It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:59

Apple Blossom

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Apple Blossom

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2020, 10:07

Our neighbour has two apple trees (unknown varieties) one is decades old and the other just a few years.

It has just occured to us that we has seen absolutely no blossom this year on either and examination shows no set fruit whatsoever.
I'm no gardener but have heard apples can have gluts on alternate years but seems strange to have nothing at all this year.
Anyone heard of this problem?

Bob

I'm on the southcoast if that makes a difference.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Apple Blossom

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jun 2020, 10:25

Could there have been a frost or near icy winds during the blossom time?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2020, 10:31

Malc2098 wrote:Could there have been a frost or near icy winds during the blossom time?

Not sure Malc, sounds pausible.

Usually its the frost and wind that get our magnolia almost as soon as it gets in bloom but not this year when it gave a really good show.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 13 Jun 2020, 11:15

Bob, we have 6 different apple varieties in the garden, and 3 pear. They blossom and set fruit at different times. As Malc said a hard frost can have quite an affect on the amount of fruits and sometimes one or two trees will have barely any fruit but never all together.
Apart from the Bramley, which we planted ourselves, I have no idea what the other apples are. The pears are a little easier to identify. I only realised when we moved here that pears do not ripen on the tree. They have to be picked while still hard then allowed to soften up.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2020, 11:41

Andyp wrote:Bob, we have 6 different apple varieties in the garden, and 3 pear. They blossom and set fruit at different times. As Malc said a hard frost can have quite an affect on the amount of fruits and sometimes one or two trees will have barely any fruit but never all together.
Apart from the Bramley, which we planted ourselves, I have no idea what the other apples are. The pears are a little easier to identify. I only realised when we moved here that pears do not ripen on the tree. They have to be picked while still hard then allowed to soften up.

I've never really taken any interest in the neighbours trees but last year, the younger one was heavily laden and one bough bent over the fench towards us an we were able to pick and eat the fruit. They were really nice and after harvesting the bough did not straighten. This year we planned to try and thin out the fruit after setting to encourage them to grow bigger. That plan has been thwarted as there is not a single fruit forming and thinking back we can't recall seeing any blossom - usually quite striking.
Then we realised their other mature tree possibly did not blossom either hence my question if there was a known problem this year.
I will continue to buy my apples from Aldi and try and pay more attention next year.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jun 2020, 11:57

Another cause could be whether the trees are diploid or triploid, that is they require another on or another two types of apple pollen to pollenate your trees. So if something happened to the other pollinators, then that could have an effect of your trees.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2020, 12:16

Malc2098 wrote:Another cause could be whether the trees are diploid or triploid, that is they require another on or another two types of apple pollen to pollenate your trees. So if something happened to the other pollinators, then that could have an effect of your trees.

But wouldn’t the tree still produce blossom to try and get it pollinated in that case?
Not aware of any material change in nearby gardens since last year when it was loaded with fruit.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 13 Jun 2020, 12:21

There was a very late frost this year across the whole of the country. One vineyard somewhere in the South lost their entire 'crop' because of this. They were driving up and down between the vines throughout the night trying to prevent the air from settling (ie conducive to frost) but to little avail.

So that's what I reckon it is.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jun 2020, 12:30

RogerS wrote:There was a very late frost this year across the whole of the country. One vineyard somewhere in the South lost their entire 'crop' because of this. They were driving up and down between the vines throughout the night trying to prevent the air from settling (ie conducive to frost) but to little avail.

So that's what I reckon it is.

Sounds likely then Roger and if the timing was right, the blossom might never have got going.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat