It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:13

Rusty Plaster Bead

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Rusty Plaster Bead

Postby Woodster » 08 Dec 2019, 12:03

We were having the bathroom decorated a little while ago and at the last minute I realised I needed to do something about the rusty plaster bead across the window. I chipped out some of the old plaster to expose the bead and treated it with KurRust. Once dry I repaired the edge with filler and rubbed it down when dry. I then gave it another coat of KurRust. I didn’t have time to coat the surface with anything else before the decorator arrived and you guessed it, there are now rust stains coming through.

What to do?

A) Do I repeat the process this time coating with an oil or shellac based primer before the emulsion.

B) leave it alone and just paint with stain block first then emulsion.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-cove ... 1ltr/17114

C) Or chip out the bead and chuck it, rebuilding the edge with filler?

To be honest I always though fitting galvanised mild steel rust traps on plastered edges was a silly idea but this is actually the first time I’ve had this problem. Not too surprising really on a bathroom though.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Rusty Plaster Bead

Postby sammy.se » 12 Dec 2019, 12:49

Hi

That's sounds like a pain... And frustrating.

If you are going down the route of the slightly larger job of taking the rusty bread out, then replace it with plastic plaster bead, and you won't have those problems again.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Rusty Plaster Bead

Postby Woodster » 12 Dec 2019, 13:54

Giving it some thought, getting the old bead out without causing a hell of a mess could be a pain. Putting in a replacement maybe even more so. I’ve decided to rub it down removing as much rusty material as I can and then treat again with Kurust. I’m then going to give it a couple of coats of oil based paint and observe it for a week or two. If there are no further signs of rust I’ll top coat it with emulsion.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat