It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:51

Have I got mobile deal of the century

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Have I got mobile deal of the century

Postby Steve Maskery » 19 Jan 2021, 13:15

I'm considering ditching my broadband. I'm with Virgin, and while the service is good, it is very, very expensive and they are putting the price up again.

I have EE mobile and have never had any problems, so I've been wondering about getting and all-you-can-eat data package and using my phone as my internet connection. I went online to see what plan I have and I was a bit miffed. The EE site doesn't work very well, but it tells me I get 3Gb data a month for £19.40/m. That's rubbish. And apparently I started a new contract in November. I have no recollection of that, I thought the last time I changed things was much longer ago.

So I rang up.

Tom was very helpful. Apparently they are having issues with their site. Well it's been like that for at least a couple of years to my knowledge. But what it didn't tell me was that I am getting some free addons and a fairly substantial discount. Like £21 discount. Yup, £21 discount off a £19 package. So I've not actually paid a penny since Nov 10th and they currently owe me £7-something. And that continues until November.

I wish I'd yaken out a 2-year plan :)

I think someone, somewhere, has made a mistake.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Have I got mobile deal of the century

Postby droogs » 19 Jan 2021, 13:31

We have BT and our contract gives us the landline, broadband and both mine and swmbo's mobile with unlimited calls texts and data all for a total of 45 per month and have had this deal for 4 years and it just keeps renewing so dont bother fiddling with it just in case it stops. We got the deal when she complained about our bt tv box thing not working.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Steve Maskery » 19 Jan 2021, 13:41

I shall never be a BT customer again as long as I live. If they are the last provider on the planet, I'd rather go off grid. Really.

S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 Jan 2021, 13:54

I've no mobile, therefore no deal, and no fees. However, even that doesn't beat Steve's paid-to-be-a-user deal. I'd check your contract really carefully, Steve, in case they try to claw back fees covering this period.

Oh, and BT? Where we used to live unless you were with BT you couldn't get a landline and internet service at all. So everyone was with BT, and we still are.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 19 Jan 2021, 14:56

Read any contract carefully as mobile data contracts often limit the amount of data that can be used by attached devices on a portable hotspot. Having said that I am paying a lot of money for a landline and broadband and can get a max of 7Mbps. On my phone I can get over 20Mbps. i am seriously considering just going for a phone data contract for the broadband.

As the kids have left and we do not watch TV via the internet our data requirements are relatively low but it would be nice to have a faster response especially for uploads which is currently about 0.75Mbps. I could even use the cloud as a backup then

I did investigate FTTC which is now available locally but the max speed the calculator says I will get a slower connection than I get now and I will be paying more. No idea why as the fibre cabinet is at least a mile closer to me than the copper cabinet.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Robert » 19 Jan 2021, 15:02

Steve Maskery wrote:I'm considering ditching my broadband. I'm with Virgin, and while the service is good, it is very, very expensive and they are putting the price up again.

Always worth a call to retentions to see what they can offer. normal sales can't offer the same deals.

Virgin kind of hide retentions when you call. not called them for some time but it was hidden under the option for moving house then thinking of leaving. You can usually get close to what they offer to new customers. I did read somewhere recently that it is hard to get through now with covid reducing staff.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 19 Jan 2021, 15:45

Robert wrote:....
Virgin kind of hide retentions when you call. not called them for some time but it was hidden under the option for moving house then thinking of leaving. You can usually get close to what they offer to new customers. I did read somewhere recently that it is hard to get through now with covid reducing staff.

Same applies to home insurance. We're with Lloyds Bank Home Insurance. It is a very good policy but each year they hike it up. This year by £100...25% increase. I went on GoCompare and got quotes £2000 :o Thank God the email address I gave them was one that I can easily filter and automatically delete.

So decided to see what LBHI could do and tried ringing. Many of their agents are either ill with Covid or working from home. Warned of a 20 minute minimum wait. Took the callback option. That worked. Chided gently the lady at the other end for the 25% hike...and going up each year..yadda.yadda. She said "That's where I come in as I can offer you a discount". Got a £50 reduction. Result. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 19 Jan 2021, 15:55

*Baffled by high price plans*

I pay £10 /month for 12GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls from Plusnet.

ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 19 Jan 2021, 16:23

Re using phone as your only internet connection.
A friend did that and it worked really well, till the phone took a tumble into the loo and died. No phone or internet - now what ?
It's a good low cost option but it does leave you very vulnerable to kit failure.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby flying haggis » 19 Jan 2021, 16:35

buy a cheap phone and keep that one tied to the computer then no danger of it falling down the loo(who takes the phone to the loo with them anyway??)
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jan 2021, 17:35

We're also with Virgin and SWIMBO was getting a bit hacked off with them, so she dialled 150 and had a natter. Within ten minutes she'd negotiated a reasonable monthly price reduction as they obviously don't want to loose customers. Probably going to cost me a bottle of vino tonight :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby billw » 19 Jan 2021, 20:33

I have two lines with Three, my mobile run runs off a 10Gd package with unlimited calls and texts for £13 a month and my home broadband runs off another SIM that’s unlimited data for £22 a month.

Amusingly the mobile internet connection is 30x faster than the landline could deliver.
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby chataigner » 19 Jan 2021, 20:50

billw wrote:I have two lines with Three, my mobile run runs off a 10Gd package with unlimited calls and texts for £13 a month and my home broadband runs off another SIM that’s unlimited data for £22 a month.

Amusingly the mobile internet connection is 30x faster than the landline could deliver.

I have something similar in France, a phone with unlimited calls + mobile 4G internet (20Gb/m) when I need it (not very often) for 9€/m. At my house I have a fixed box that connects to 4G mobile for the computer etc, the deal gives me 200Gb/m for 25€/m - even with lots of activity with on-line photo clubs + netflix, I never get anywhere near the 200Gb limit.
Download speed is around 40-50Mb/sec.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby RogerS » 19 Jan 2021, 22:47

billw wrote:I have two lines with Three, my mobile run runs off a 10Gd package with unlimited calls and texts for £13 a month and my home broadband runs off another SIM that’s unlimited data for £22 a month.

I tried to use my Three phone tonight. It said 'You are not connected to the network'. Thought I might give your idea a go. :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby billw » 19 Jan 2021, 23:11

RogerS wrote:
I tried to use my Three phone tonight. It said 'You are not connected to the network'. Thought I might give your idea a go. :(

Ah I got the home broadband box because I knew they were upgrading the network near my house, so I waited for them to confirm it was done before signing up. It's certainly very good though, there's none of that "it's slow because everyone's using the internet" malarky. I mainly use it to watch TV and it buffers maybe once or twice a week but otherwise it's streaming in HD perfectly well.

It's Huawei kit so I suspect the CCP already know my bank details.
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby droogs » 19 Jan 2021, 23:20

Don't worry bill the CCP will only use it to recommend shiny things on banggood to you tht they know you can afford
:lol:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat