It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:10

No Money in My Pocket. WH2 Book Pass around.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: No Money in My Pocket. WH2 Book Pass around.

Postby RogerS » 15 Jun 2021, 13:21

AJB Temple wrote:Roger, I think you are next then. Please remind me of your address. Adrian

Sorry, missed this one.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jun 2021, 14:15

No probs. I am sure it will reach you soon.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 20 Jun 2021, 10:21

I thought this was an interesting idea of Chris's. I like to read about the past and if there's anything there about woodworking that's right up my street. So rather than wait my turn, I spent £2.28 on my own copy, delivery included.

I've finished it now. Adrian has summed it up pretty well. There's a lot about his struggles with the world but almost nothing about furniture making.

I'd never quite understand the appeal of antique repro work. It was disappearing from view by the time I was buying furniture and now that I could probably afford some I just don't want it.

Perhaps I am just as hard to please as Mr Coleman!

But if anyone else wants a copy to keep, I could send them this one - I don't feel the need to hang on to it.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Chris101 » 20 Jun 2021, 20:39

I think I found it interesting because it wasn't all about woodwork Andy. I enjoyed the earlier parts about the workshops and apprenticeships that are so far in the past now. I agree that it has a distinctive flavour, a bit like game, it's probably not for everyone.
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jul 2021, 12:28

@Dave novocaine

I'll pass this to you now if that's alright. I'm in no frame of mind to be reading about someone else's misery right now (especially if there's little about the actual woodworking which is what interested me) so let me know how/when best to pass on and I'll catch it another time round.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby novocaine » 25 Oct 2021, 08:28

this made it as far as me, but much like Mark, I haven't found the time nor the inclination to read it. I took it with me recently on a work trip to Denmark were I'd normally find the time of an evening to read, but I didn't make it past the first few pages before finding it somewhat hard going and of little interest to me.

So I'm going to pass it on now, who would like it, PM me your address and I'll get it in the post this week.

Dave
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat