It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:48

seaspiracy

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

seaspiracy

Postby wallace » 06 May 2021, 09:05

Did anyone watch this on netflix, I knew about factory fishing ships and bi catch but did not really understand the impact on our oceans. As creatures we are truly awful things that decimate everything we touch.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: seaspiracy

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 09:08

Trouble is, Wallace, there are simply far too many mouths to feed on this planet.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 06 May 2021, 09:18

wallace wrote:Did anyone watch this on netflix, I knew about factory fishing ships and bi catch but did not really understand the impact on our oceans. As creatures we are truly awful things that decimate everything we touch.

ConspiraSEA was right there, what the hell netflix.

I haven't watch it, but I agree, we are a truely horrible creatures.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 06 May 2021, 11:17

RogerS wrote:Trouble is, Wallace, there are simply far too many mouths to feed on this planet.

Will human beans be around to witness the next millennium? Questionable - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 06 May 2021, 13:21

Haven't watched it and generally can't bring myself to watch things like this. Not head in sand stuff, I'm well read on humans impact and try to keep my own impact low.

The profile and awareness is much greater with programmes like this, then you step out your door and nothing is really changing.

The many mouths to feed comment is interesting when you consider the small number relatively speaking of wealthy Western nations who do most of the damage.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 13:32

MattS wrote:....
The many mouths to feed comment is interesting when you consider the small number relatively speaking of wealthy Western nations who do most of the damage.

I think you'll find that the global environmental impact of China is also quite high! I take your point, though.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 06 May 2021, 13:36

RogerS wrote:I think you'll find that the global environmental impact of China is also quite high! I take your point, though.

From making practically everything for the West.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 13:54

We have to hope that our children are smarter than us. However you look at it we:

Pollute the seas and air
Cause soil degradation with our agricultural methods
Overpopulate the planet
Cannot feed the most overpopulated areas
Are resistant to population control in the name of individual human rights
Focus scarce resources on prolonging natural life spans
Permit less than 1% of the global population to control 99% of wealth and resources
Are detrimental to other species leading to rapid extinctions
Cause global warming, changing both sea levels and planetary axis
Waste enormous quantities of natural resources
Wage pointless wars
Endlessly argue about borders
Adopt a short termist “hope for the best” outlook.

Our inability as a species to see and act on the bigger picture will be the root of our downfall as we all protect our bit of space and lifestyle. Just wish I had a solution. The basis of it would have to be start from a clean sheet of paper and recognise that we are all in this together and our children and grandchildren will suffer if we keep being stupid.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 15:20

Trevanion wrote:
RogerS wrote:I think you'll find that the global environmental impact of China is also quite high! I take your point, though.

But if they din't churn out such cheap **** . Not sure if it's chicken or egg TBH.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 06 May 2021, 15:30

RogerS wrote:
Trevanion wrote:

But if they din't churn out such cheap **** . Not sure if it's chicken or egg TBH.

The reason a lot of Chinese tut is as bad as it is, is that is exactly what we ask them for. Cheapest possible. That's why the manufacture is subcontracted to China. It is not that they aren't capable of better. Just our greed wants everything for nothing.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Woodbloke » 06 May 2021, 15:34

AJB Temple wrote:We have to hope that our children are smarter than us. However you look at it we:

Pollute the seas and air
Cause soil degradation with our agricultural methods
Overpopulate the planet
Cannot feed the most overpopulated areas
Are resistant to population control in the name of individual human rights
Focus scarce resources on prolonging natural life spans
Permit less than 1% of the global population to control 99% of wealth and resources
Are detrimental to other species leading to rapid extinctions
Cause global warming, changing both sea levels and planetary axis
Waste enormous quantities of natural resources
Wage pointless wars
Endlessly argue about borders
Adopt a short termist “hope for the best” outlook.

Our inability as a species to see and act on the bigger picture will be the root of our downfall as we all protect our bit of space and lifestyle. Just wish I had a solution. The basis of it would have to be start from a clean sheet of paper and recognise that we are all in this together and our children and grandchildren will suffer if we keep being stupid.

This is something I've long maintained. Human beans as species look for short term, national gains (however they're defined; borders, military, economic etc) and generally can't see, or fail to do something about the long term picture developing in front of their noses. We act individually for our own self-interest or national interest and rarely if ever, for the good of the planet.
The attitudes of human beans are very unlikely to change as ingrained 'attitudes' (as an RE teacher once said to me) are just about the most difficult thing to change. I was reminded watching the Bond film 'Quantum of Solace' the other evening that future conflicts, as the population of the planet rises exponentially, will be about resources and there's only a finite amount to go round, no matter how smart we become with technology (the 'universal' cure all :eusa-whistle: )
When I was at uni, the bell jar experiment was explained. A bell jar was supplied with adequate air and food to support a indefinite population of house flies. A male and female were introduced and started to breed and breed and breed. All the flies had enough food, enough air and enough water; conditions for a sustained population were perfect inside the bell jar, but after some time all the flies were dead.

Private-Frazer-were-doomed-5642.jpg
(15.76 KiB)

Private Frazer had it in one - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 06 May 2021, 16:15

I didn't see it, but my uncle dived in Falmouth Bay in the late '70s and said that whole areas of it were barren because of the Russian factory ships dumping thousands of tons of fish waste products. Nothing surprises me.
In the '80s twenty foot inshore boats (which did little harm) were being scrapped allegedly to protect fish stocks while at the same time the building of beam trawlers in Spain was being subsidised.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby wallace » 06 May 2021, 17:45

The daft thing is the oceans are the biggest carbon sinks on this little rock, they hold far more than the forests and yet we pillage them. I hate it that nearly every ocean charity is just a money racket. Did you know there is no such thing as dolphin friendly tuna. Companies just buy the logo for there tins.
The biggest irony is all that plastic going into the ocean and then being eaten by small organisms which get eaten by fish and so on, we are top of that plastic pyramid and no one knows the long term affects of plastic within the body. Apparently we consume about a credit cards worth of plastic a week.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 17:49

Sheffield Tony wrote:
RogerS wrote:...

The reason a lot of Chinese tut is as bad as it is, is that is exactly what we ask them for. Cheapest possible. That's why the manufacture is subcontracted to China. It is not that they aren't capable of better. Just our greed wants everything for nothing.

:text-+1:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 17:53

wallace wrote:.... Apparently we consume about a credit cards worth of plastic a week.

If anyone is interested here is the link to the article that Wallace references. The good thing for me is that it will take me 10 weeks to ingest the same amount of plastic that someone connected to the water mains will ingest in a week ! :D

https://qz.com/1644802/you-eat-5-grams- ... -per-week/

But then if you dig a little deeper and look at the actual research report, you will see that the journalist at Quartz needs to go back to school and stop misquoting. His article is tosh.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 18:10

The Dolphin by catch aspect is also being refuted: https://www.intrafish.com/tuna/dolphin- ... 2-1-989370

Of course, there is bound to be an element of "they would say that".
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 18:18

Have you found the original research paper Roger? The link in the article was to this WWF summary http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/pl ... ingles.pdf

but of course they have an agenda. It is pretty clear though that we use excessive amounts of plastic in daily life. Using disposable plastic water bottles for instance is barmy. In fact its pretty barmy buying bottled water in the UK at all.

By catch policy to throw back (dead) what is beyond quota is clearly daft, indeed immoral, and always has been.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 18:19

Just realised that an environmental post has turned me into an old oak. :shock:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2021, 18:36

AJB Temple wrote:Have you found the original research paper Roger? The link in the article was to this WWF summary http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/pl ... ingles.pdf

but of course they have an agenda. It is pretty clear though that we use excessive amounts of plastic in daily life. Using disposable plastic water bottles for instance is barmy. In fact its pretty barmy buying bottled water in the UK at all.

By catch policy to throw back (dead) what is beyond quota is clearly daft, indeed immoral, and always has been.

Yes I did and referenced it in my reply. I emailed the author and suggested he might like to investigate what the words 'might' and 'could' mean.

Bottled water ? Have you tasted Thames Water !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 19:44

Yes, I doubt that is the original source Roger as it is written in PR style. As indeed you suggest really.

Our water comes from Bewl water and then goes through our fridge water filter. Plastic bottles were ditched years ago. I also banned them from our offices in London as the waste was crazy and recycling in the City basically did not happen.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat