It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:30

Paint Strippers

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Paint Strippers

Postby Alder » 02 Mar 2021, 19:26

Does anybody on here have any experience of using Paint strippers. This is on a small scale, my current project is stripping a dark Furniture Chair probably from the post war era.
Historically i had Parimova but i am currently using Liberon Fine Wood Stripper (of Some vintage) Axminster have a product on line, are there any other suggestions.
P.S. i mentioned they were post war, of some that i have cleaned some appear to be constructed of mixed woods!
Thank you,
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Re: Paint Strippers

Postby Trevanion » 02 Mar 2021, 19:40

As with all things chemical, they ain't what they used to be! :lol:

Rustin's Strypit is reasonably good, not lightning-fast results like the old Nitromors used to be but good enough to get the job done mostly. I found it helped to apply the Strypit and then cover it with cling film to keep it concentrated on the job.

A good paint stripper can be made with Caustic Soda, water, and cornflour but it's definitely not for the faint of heart and can do more harm than good in a high concentration mix.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Alder » 03 Mar 2021, 18:46

Thank you for the reply. Caustic soda would be no no for me although i am sure it would work.
I liked the suggestion of using cling film and i tried it this afternoon with the Liberon on the spindle part of the chair leg. It came of very but i will have to wait till it dries to judge how effective it was. The chair leg at the moment appears wetter for having the Liberon under cling film for a much longer period than the normal recommendation.
Russell
Alder
New Shoots

Name: Russell Evans

Postby Phil » 22 Mar 2021, 08:39

Alder wrote:Does anybody on here have any experience of using Paint strippers. This is on a small scale, my current project is stripping a dark Furniture Chair probably from the post war era.
Historically i had Parimova but i am currently using Liberon Fine Wood Stripper (of Some vintage) Axminster have a product on line, are there any other suggestions.
P.S. i mentioned they were post war, of some that i have cleaned some appear to be constructed of mixed woods!
Thank you,
Russell

I missed this one.

Having done a lot of table restoration for the wife, I have had to use paint stripper on most of them. Really dangerous chemical, apart from the smell also burns like hell. :evil:
I just buy what is available locally at the big store.

Mixed woods was a feature of that older furniture, which they then covered with thick brown varnish.
The one table I had to do some staining to get the legs to match the top.
My finish is BLO and then waxing.

Not tried the cling film yet, will give it a go on next stripping job.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 22 Mar 2021, 10:25

Phil wrote:....

I wouldn't. Makes you sweaty as Hell. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 22 Mar 2021, 10:50

RogerS wrote:
Phil wrote:....

I wouldn't. Makes you sweaty as Hell. :lol:

Ha, Ha, Ha ................. :lol: :lol:

The voice of a man with experience! :lol:
(Quite kinky)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Finishing