It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:53

Sock it to me!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Sock it to me!

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 16:33

You lot should be expert on this.

Generally I wear steel toe capped site boots for woodwork and home building work and mowing. I'm going through socks - literally, the heels wear through - in no time.

Had a look on Amazon (prefer not to use, but lots of choice) and there are sockies for work boots with tough heels and toes, but half the reviews are 5 star, and the other half a 1 star saying the 5 star ones are fake.

Any recommendations? When I was working in an office, socks would last ages.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Sock it to me!

Postby MattS » 28 Apr 2021, 16:53

I pretty much live in my steels all weekend and have different socks for when in my boots. No specific recommendations, usually just get whatever Aldi have in the middle aisle. JCB ones went baggy around the ankle and were rubbish. Dickies ones have lasted OK.

They're a thicker sock compared to normal socks as well so a bit of extra comfort.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 16:57

I thought Dickies had gone bust?

Need them to be long enough to go over jeans / track suit bottoms, to keep the wood shavings etc off my legs and stop the sockies working in a toe direction. (I am allergic to wood tar :D - it's a nuisance but has never stopped me).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 28 Apr 2021, 17:07

The main cause of excessive sock wear is badly fitted boots.
If youre a half size, two pairs of socks will solve the problem, even if you do get sweaty feet from them.
Get yourself to a Clarks for a perfect fitting (or an online guide).
Width is almost as important as length.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 28 Apr 2021, 17:08

Hadn't heard that but looked it up and you appear to be correct, that's sad Dickies have been around for ever and I own quite a bit of their stuff.

I don't wear socks that long so nothing I suggested would be suitable :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 17:16

sunnybob wrote:
Width is almost as important as length.

I might expect that on a wood forum. :o
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 17:22

It seems work boots are very destructive of socks. I am size 11 hoofs which is an awkward sockie size. Can't justify a boot fitting to save on socks which are about £1 each pair but I'm a sure you are right Bob about size. Usually have to go large with boots as I have wide feet and a very high arch. Maybe this knackers the heels.

I can go through a pair of socks from supermarket multi packs in a day if I am doing groundwork or something. Three pairs with holes in from work this past week. Ridiculous.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 28 Apr 2021, 17:27

I have always had a hell of a job with shoes. I have to have size 13UK , but as and when (if) they can be found, theyre an E or wider and look like circus clown items. My foot is narrow, so I slop about all over the place in shoes.
Before I retired I worked here for a company that insisted on steel toe cap boots, but they could not supply them (Cypriots are usually quite short compared to me) and I had to buy them myself from the UK and get the money back.
But now I'm retired I dont wear the damn things. I work barefoot all summer, and sandals in the winter :eusa-dance: :eusa-clap: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2021, 17:32

Do you really need site boots? I have skinny legs and boots never fit snuggly around the lower leg and let in muck and water etc. I make do with steel toed trainers for house and garden jobs and when I am shifting fuel logs around.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 17:50

These boots are good though. Last year I accidentally rolled a 6 metre oak beam off steel trestles (turning it over to get a fresh face for the belt sander) and these saved my foot. Just 3 months ago I was changing a calor gas cylinder (the waist height red ones - we do not have mains gas) and opened the boot of our Q7 at the garage and the cylinder rolled straight out and it hit my foot before the tailgate was open enough for me to even see it. Dead lucky as I was doing another job hence booted up.

I'm accident prone. Always have been. So I wear boots for heavy work. ~To be fair I had never heard of steel toe capped trainers. What is the target market I wonder.

My wife bought me some of those medical style slip on shoes that medics wear, with cork sole. They are good but I just go barefoot in those.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2021, 18:38

Maybe trainers is stretching the definition a bit

I mean something like these
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/out ... 66760.html

1290F075-BAED-4470-8DC4-5BE5CD22AB23.jpeg
(200.1 KiB)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 28 Apr 2021, 18:40

I like these ...

https://www.hj.co.uk/mens-socks/brand/i ... ible-socks

... and they come with a six month guarantee.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Harv-53 » 28 Apr 2021, 19:54

Adrian,
I wear steel toe cap boots or safety trainers all day, 6 days a week, the socks I wear are protrek, I also get them from HJ the sock experts as mentioned by blackswanwood.
Ive never worn them out, some have lasted over 4 years before my wife chucked them, they are extremely durable and comfortable, I do have gel insoles to make up the size, I’m a uk 11.5 and normally get size 12 the gel insoles help with the size difference.
Decent boots also make a great difference, I mainly have V12 foot wear for work, I’ve got 4 different types of their safety footwear and highly recommend them.
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 20:11

Brilliant. Thanks. Very helpful.

HJ socks ordered.

My boots are V12 too it transpires. I get them from Godfrey's agricultural machinery in Sevenoaks.

I expect the problems are self inflicted. Stupidly dangerous sports in my 20s and 30s followed up with equally dangerous motorcycling after that, have knackered some joints (plus I need to go on a diet) and ended up with pressures that are unhealthy. Need to get a grip.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 28 Apr 2021, 22:34

safety trainers for me too. and usually the short work socks from lidl. oh and the safety trainers were from lidl as well!
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby MattS » 29 Apr 2021, 11:06

Link saved for those socks for next time I need some look brilliant.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 29 Apr 2021, 13:22

i will take a different track and suggest a pumice stone for you heel
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Cabinetman » 30 Apr 2021, 08:48

droogs wrote:i will take a different track and suggest a pumice stone for you heel

Not so sure, but I think you’re on the right track, if he’s going through a pair of socks a day I think he needs something much stronger, orbital sander maybe?
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Cabinetman » 30 Apr 2021, 08:52

AJB Temple wrote:Brilliant. Thanks. Very helpful.

HJ socks ordered.

My boots are V12 too it transpires. I get them from Godfrey's agricultural machinery in Sevenoaks.

I expect the problems are self inflicted. Stupidly dangerous sports in my 20s and 30s followed up with equally dangerous motorcycling after that, have knackered some joints (plus I need to go on a diet) and ended up with pressures that are unhealthy. Need to get a grip.

You may be right, my last post was in jest but thinking back my father suffered a compound fracture of his ankle and walked with a pronounced limp from then onwards, he built up hard skin on the side of his heel and used to take a scalpel to it!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Apr 2021, 08:56

You guys are so old tech. My feet are super smooth. You may laugh but these are brilliant:

71v63yoAzRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
(113.73 KiB)

Batteries last for ages, they deal with all hard skin and also smooth toe nails off after cutting.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2021, 08:35

AJB Temple wrote:..... I'm going through socks - literally, the heels wear through - in no time.

Not just works socks. The 'normal' socks from M&S that used to last for ages are now wearing out their heels at a rate of knots. It's happening across the board and across all sorts of things....the race to provide the minimum quality at an ever-increasing price. Even so-called premium brands. Hell. Handbasket IMO.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 01 May 2021, 09:11

As a rule, I don't think that doing woodwork warrants steel toe-capped boots. That said, AJB posted pics of some hefty posts he had been shifting, so in his case they may well be necessary. When I got a new pair of hiking boots, the old pair became my workshop boots and in general I feel that they are robust enough and grippy enough to provide the degree of safety I need.

Admittedly they are tip top boots and so were fairly expensive but as a result they are also very comfortable. I don't don't skimp on socks either with hiking boots. I get mine from a posh shop which has a walking and hunting department and get my - again unfortunately expensive - socks from them. The result is comfort, satisfaction and socks that don't seem to wear out.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 01 May 2021, 09:14

You’re right Roger, went back to Clarks shoes the other day for a pair of my favourite really comfortable shoes with air soles, they weren’t particularly cheap at £90 but they lasted forever and were really really comfortable, no they don’t do those anymore, but they do this one without the comfortable sole and they’re £130. SO annoying. (No I didn’t buy them!)
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat