It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:34

Bookbinders.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Bookbinders.

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Dec 2020, 09:33

Andyp wrote:
Your family Rob?

Yep, the very same. My daughter did some digging into the family firm a while back and she found the site of the original office in Cambridge with a large, but very faded Edwardian poster on the wall outside. We eventually traced the new current owners (who kept the name) and took some pics of the 'shop; I believe the press in use dated from the original premises - Rob

StoakleyBookbindersCambridgeEngland2.jpg
(234.4 KiB)

InsideStoakleyBookbindingCambridge.jpg
(420.25 KiB)
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 31 Dec 2020, 11:45

AJB Temple wrote:...I collect cookery books....

How many constitutes a collection AJB? I've just counted mine and have rather shockingly found I have over 300.

But I don't collect them.

What's also interesting is that, looking at the spines, some are very much more used than others. Hopkinson, Thompson (thai), Nilsson, Bumichitr, Moro - all used frequently. Whereas I don't think I have ever cooked anything from the Nobu cookbook for example. And, in fact, although I read from them frequently, I seldom cook any Elizabeth David recipies, a large number of which just don't work without adjustment. Heresy I know...
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 31 Dec 2020, 12:14

Mike, I can get the details of the book binders we used to repair a book that was losing it's cover, Oxford based if any other option dont work out.
Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Andyp » 31 Dec 2020, 13:15

Mike G wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:I think I may have the same book Mike. (I collect cookery books, but this was a fairly early one and was second hand when I got it). Anyway, maybe the best thing is to place the old book in the memory box and buy a replacement on-line. Most of the Good Housekeeping books can still be found, generally in very good condition.

It's not that, Adrian. You can open our book at a chocolate cake recipe, and the page is infused with chocolate. You can open it at a banana loaf recipe, and there is enough mix on the page to make a small loaf. Our kids learnt to cook with us from that book, and when they come home, they love opening it and having another go for old times sake. And when they're away (they live abroad), they're sort-of with us again every time we pull the book off the shelf.

As well as all of that our go to book (Mrs Beetons) is full of handwritten tweaks to the original recipes.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 31 Dec 2020, 14:01

Well, I don't actively collect them. As such. It's just that I can't resist hunting for old classics and getting all the new ones from chef's I like. I am estimating 650. :oops:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Dec 2020, 14:29

Stargazer wrote:Mike, I can get the details of the book binders we used to repair a book that was losing it's cover, Oxford based if any other option dont work out.
Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll come back to you if I don't get any joy from the more local ones. I'll certainly be talking to Rob's old family firm, amongst others.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby chataigner » 31 Dec 2020, 15:00

Mike G wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:I think I may have the same book Mike. (I collect cookery books, but this was a fairly early one and was second hand when I got it). Anyway, maybe the best thing is to place the old book in the memory box and buy a replacement on-line. Most of the Good Housekeeping books can still be found, generally in very good condition.

It's not that, Adrian. You can open our book at a chocolate cake recipe, and the page is infused with chocolate. You can open it at a banana loaf recipe, and there is enough mix on the page to make a small loaf. Our kids learnt to cook with us from that book, and when they come home, they love opening it and having another go for old times sake. And when they're away (they live abroad), they're sort-of with us again every time we pull the book off the shelf.

Besides, any well used family cookbook will probably have notes on many pages based on years of accumulated experience - invaluable !
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Gill » 31 Dec 2020, 15:21

I've got the 1992 edition of that book and I can understand why it's such a treasured heirloom. It's my 'go to' cook book, alongside the Blessed Delia's Complete Cookery Course. Incidentally, the Good Housekeeping Complete Book Of Preserving is worth digging out if you like something a bit more sophisticated than a jar of Branston pickle.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Jan 2021, 09:31

Mike G wrote:
Thanks Ian. I'll come back to you if I don't get any joy from the more local ones. I'll certainly be talking to Rob's old family firm, amongst others.

I had a couple of old Victorian books, beautifully printed and bound by our old firm, one being 'The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World' first published in 1851; somewhere inside on a flyleaf it mentions who the printers were. My daughter (who loves to turn a page) had long coveted this book and had constantly nagged me to let her have it. It now resides in Carlisle on one of her many groaning bookshelves - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 20 Jan 2021, 22:14

Watching The Repair Shop tonight, there was a bookbinder who was restoring the binding on a couple of volumes of press cuttings from Scott's Expedition, this reminded me that my wife gave me the details of the very helpful bookbinders we used.

https://templebookbinders.co.uk
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby billw » 20 Jan 2021, 23:42

novocaine wrote:My thesis has pride of place, in a box, under the bed.

There is another copy in the conference room at my employers.

We submitted electronically as most university do now.

Yup my uni does online submission, no printed version necessary. I wonder what percentage of printed theses have never been opened?
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jan 2021, 16:33

You done any more on this Mike?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 22 Jan 2021, 17:40

I got a price of £85. Whilst steep for a book you can buy for £30 ish, I'm still mulling it over.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jan 2021, 17:56

Mike G wrote:I got a price of £85. Whilst steep for a book you can buy for £30 ish, I'm still mulling it over.

Book of memories though...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat