It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:39

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby RogerS » 17 Jan 2021, 19:14

I cracked up when I read that because of the AR of their data protection regulations, some of the German Länder have no way of identifying those over 80 for their jabs. So they're resorting to basing the selection criteria on Christian names. If you have one like Wolfgang or Heidi then you get the jab. Michael's and Tracey's are fresh out of luck. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Jan 2021, 19:45

RogerS wrote:I cracked up when I read that because of the AR of their data protection regulations, some of the German Länder have no way of identifying those over 80 for their jabs. So they're resorting to basing the selection criteria on Christian names. If you have one like Wolfgang or Heidi then you get the jab. Michael's and Tracey's are fresh out of luck. :lol:

It surprised me a bit......... I always assumed the uk were world leaders in this type of stupidity.
The Germans were the last I would have suspected.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 18 Jan 2021, 18:17

Makes sense as very german sounding first names fell out of favour for anglo based ones due to a certain political system and then a big argument followed by lots of very brash people staying in your house for way too long and feeding you a massive diet of their junk culture for 39 years and then there was a swing back to more traditional names
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby RogerM » 18 Jan 2021, 18:24

droogs wrote:Makes sense as very german sounding first names fell out of favour for anglo based ones due to a certain political system and then a big argument followed by lots of very brash people staying in your house for way too long and feeding you a massive diet of their junk culture for 39 years and then there was a swing back to more traditional names

But why not use their actual ages?! I'm sure there will be many elderly Germans asking the same question as they are given a lower priority than a 25 year old Heidi. Without wishing to get political, I'm so glad we are not part of this nonsense.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 18 Jan 2021, 18:28

I am still worried about the published vaccination rate here.

latest figure updated 17th jan 422,127, figure I gave you last week 388,730 (from the 15th jan). That is an additional 33,397. Are they really only jabbing 16,000 a day?.
I know the UK had a head start but really.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 18 Jan 2021, 18:29

RogerM wrote:
droogs wrote:Makes sense as very german sounding first names fell out of favour for anglo based ones due to a certain political system and then a big argument followed by lots of very brash people staying in your house for way too long and feeding you a massive diet of their junk culture for 39 years and then there was a swing back to more traditional names

But why not use their actual ages?! I'm sure there will be many elderly Germans asking the same question as they are given a lower priority than a 25 year old Heidi. Without wishing to get political, I'm so glad we are not part of this nonsense.

Isn't there an argument to suggest vaccinate the lower age groups as they are the ones who are moving around and therefore spreading most.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerM » 18 Jan 2021, 18:35

Andyp wrote:
RogerM wrote:

Isn't there an argument to suggest vaccinate the lower age groups as they are the ones who are moving around and therefore spreading most.

Andy - I think the argument is that older people are more likely to be admitted to hospital, and to succumb once there. Certainly up until the new UK variant came out, a 70-year-old was 20 times more likely to die of Covid than a 35 year old, and 40 times more likely than a 20-year-old. If all the over 70s are vaccinated they reckon it will cut the death rate by 95%, and free up the NHS for other things.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby sunnybob » 18 Jan 2021, 18:38

My daughter got her jab today. Seems she was given a cancellation slot being front line nursing staff.
She got an email telling her to get to the station asap.
I cannot believe the system is that responsive.

My 78 year old sister was diagnosed with covid 2 weeks ago. Luckily she is not overweight, never smoked, and up till this took regular exercise. She was being cautious, and then a "friend" came round to deliver an xmas present. DOH!
She is now recovering but was very ill for around 6 days, not even eating or drinking anywhere near what she should have.
A tip for anyone unfortunate enough to catch this... sleep on your front. Laying on your back allows the germs to become more entrenched.
Also a blood oxygen monitor is your best friend. When the levels reach low 90's you are in trouble. if it hits 90 or below you need hospitalisation.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jan 2021, 18:46

Agreed Roger. I cant find the article now but I am sure I read that one country in Asia is vaccinating the middle and lower age groups first with reported success.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Jan 2021, 18:49

RogerM wrote:

Data protection in some of their States precludes this.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jan 2021, 18:50

RogerM wrote:
Andyp wrote:
RogerM wrote:

Andy - I think the argument is that older people are more likely to be admitted to hospital, and to succumb once there. Certainly up until the new UK variant came out, a 70-year-old was 20 times more likely to die of Covid than a 35 year old, and 40 times more likely than a 20-year-old. If all the over 70s are vaccinated they reckon it will cut the death rate by 95%, and free up the NHS for other things.

Bang on the money, Roger
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jan 2021, 18:52

sunnybob wrote:...
Also a blood oxygen monitor is your best friend. When the levels reach low 90's you are in trouble. if it hits 90 or below you need hospitalisation.

Yup. Mate of mine is a doctor and suggested I get one as soon as it all kicked off. You do need a decent one though.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MattS » 18 Jan 2021, 19:55

The laying on your front / back as explained by my ITU nurse brother in law is apparently there’s more lung at the back than the front. So if you’re struggling to breath laying on your back squashes a larger surface area. Lay on the front is more efficient.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 18 Jan 2021, 21:07

The issue with vaccinating the young first is that no one seems to know the results yet and opinion suggests that you can still catch and spread it even though the vaccine can stop the worst effects.

Many younger people seem to feel they'e immune already as you do when in that age group, so imagine what it would be like when vaccinated. Not all young people of course.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 18 Jan 2021, 22:04

Indonesia are trying it but appears it may be more for economic reasons than well being of the elderly.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Gill » 18 Jan 2021, 22:33

I've been using the Covid-19 breathing exercises prescribed by this NHS video. It's helped me to halve the medication I need to take for my asthma!

[youtube]bBkGDIeQwXo[/youtube]
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jan 2021, 09:05

Andyp wrote:Isn't there an argument to suggest vaccinate the lower age groups as they are the ones who are moving around and therefore spreading most.

I think the first group that should have been vaccinated are the actual NHS staff who have to deal with Covid patients in hospital. Last I read somewhere there were 55,000 or so NHS staff who were sick with Covid and self-isolating. There's little point as far as I can see of going into hospital with only a skellington staff to look after you - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jan 2021, 09:09

if you like Stats

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

i found the stat that excess deaths in Germany in the 85+ group no worse than the UK was interesting

Of course you can prove anything with statistics.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby sunnybob » 19 Jan 2021, 09:18

There are LIES,
there are DAMN LIES,
and then there are STATISTICS. :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 19 Jan 2021, 10:03

I would qualify that slightly Bob, in that statistics per se are accurate summative calculations, to extract trends from huge data fields. What becomes " a criminological inexactitude" is when a wily politico misuses or selectively interprets these figures.
"Average"...of 99 and 1, or of 51 and 49? Tha same. But, a statistician would qualify each with its " range"; sh1t-shovelling politicos do not.
Every statistic MUST be quoted in context. This is why, for at least 35 years, we have had to teach A level children to quote averages with "confidence limits", a derivitive of which.I am interested to see appearing more frequenyly on the T.V. news. Putting both up together enables you to see the probability that your sample approaches depicting the real world accurately.
Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Cncpaul » 19 Jan 2021, 10:53

In Ireland they are giving the Covid vaccine to the management, senior staff and office wallers before
the front line doctors and nurses......Absolutely Unbelievable
Cncpaul
New Shoots

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 19 Jan 2021, 15:08

Sammy, cant claim that quote to be my own;

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The phrase derives from the full sentence, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."; it was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain and others, who mistakenly attributed it to the British prime minister Benjamin Disraeli.[1] The phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death.[1] The phrase was attributed to an anonymous writer in mid-1891 and later that year to Sir Charles Dilke,[1] but several others have been listed as originators of the quote,[1] including frequent erroneous attribution to Twain himself.[2][1]

My favourite is
"82% of all statistics are made up"

Source;
20 year old Guinness advert
:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 19 Jan 2021, 16:17

Thanks Bob; I was aware of the Twain connection - the man is one of my favourite cynics. :D

I was simply trying to point out any statistic is open to mis-representation. I loathe averages for the reason outlined above, and am incandescent when M.P.'s (heugh, spit) quote "percentages" and their frame of reference is not also made clear. I've caught several taking "an average of percentages"(!!). :o No. Revert to pooled raw data, then take a percentage of combined total. As Mike Tyson would say: "Plicks!".

Sam, a supporter of summed remedials to quantify regression...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2021, 19:20

SWIMBO zoomed into town today to purchase the very last 'Pulse Oximeter' thingie from Boots and apparently these things are the very latest 'must have' Covid accessories. If you're unfortunate enough to catch the disesiel this little jobbie measure your oxygen level in the red stuff; if it falls below 90% (I think) it's time for a 999 call. Fingers crossed, we never have to use it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 21 Jan 2021, 19:43

I bought one at the beginning of the pandemic after being advised by a certain TWH2 member living in the wet and hilly countryside west of me. Just a cheapie off the internet but seems to work well.

I found it strange that I'm surrounded by family "medics" who knew all about them and had used them on patients many times but never thought to suggest we get one ourselves. - Women. :eusa-think:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat