It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:15

Annie Sloan Chalk paints

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Annie Sloan Chalk paints

Postby Alder » 20 Aug 2018, 19:41

I have an old box. With a hinged lid which has been in the Family for a very long time. There is shelf at the top which might have been used to store pens. There are ink stains on the bottom,which might suggest it was used to store writing materials at one time. I am in the process of restoring it and one option is to try a suitable colour of paint to smarten it.
I have cleaned it with de-ionised water and it already looks better and merely polishing it is one option. The second option is to paint it and to this effect does any member have experience of using Annie Sloan chalk paint.
Thank you,
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Re: Annie Sloan Chalk paints

Postby 9fingers » 20 Aug 2018, 21:41

Hi Russell,
I've not used chalk paint myself but a friend has used it on upcycled furniture and despite careful rubbing down and cleaning, experienced problems with blotches when the paint dried.

I expect even sanding your piece might be even more difficult.

I did suggest to her that sanding it all off and starting off with a sanding sealer coat might help but she could not face the amount of re-work.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 20 Aug 2018, 22:08

It covers every damn thing. Hate the stuff. My wife did her dressing table with it, and sanded the edges off in the current fashion......and that was over a previously waxed piece of pine furniture. If you want something hidden, then chalk paint is your stuff.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby will1983 » 21 Aug 2018, 08:15

The AS chalk paint marketing bumf will have you believe its a wonder material that is really quick and easy to use, and the paint is. However if you read the instructions on the back of the tin you'll discover you have to apply several coats of their wax over the paint if you want it to last more than a few weeks, this stuff is expensive and pretty hard work.

If it was me, I would just sand it down to give some decent primer a key and then paint it with undercoat and a couple of coats of eggshell.

P.S Don't quote me on it but I believe the AS chalk paint is actually just normal emulsion paint with a quantity of filler (similar to polyfiller) mixed in to give it the chalky feel.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Alder » 21 Aug 2018, 08:41

Thank you Mike G and Will1983 for your helpful replies. I have further cleaned the box with de-ionised water and used rags and elbow grease and it looks pretty good as it is. To the best of my knowledge the box's only value is sentimental Family value.
I have found a replacement lock and handles and will probably present it to my wife on a significant birthday in that state.
Should I wish to experiment with chalk paint I will look for something else to so do.
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Return to Finishing