It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Father’s Day

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Father’s Day

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2018, 00:24

Happy Father’s Day to all you Dad’s out there.

I’ve had a brilliant day to be fair! Started off with being woken up with a cuddle from my daughter, a rendition of Happy Father’s day sung to Happy Birthday then this...

Mug of tea with strawberries & whipped cream and a choc chip cookie, all from my daughter’s hand.

Followed by bacon, bagel, scrambled egg and a strawberry rope sweet all in the shape of “your face daddy”! Haha. The bacon is apparently my monobrow!!!

Not to mention a bottle of Talisker and huge box of Maltesers!!

While the kids then did their homework with Mum I got a few hours tidying up the garden and workshop. The highlight of my day though...my daughter’s end of season football presentation.

She 100% chose to join the team of her own accord, despite have two left feet! She’s a very strong willed young lady and loves doing new things.

She started the season being next to useless, really unable to do anything other than toe bung the ball whenever it came near her.

As the season has progressed she has come on massively, cementing a position in defence as a rock, tackling anyone who comes near her then pushing the ball forward to the ‘strikers’ and really coming into her own.

She badgered me to have private coaching, as her brother does (in goalkeeping) from a friend of mine who is a pro coach, which she has been having for about 6 weeks now, once a week.

Her commitment to playing, despite many of the girls in school mocking her and asking why she wants to play football, is fantastic and today reached it’s apogee thus far.

They have an end of season ceremony where each kid gets a trophy for participating in the team, then they have a couple of additional trophies decided on by the individual management teams.

Tilly’s manager decided to have a Player’s Player, voted for by the kids, and a Manager’s Player for the kid he thought most worthy.

Tilly only went and bagged Manager’s Player for (as the Manager explained) her journey from initial training when she had no clue what she was doing and just ran around like a headless chicken, to commanding a defence and actually telling other players what positions they should be taking up to defend properly.

Now I coach my little lad’s U8’s team and have done for the past 2 years, so I know the script and what’s involved, but I have to admit that my heart nearly exploded when he said her name!

Best Father’s Day ever!!

I’m still buzzing now!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Father’s Day

Postby Rod » 18 Jun 2018, 03:55

Geez Mark, I like the transplant but you’ve eaten far too many maltesers!!
Congratulations to Tilly though

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2018, 07:49

Haha, that’s her coach (for those that think it’s me!!).
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Pinch » 18 Jun 2018, 08:46

Top drawer chap! Top drawer... 8-)

What a treat - loving the bacon. Mrs P has just asked what I would like for my tea tonight.... my answer with no hesitation and 100% tone of pure excitement.... BACON please! :P

Oh yes, a healthy fry up is on it's way this evening just as England kick off. 8-)

Big congrats to Tilly! 8-)

:text-coolphotos:

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Rod » 18 Jun 2018, 09:49

It’s a great shame that Tilly gets mocked at school and that more football isn’t played at girls schools.
The Junior School, one of my granddaughter attends, arranges football at lunch times but with a lack of other schools playing football there’s no inter school matches or proper teams.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2018, 09:56

Congrats to Tilly and totally vindicates all those hours her father spent not building a workshop. :)

No photos of the treats lined up for me. A chocolate and vanilla mousse toolbox was devoured in short order.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2018, 10:31

Andyp wrote:Congrats to Tilly and totally vindicates all those hours her father spent not building a workshop. :)

No photos of the treats lined up for me. A chocolate and vanilla mousse toolbox was devoured in short order.

:text-+1: :text-bravo:

No pics either of my FD treats principally 'cos I didn't get anything :eusa-violin: :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Jun 2018, 12:46

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:Congrats to Tilly and totally vindicates all those hours her father spent not building a workshop. :)

:text-+1: :text-bravo:

No pics either of my FD treats principally 'cos I didn't get anything :eusa-violin: :D - Rob

Congrats Mark, gives a nice feeling when the kids do well.

I also don't get anything, not really into this Fathers/Mothers thing. Just another commercial money making racket.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Jun 2018, 13:01

Lovely story!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Newbie_Neil » 18 Jun 2018, 16:44

Well done Tilly.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2018, 17:33

Phil wrote:I also don't get anything, not really into this Fathers/Mothers thing. Just another commercial money making racket.

Have to agree with you Phil, it is just another commercial racket to try and persuade the gullible to part with their hard earned folding. We don't even do birthday cards to each other and I don't think I've ever bought SWIMBO a birthday present as she hates :twisted: :twisted: surprises with a passion, so best not to go there - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2018, 18:04

I don’t disagree chaps, but the kids wanted to do something as they like doing it for us, for now... :)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 18 Jun 2018, 20:25

Well we as a family celebrate it and Mother’s Day, Birthdays and Christmas too.
I have a fondness fir Toblerone and gin - these were from my daughters and Grandchildren:

In the afternoon we had a family party at my younger daughter’s with the two other fathers.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2018, 20:55

TrimTheKing wrote:I don’t disagree chaps, but the kids wanted to do something as they like doing it for us, for now... :)

Fair play Trim...I like the 'for now' caveat :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Jun 2018, 07:37

Woodbloke wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:I don’t disagree chaps, but the kids wanted to do something as they like doing it for us, for now... :)

Indeed, they’re growing up fast!!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Jun 2018, 07:39

Rod wrote:Well we as a family celebrate it and Mother’s Day, Birthdays and Christmas too.
I have a fondness fir Toblerone and gin - these were from my daughters and Grandchildren:

In the afternoon we had a family party at my younger daughter’s with the two other fathers.

Rod

Very nice Rod. I have a bottle of that Opihr. Distilled just a couple of miles up the road from me in Birchwood I believe. Much of the UK gin (not the base liquor) is distilled out of Warrington I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Rod » 19 Jun 2018, 10:52

Thanks Mark, I’m looking forward to trying it.

I went on a tour of the Bombay Distillery in Laverstoke and their distilled spirit is taken by tanker up there for bottling.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jun 2018, 14:38

TrimTheKing wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Indeed, they’re growing up fast!!

The next time you blink you'll be paying their uni fees :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby selectortone » 19 Jun 2018, 15:48

Woodbloke wrote:The next time you blink you'll be paying their uni fees :D - Rob

Yep! :lol:. and x3 for me. Worth it though.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2018, 15:55

selectortone wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:The next time you blink you'll be paying their uni fees :D - Rob

Isn't that want grandparents are for?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Jun 2018, 16:52

Andyp wrote:
selectortone wrote:

Isn't that want grandparents are for?

Nope!!!! I hope not!

But I'm paying my daughter's corporation tax till she gets back on her feet from a road crash at Christmas.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat