It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Plumbing help!!!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Plumbing help!!!

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 13:23

So here’s what we have when I pulled the old pipe out. I pushed the new pipe in, right fit but okay, but when I pulled it out the rubber has gone inside. Trying to fish that out now to see whether it can go over the pipe then push back in...

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 13:30

You need to unscrew the outer ring mark. It isnt push fit . It looks like you'll be able to undo it which will help you pull the rubber out. Put cap, slip washer, rubber over new pipe and refit.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 17 Jan 2021, 14:12

Tile cement varies Mark. I've used a hand wire brush, an old chisel, carbide tile file, on stuff that powdered and flaked off easily. I've also had stuff that (amazingly) came off after a soak in water for two days. It depends on what brand it was.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby jimmy s » 17 Jan 2021, 14:20

You are going to need to get the tile off and probably cut a bigger hole in what looks like 3/4 ply to get to the back nut on the fitting, as Novocaine says its going to have to come off.

Do you have a multitool? - would be handy.

I think the tile cement varies - if its the pre-mixed tubs it might come off if you soak it but I'd think if its the powder then it sets pretty hard and probably wont come off by soaking.

In that situation I'd just scrape the worst of it off and stick it back or if its not playing then run the angle grinder over it.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby RogerS » 17 Jan 2021, 15:05

jimmy s wrote:You are going to need to get the tile off and probably cut a bigger hole in what looks like 3/4 ply to get to the back nut on the fitting, as Novocaine says its going to have to come off.

Do you have a multitool? - would be handy.

I think the tile cement varies - if its the pre-mixed tubs it might come off if you soak it but I'd think if its the powder then it sets pretty hard and probably wont come off by soaking.

In that situation I'd just scrape the worst of it off and stick it back or if its not playing then run the angle grinder over it.

Or a bench sander ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 17 Jan 2021, 15:09

Even normal "waterproof" adhesive will come off if its submersed for a few days and it's almost certain in your situation it will be just standard adhesive. I put them into a container where they can be fully submerged pour in hot water and some washing up liquid and let it sit overnight, scrape off as much as you can and if necessary soak it again. The water gets behind the adhesive and breaks the bond though in many cases the adhesive just goes soft.

The ones I took off from behind the WC are similar to yours, I put one of them back as an access panel fixed with mirror screws, still grouted the joints as it just comes out when you remove the tile.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Plumbing help!!!

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 15:18

Luckily my lovely lady wife bought me a new multi tool for Christmas after my old Bosch green one breathed its last during lockdown 1.

Carbide grout tool around the grout lines then wood blade through the ply and we’re out without any damage!

Managed to get the McAlpine out and recovered the rubber gasket. Just ordered another McAlpine and a new trap from Toolstation and waiting for my text to collect and I can hopefully get the wrapped up before the match at 4:30...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 17 Jan 2021, 16:05

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-dance:

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 16:19

I think id be tempted to make that in to a hatch when reinstalling. A couple of lips glued to the hole and a pair of button fasteners. Fake a grout line if you so desire.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 16:22

novocaine wrote:I think id be tempted to make that in to a hatch when reinstalling. A couple of lips glued to the hole and a pair of button fasteners. Fake a grout line if you so desire.

Exactly what I’m doing. Bought some mirror screws while at toolstation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 17 Jan 2021, 16:54

I'd also stuff some rat poison down in the cavity. That's what I'm doing here. They just love nibbling pipe insulation.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 19:37

Pipe cut to length and new trap fit and tested. We’re all good.

I bought the only mirror screws I could get but they are not as long as I’d like so going to order some longer ones now before putting back in place.

Need to think about how I’ll actually get the backing ply back in there given there’s nothing to screw it to now, and how do I get something fixed in there to screw it to...

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby jimmy s » 17 Jan 2021, 20:00

Ideally you would have left a bit of ply but with any luck you will be able to get the ply back where it came from.

how much space have you got between the back of the 3/4 ply and that 2x2 in the picture?
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 20:01

Screw a batten between the uprights. Or glue a few standoff blocks to the wall behind.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby jimmy s » 17 Jan 2021, 20:05

Also, is that a bit of MFC that the 2x2 is fixed to?

If it is a bit of MFC can you not just screw a bit of 2x2 to the MFC at the RHS and then pack out to suit the bit of 3/4 ply you cut out?
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby jimmy s » 17 Jan 2021, 20:06

Described better by Dave than me!
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 20:14

Yer sorry Jim. What i meant to say was obviously "what ee said".
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby jimmy s » 17 Jan 2021, 21:53

Mark,

Just in case you haven't seen it before, it would be worthwhile googling "how to fix a hole in plasterboard" - you should find a video or similar showing how to get around this sort of problem using a bit of scrap timber and a driver bit in a cordless drill.

If you could have got the tile off and cut a hole leaving a margin of timber to use for fixing through you could have used this method, its very handy for this sort of thing.

Jimmy
jimmy s
New Shoots

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 22:11

Cheers Jimmy. Yeah I’ve done that before so know the technique, as you’ve seen my challenge here is I’ve very little to work with around the edges.

I’ll work something out tomorrow, probably using some epoxied blocks against the back board as suggested.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 22:55

Construction adhesive. Marvellous stuff.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jan 2021, 23:04

That means leaving the house again though!

Actually I might have some no more nails from when I did the downstairs skirting...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 23:07

Im rather partial to silicone as well. Takes a bit longer to set off but sticks like the brown stuff to a shovel.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby sunnybob » 18 Jan 2021, 07:51

I might be a bit late with this tip, but if you want to re use a tile and remove the old grout, plasterboard, whatever, get a few of these
https://www.amazon.com/Grinding-Flapper ... =256175011

Use a mask and do it well away from the house because the white dust cloud is awesome, but you can grind away all of the old cement and the tile will be like the day it was first bought, without any fear of cracking the tile. 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jan 2021, 11:23

Thanks Bob

My concern is more separating the tile from the backer without damaging the tile, but I think I'm going to just screw it back into place still on the ply, for safety's sake.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 18 Jan 2021, 11:28

while your gluing stuff to stuff, glue a batten to the back of the board that's still in the wall (guess you can only do it on 2 of the 3 available sides), that will hold it all in alignment for you so you don't need to be perfect on the anchoring blocks.
novocaine
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat