It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:02

Don't you just hate it when...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Don't you just hate it when...

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Jan 2021, 20:27

You do somebody a favour and scrape you car door in the process? A few hundred quid to put right, I guess. I'll probably just leave it :(
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Don't you just hate it when...

Postby Lurker » 21 Jan 2021, 20:39

Well............ I never mentioned it before but, if you cast your mind back to “the day of the pencils” I got nicked by a speed camera on the way home and subsequently spent a joyful afternoon doing a speed awareness course.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Jan 2021, 20:51

Last summer I re-roofed a friends dormer.......two full days........and the payment I demanded was that they provide me lunch. No probs. Finished the job, packed everything up, and was just heading off when they said "do you want this old wood" stacked in the loft of their garage since they'd bought the house. It was nothing special, just some old construction pine. I hopped on a horse to take a look, and knocked one of the pieces off its perch. It crashed down straight through the windscreen of their car.

So fixing their roof cost me their insurance excess.......£75. I feel your pain, Steve.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby billw » 21 Jan 2021, 21:06

Mike G wrote:Last summer I re-roofed a friends dormer.......two full days........and the payment I demanded was that they provide me lunch. No probs. Finished the job, packed everything up, and was just heading off when they said "do you want this old wood" stacked in the loft of their garage since they'd bought the house. It was nothing special, just some old construction pine. I hopped on a horse to take a look, and knocked one of the pieces off its perch. It crashed down straight through the windscreen of their car.

So fixing their roof cost me their insurance excess.......£75. I feel your pain, Steve.

Was the horse OK? :lol:
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby jimmy s » 21 Jan 2021, 21:10

Could you re-spray it yourself steve?

Most of the work is in the prep.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Jan 2021, 21:17

My friend SHeila has a neighbour with learning difficults. Not serious ones, but she is not coping so well since her partner dies. The other morning she arrived at Sheila's door asking to use the phone, said she was coughing up blood and wanted to see a doctor. She was wearing a nightie and a blanket. In January. And she's not next door, she's in the next street.

She lives in the worst housing I've seen in this country and is always cold. So Sheila asked me if I could put a post on FB asking for a coat. I got a really good response and I have two coats, some jumbers and another couple of bags of stuff I've not looked at.

For one pickup, I followed Sybil the Satnav. There is a crossroads that has been very tightly chicaned with bollards and a curb that is more light a low wall, in order to slow traffic. It's tight. It's very tight.

I tried to turn left... I now have a crease all along my rear passenger door. The really annoying thing is that I thought I new where this place was and would have gone a different way. It turns out that that would have been shorter, quicker and, obviously, less risky.

I can't afford unnecessary repairs, so it will have to stay like that. It's only a car, but... :cry:
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 22 Jan 2021, 09:06

I ripped some timber for some one and they loaded it into ther big Audi 4x4 pressed the button to close the tail gate and it punched it theough the satnav screen, it cost him £600!

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Jan 2021, 09:34

Hee-hee! None of it is funny (except Lurker's, of course) but at least I know it's not just me. Thanks, guys.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 22 Jan 2021, 09:38

had a hire car for work, a big stupid ford something or other. on way home stopped at B&Q to get coving, because 3m in to our car doesn't really go but it would in this thing. or so I thought
so loaded from the boot, through and on to the dashboard above the passenger seat.
boot just closes, yey thinks I and jumps in car...............

coving tight against windscreen with a lovely crack emanating out from it across the entire screen.

:(
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dr.Al » 22 Jan 2021, 10:07

My next door neighbour wanted to get some 2.4 metre lengths of something or other from Travis Perkins. He rang them to check they had them in stock, then drove out to the store. When he got there, they told him they only had the 3 metre lengths so he paid for those (even though they were more expensive) as he needed the wood fairly urgently. Went out to the yard to collect it and discovered on talking to the people out there that they had the 2.4 metre lengths as well: the computer system was clearly wrong.

He couldn't be bothered to go back into the shop and change his order as it was very busy on the site at the time so he just loaded up the 3 metre lengths with them up against the windscreen and sticking out the back of his boot with the boot tied down with rope.

He then drove home and reversed onto his driveway, right up to the wall as he usually would, resulting in the lengths of wood being driven out through the windscreen.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby RogerM » 22 Jan 2021, 11:35

:eusa-doh:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby flying haggis » 24 Jan 2021, 16:33

when I worked for a builders merchants, we watched a customer load a 4m worktop on the his little trailer(the sort of trailer that would struggle with anything heavier than 100kg)with about 1-1.5m in the back of the car through the boot with the seats folded forward and the rest on the trailer and hanging off the back!!!!
he tied it down to the trailer and left the yard. we all wondered just how far he got before it ripped the rope of the trailer and/or the lashings and fell off. how he expected to turn corners we didnt know either. being the ever so helpful staff that we were we just kept out the way!
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby clogs » 24 Jan 2021, 17:35

when her indoors goes to Ikea....
I grab a coffee and watch people load up their cars with what they have bought....
even seen them cry as they cant get it all in....hahaha....cruel I know.....
think somebody should do a man and van hire in the car park.....
as for breaking ur back window....been there done that.....hahaha..
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 24 Jan 2021, 17:56

Staff canteen at warrington IKEA overlooked the carpark (till they removed it and made it part of the resturant). It had mirrored glass so staff could see put but people couldn't see in. It was a favourite sport of staff to watch people try and fail. The best i saw was a Porsche and a wardrobe. More mature now than i was then, but i think I'd still laugh.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby flying haggis » 24 Jan 2021, 18:32

went to ikea one time to get a load of wardrobes and other stuff. dead easy to load in to the back of the 18T box van I has borrowed from work!!! :D the looks on the faces of other customers as I just slid the boxes in the back was priceless. was even asked by a customer if I could deliver his stuff for him as he couldnt get his purchases into his fiesta.
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Gary » 25 Jan 2021, 14:22

flying haggis wrote:when I worked for a builders merchants, we watched a customer load a 4m worktop on the his little trailer(the sort of trailer that would struggle with anything heavier than 100kg)with about 1-1.5m in the back of the car through the boot with the seats folded forward and the rest on the trailer and hanging off the back!!!!
he tied it down to the trailer and left the yard. we all wondered just how far he got before it ripped the rope of the trailer and/or the lashings and fell off. how he expected to turn corners we didnt know either. being the ever so helpful staff that we were we just kept out the way!

I was in one of my local timber yard patiently waiting my turn when a guy in a Ford Focus hatchback back into the shed to get something he was short of from his last order. 8x4 osb sheets, no trailer or roofbars, simply placed of the roof tied on and off he went.
Gary
Seedling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat