 2021, 17:01

I do enjoy the problem solving aspect, its why I started making boxes. 8-)
But once the finishing stage arrives my ADD kicks in and I struggle to keep focused enough to do the job properly. :eusa-doh:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 19 May 2021, 17:12

Looks very nice Bob.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 19 May 2021, 17:50

That looks really good, well done
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Woodbloke » 19 May 2021, 17:54

Sound job! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Custard » 19 May 2021, 17:59

Congratulations on a very tidy job!
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 19 May 2021, 18:42

Custard wrote:Congratulations on a very tidy job!

Praise from the master...... :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:
I shall have to practice signing autographs. :eusa-whistle:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 May 2021, 18:56

You have a point there Sunny.

I think you should sign your work. Nowadays I always sign and date things I make, draw or paint. Not from conceit but because when people do this it eventually provides a link to the past. It has caused me problems now and again (a recent chair springs to mind) but I think makers, whatever our skill level and experience (I am gazing up at Gary's quality work from the foothills of mediocrity occupied by me) we should be proud of it.

Not so long ago a house we used to live in was sold. The kitchen and utility room joinery was sold in the Knight Frank brochure as Smallbone of Devizes. Its is in fact solely my work in Oak, Iroko and Teak, and all of the iron work was hand made for me by James at Forest Green Forge. I was very tempted to buy that house back.

You have done a good job Bob and you are clearly learning despite your natural tendency to ignore sensible advice for as long as possible. :lol: Keep at it (the work, not disregarding advice). We all learn from what we do and the mistakes we make. I still cringe at some of my mistakes, but remembering them is helpful. Next job for you - a fine, elegant console table. That is on my list anyway....
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 19 May 2021, 19:31

Adrian, I have been told before to sign my boxes, but just cant bring myself to do it.
Partly because 80% of them have been snaffled by immediate family! :lol:

But I have a serious helping of self doubt, because after all, It's only a hobby and there's nothing "important" about my work (it would certainly never be mentioned in a house sale brochure) :eusa-naughty:

I joke about most things, and dont take much seriously any more, but I really do have a tablespoon full of ADD in my nature, hence my resistance to long books and instruction manuals. To me its all about solving the problem in my head, and I can actually get slightly anal about "solving the problem", you can ask my missuss about that, but then when I have, and it comes to 3 hours of polishing and waxing....... I'm away with the fairies. 8-)
But praise from custard..... oh boy......Thats the pinnacle that wont be beat, because 6 years ago when I started woodworking and said I was not going to use hand planes he "politely" suggested I was not cut out for woodworking and should seek another hobby.
:eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

Dont get that wrong, he has always been the perfect advisor and has sent me "care packages " of exotic woods. (the handle of my "thats not a knife cutlass" is heat treated rippled sycamore from him). 8-) 8-)

But if I can have a branding iron that says "approved by custard", I just might do it. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 May 2021, 19:35

You are not alone in that sentiment, sir.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 19 May 2021, 20:21

sunnybob wrote:Adrian, I have been told before to sign my boxes, but just cant bring myself to do it.
Partly because 80% of them have been snaffled by immediate family! :lol:

But I have a serious helping of self doubt, because after all, It's only a hobby and there's nothing "important" about my work (it would certainly never be mentioned in a house sale brochure) :eusa-naughty:

I joke about most things, and dont take much seriously any more, but I really do have a tablespoon full of ADD in my nature, hence my resistance to long books and instruction manuals. To me its all about solving the problem in my head, and I can actually get slightly anal about "solving the problem", you can ask my missuss about that, but then when I have, and it comes to 3 hours of polishing and waxing....... I'm away with the fairies. 8-)
But praise from custard..... oh boy......Thats the pinnacle that wont be beat, because 6 years ago when I started woodworking and said I was not going to use hand planes he "politely" suggested I was not cut out for woodworking and should seek another hobby.
:eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

Dont get that wrong, he has always been the perfect advisor and has sent me "care packages " of exotic woods. (the handle of my "thats not a knife cutlass" is heat treated rippled sycamore from him). 8-) 8-)

But if I can have a branding iron that says "approved by custard", I just might do it. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Classic "imposter syndrome". You're a bona fide woodworker Bob whether you like it or not!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 20 May 2021, 04:28

Steady man, people dont often talk about my Bona's. :lol: :lol:

The next year or two will determine if my table stays stuck together or not :eusa-doh:
Following the learning curve theme, I've realised I might have to refinish it with something more durable than wax, its used several times a day and I think it might get marked quite easily. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 May 2021, 07:45

sunnybob wrote:Steady man, people dont often talk about my Bona's. :lol: :lol:

The next year or two will determine if my table stays stuck together or not :eusa-doh:
Following the learning curve theme, I've realised I might have to refinish it with something more durable than wax, its used several times a day and I think it might get marked quite easily. 8-)

Now you have wax on it you are stuffed with regard to harder wearing finished without sanding it again so maybe leave it until it needs refinishing and use some hard varnish then.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby sunnybob » 20 May 2021, 10:18

With my new random orbital sander (did I mention I had a new ROS? :lol: ) resurfacing holds no terrors for me anymore.
But it is very slightly sticky to the touch, and I have discovered that I havent smoothed the edges as much as I thought. A couple of them are almost sharp, and the corners points could tear paper :oops:
I'll leave it a few weeks at least before i make a decision (maybe) 8-) 8-) .
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 21 May 2021, 14:38

Nice one Bob 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Projects & WIP