It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:23

Bad hair day...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Bad hair day...

Postby RogerS » 21 Apr 2021, 16:55

While watching a Chris Pye video, this one caught my eye.

Full marks to him for 'fessing up.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Bad hair day...

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Jun 2021, 10:20

Wow, my backside was twitching just watching it. Can't imagine how scary it is to lose visibility like that when piloting, then to have that alarm go off! :shock:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Chippyjoe » 28 Jun 2021, 21:16

Wowzer, first job change his underpants. :shock:
Chippyjoe
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Jun 2021, 22:08

I'd have expected a pitot tube heater to be automatic when temperature gets near freezing point?
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerM » 29 Jun 2021, 14:32

9fingers wrote:I'd have expected a pitot tube heater to be automatic when temperature gets near freezing point?
Bob

As I recall, the current draw on the pitot heater is very significant, and its use is as much dependent on humidity as temperature. Most of the time, even in sub zero temperatures, pitot icing is not a problem provided that the air is dry. The main problem is in cloud in temperatures just below freezing when supercooled water droplets can freeze to the pitot tube on impact. For most of the time pitot heat is not required and especially on a light aircraft a permanent current draw would be unacceptable. It is often the highest single consumer of current on the aircraft. You always switch them off immediately after landing as at low airspeeds they get extremely hot and would melt the pitot cover that is put on the aircraft when it is parked.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby 9fingers » 29 Jun 2021, 14:36

RogerM wrote:
9fingers wrote:I'd have expected a pitot tube heater to be automatic when temperature gets near freezing point?
Bob

As I recall, the current draw on the pitot heater is very significant, and its use is as much dependent on humidity as temperature. Most of the time, even in sub zero temperatures, pitot icing is not a problem provided that the air is dry. The main problem is in cloud in temperatures just below freezing when supercooled water droplets can freeze to the pitot tube on impact. For most of the time pitot heat is not required and especially on a light aircraft a permanent current draw would be unacceptable. It is often the highest single consumer of current on the aircraft. You always switch them off immediately after landing as at low airspeeds they get extremely hot and would melt the pitot cover that is put on the aircraft when it is parked.

Ah that explains it. Not being an aviator, I'd assumed incorrectly that these things were simple!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 29 Jun 2021, 15:00

9fingers wrote:
RogerM wrote:
Bob

Ah that explains it. Not being an aviator, I'd assumed incorrectly that these things were simple!

Bob

Nothing in flying is ever 'simple', Bob. :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 30 Jun 2021, 06:11

RogerS wrote:Nothing in flying is ever 'simple', Bob. :D

It seems to me that even the simple things aren't simple, even things which you might assume anybody could do. Any dreams I may have had of flying a plane disappeared when I realised I cannot even listen to the radio.

18 Months ago I worked with a French guy who had his own small plane. He was preparing for some test that he has to take periodically to retain his pilot licence. In part this involved listening to and interpreting air traffic control radio calls. He played me some samples of these, which were of course in English as all ATC comms are. I could not make out what was being said so how he, as a non-native speaker of the language, derived meaning from a cacophony of squelch and squeal truly baffled me.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Jun 2021, 09:05

Just4fun wrote:
RogerS wrote:Nothing in flying is ever 'simple', Bob. :D

It seems to me that even the simple things aren't simple, even things which you might assume anybody could do. Any dreams I may have had of flying a plane disappeared when I realised I cannot even listen to the radio.

Fly a glider. No radio needed. Proper flying.....none of this 'driving' in 3 dimensions :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat