It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:35

Spoon carving for the digital age

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Spoon carving for the digital age

Postby AndyT » 17 Jan 2021, 20:14

At last, the methods used by the cleverest digital artisans are revealed for us all to enjoy, thanks to the irrepressible Uri Tuchman!

Highly recommended to all geeks, nerds and spoon enthusiasts! ;)

[youtube]PdkBX2p354U[/youtube]
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Re: Spoon carving for the digital age

Postby Trevanion » 17 Jan 2021, 20:22

I'm a big fan of Uri Tuchman. I saw it earlier, it's excellent! :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2021, 23:10

I've just started to do a bit of spoon carving and it's a lot harder than it looks! I've tried carving in green limewood with Robin Wood knives and have had only moderate, fairly 'lumpy' success. I've had better results with dry timber (London Plane and Walnut) using carving gouges etc - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 17 Jan 2021, 23:12

Woodbloke wrote:I've just started to do a bit of spoon carving and it's a lot harder than it looks! I've tried carving in green limewood with Robin Wood knives and have had only moderate, fairly 'lumpy' success. I've had better results with dry timber (London Plane and Walnut) using carving gouges etc - Rob

Keep going with green wood it takes a good few spoons to get good, I still have a few more to go!

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2021, 23:16

Pete Maddex wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:I've just started to do a bit of spoon carving and it's a lot harder than it looks! I've tried carving in green limewood with Robin Wood knives and have had only moderate, fairly 'lumpy' success. I've had better results with dry timber (London Plane and Walnut) using carving gouges etc - Rob

Keep going with green wood it takes a good few spoons to get good, I still have a few more to go!

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will. I've got a few green blanks of lime wrapped up in clingfilm under a tarp at the bottom of the garden so I'll have another go later on...but it's still not easy! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 17 Jan 2021, 23:33

I've a bit of a suspension that Rob might not have watched this particular video yet...
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2021, 23:47

Well that was....... Yep........ It was.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Nelsun » 18 Jan 2021, 00:54

novocaine wrote:Well that was....... Yep........ It was.
Summed it up, beautifully.

I've never tried green wood and always thought it was meant to be easier than using seasoned wood and assorted whackables. Is it not and why?
Nelsun
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jan 2021, 11:59

AndyT wrote:I've a bit of a suspension that Rob might not have watched this particular video yet...

Gave it a swift viewing Andy. Clever t'is :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jan 2021, 12:02

Nelsun wrote:I've never tried green wood and always thought it was meant to be easier than using seasoned wood and assorted whackables. Is it not and why?

Dunno, I thought it would be easy and I really can't put my finger on why it's so bloody difficult :lol:

AndyT wrote:I've a bit of a suspension that Rob might not have watched this particular video yet...

Gave it a swift viewing Andy. Clever t'is - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 18 Jan 2021, 20:22

Woodbloke wrote:Dunno, I thought it would be easy and I really can't put my finger on why it's so bloody difficult :lol:

Do you think because it’s wood you expected your skill levels to match the many years practice you’ve had with dried wood and tools?

It’s definitely a different set of skills using knives to chisels and other tools with dried wood, I love working with knives and green wood though. Another thing, I like the finish when you see knife marks and leave it like that but I’ve seen from pros it is possible to get an almost perfectly smooth finish from the knife. That’s definitely beyond me!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat