It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:03

Take your pick

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Take your pick

Postby sunnybob » 09 Jun 2021, 13:17

Do you remember Michael Miles and Monica? or are you a child and only know Des Oconnor. Or a mere toddler and havent the faintest idea what I'm babbling about?
My local purveyor of fine vodka does entertainment nights, and has decided to subject his customers to this game. (I seem to be in the minority when I shudder at "taking part" in such things).
Anyway, I dont object to taking his money, so I've built him this set of boxes.
Still in the raw, awaiting painting, locks, and numbers.
12 boxes 6" square, with a "star prize" foot square box on top.

Its crude, but its a stage prop, not an heirloom, so 13 mm ply doors on piano hinge. Main frame of soft wood. With a one piece melamine back plate.
Have to admit, I did it the hard way. If I was paid enough to do another it would be all melamine panels screwed, not soft wood and filler and joints and glue and screws etc. etc.

IMG_3227.JPG
(232.57 KiB)

Its gone to paint now ('er indoors does paint), I'll post another pic when its ready for delivery.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Take your pick

Postby DaveL » 09 Jun 2021, 15:41

Take the money!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 09 Jun 2021, 16:10

Black and white, two channels (three if you were near the border), Hughie Green - was HE not the one with Monica ("Double your money")? Michael Miles, Eamonn Andrews, Emergency Ward 10, Dixon of Dock Green, Cliff Michelmore, Richard Baker...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby sunnybob » 09 Jun 2021, 16:57

Hughie green was the other show Double your money. THREE channels? ONE when I first watched. :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 10 Jun 2021, 08:27

BBC, ITV, and, if you lived in northwest County 'Derry: RTE (transmitter in Innishowen).
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby sunnybob » 10 Jun 2021, 10:09

I've had to google my memory :shock:
ITV started in 55, I first saw TV at my Nan's house. I was young, but if I can remember that, then itv was operating.
But BBC2 didnt start till 64.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby John Brown » 10 Jun 2021, 15:34

sunnybob wrote:I've had to google my memory :shock:
ITV started in 55, I first saw TV at my Nan's house. I was young, but if I can remember that, then itv was operating.
But BBC2 didnt start till 64.

I'm probably the only person who remembers this, but there was some sort of competition to come up with a useful approximation to pi back then, and some bright spark proposed 1964/625, in tribute to BBC2.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby clogs » 10 Jun 2021, 15:57

rather glad I missed all that £arp...playing in the streets...NW London..
bad enough now.......
I could easily live without a tele......
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Jun 2021, 15:59

We had our first TV in 66, rented form Radio Rentals. Remember them?

Mother was taken ill and was in hospital during the first half of the world cup so of course Dad was keen to visit and watch the matches on the TV in the ward. When she came home he had to get his own set to continue watching. I was too young to remember. :eusa-whistle:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Lurker » 10 Jun 2021, 16:38

My dad was the reserve linesman (today he would be called forth official) at one match, I spent the whole time hoping the ref would fall over and break his leg. :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jul 2021, 11:42

I can't remember if I used to fancy Mon! :?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby sunnybob » 03 Jul 2021, 12:43

I only remember she was tiny.

I've just googled her;
4 ft 9"
She seemed to have lost her way after the Tv work dried up, and she committed suicide by a drugs overdose in '94, aged only 45. Very sad.
My boxes have their stage debut tonight, I'm in the audience purely by chance as a birthday party member, I'm going to keep my head down. :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jul 2021, 13:19

sunnybob wrote:I only remember she was tiny.

I've just googled her;
4 ft 9"
She seemed to have lost her way after the Tv work dried up, and she committed suicide by a drugs overdose in '94, aged only 45. Very sad.
My boxes have their stage debut tonight, I'm in the audience purely by chance as a birthday party member, I'm going to keep my head down. :lol:

I remember now. Very sad.

It'll be a great show tonight!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Jul 2021, 17:40

Hughie Green, "I mean that most sincerely folks", probably the most insincere person on television! I had to make a bank of about 20 boxes like this once for post, and I was sick and I tired of the job by the time I’d finished it, looking good though, enjoy tonight.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby sunnybob » 04 Jul 2021, 06:18

Right era, wrong show.
Hughie Green (Canadian) hosted Double your Money, and yes, even as a young child he made my skin crawl.
Michael Miles (New Zealander) hosted Take Your Pick.

My boxes worked last night (I was dreading a stuck lock), but the actual show was a non event. A combination of football and high temperatures reduced the audience to barely 40 people (including the 11 of our party :shock: ).
Would you believe my missus raffle ticket won her the right to open the first box? :oops:
Luckily she won a very insignificant prize, other wise I would have had to make them draw again. :eusa-whistle:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP