It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:41

Why you wear PPE

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Why you wear PPE

Postby Cabinetman » 01 May 2021, 09:25

Everyday household items.
With the church pressing for pointed kitchen knives being banned, I hope to God nobody ever murders somebody with a chisel!
" could I see your license for that 6 mm bevel edged chisel sir? "
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2021, 09:35

Cabinetman wrote:Everyday household items.
With the church pressing for pointed kitchen knives being banned, I hope to God nobody ever murders somebody with a chisel!
" could I see your license for that 6 mm bevel edged chisel sir? "

You jest but, IIRC, a few years back, there was active discussion that would have made the sale of chisels illegal!

And how on earth can you fillet a fish without a pointed knife ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 01 May 2021, 10:30

Or, electrify the rhubarb.
Its quieter, but just as effective (allegedly) :lol: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 01 May 2021, 11:50

sunnybob wrote:Or, electrify the rhubarb.
Its quieter, but just as effective (allegedly) :lol: 8-)

Might be moderatoronthe front of the Webley.really couldnt say.but the only noise was a pfffft, followed by a meowwwwwwwwwww.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 01 May 2021, 12:50

Trevanion wrote:I personally think the British Laws on firearms are pretty pragmatic and sensible, and it limits gun ownership to those who actually need a firearm (and are vetted to be responsible and sane people) rather than having one for the sake of having it. Of course, criminals are going to be able to obtain firearms illegally, but it's sort of a moot point as crime with firearms involved is so low in the UK anyway and it's generally scumbags vs scumbags when it does happen.

We supposedly have very good guns laws :shock:

My license is valid for 5 years (pain in the butt renewing, took 3 months last time). We are supposed to do a competency test, but like all things in RSA a folded note in the hand paves a highway to corruption.

I also had to have the gun safe inspected by SAPS. A Col. came out to do the inspection.

The first time I had to apply for the new license was great confusion because of 2 different numbers on the barrel. I had to do sworn affidavits, have the gun certified by a gun smith and another sworn affidavit from him.
Took 6 months from application to getting the license.

I inherited the gun from late Mom, who got it from late Dad.
According to the gunsmith it is a 9mm FN 1900, pistol, manufactured in Belgium.
Was manufactured in 1900, the second barrel number is from WW1 and it also has the leather holster. It is a collectors piece, so might sell it sometime in the future.

I belonged to the Leeukop Prison shooting club where I learnt how to use it and look after it. Funny enough ear protection was not a big deal in the early 70's.

I also had a .22 pistol was was stolen when the house was broken into and they removed a very large and heavy safe. Took 3 of us to get the safe into the house.
Fortunately the FN was still locked away in a safe deposit box at the bank. It was my own box, so they never knew about the gun.

My current license expires in mid 2022, so I need to start the long process by January 2022.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby sunnybob » 01 May 2021, 13:29

Very similar to the UK.
5 yearly renewal, with a full house inspection and the ammo in a separate locked box to the guns.
One time a policeman come round to check the numbers. I opened the safe to show him all the guns wrapped in oiled rags, and being safety conscious stepped back and told him to help himself.
He freaked, literally. Said he wasnt going to touch any guns. I had to unwrap each one, show him the numbers and then rewrap. Strange that a man so frightened had to certify I was safe to posses. :lol:

Service was like yours, as slow as they could get away with. Until I moved house.
I had obviously notified them of change of address like the good boy I was, and expected my altered ticket back in the course of time.

2 days later there was a knock on the door, and the half glazed part of the door was completely dark. I opened it and the biggest copper I have ever seen in my long life was blocking the sun. A normal sized one poked his head around the side and in a very snotty attitude told me he had come to inspect the gun security arrangements. Obviously hoping to snatch them all away from the hall table.

HAH. :lol:
In a very nice polite (truly, no sarcasm) I invited them to the utility room, and like a stage magician lifted blankets off of the two Wells Fargo brass handled safes and three locked ammo boxes.
HAH. oh what a joy to see king kong deflate.

I offered to open up and show them the serial numbers, but strangely, they had another appointment.
8-)
I swear that bloke was 6 inches shorter when he left.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat