It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:46

Anyone got to grips with Facebook home page?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Anyone got to grips with Facebook home page?

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2021, 13:01

I try to be open minded and and understand Facebook but I really do struggle and help pages don't seem to cover my issues.

1) How to remove the story banner. this takes up about one third of my screen and of no interest so HTF do ! get rid of it.

2) How do I get the entries below that to appear in strict chronological order most recent at the top.
currently the first few entries are 2d, 54m,12m,42m,1d,1d,2d,,18h,1h and so on. When read something (not necessarily remembering who said it) and want to return to it later it is devil to find as possibly the only thing I recall was that it was say 2days ago.

If it was not for a few groups I'm interested in that only appear on Facebook I'd ditch the firkin thing

Has anyone been able to make sense of FB orders things and get control of what appears?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Anyone got to grips with Facebook home page?

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2021, 13:24

Don't know about the story thing, but on the web page in the top right corner there is a downward arrow, click that and get Settings & Privacy/Newsfeed Preferences and you can do some stuff under there.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2021, 13:39

Thanks Mark
Don't normally use the browser for FB but it seems very slow but gives more things to try.
This seems to suggest you have some control but FB know best and will change it back in time - tossers

fb1.jpg
(22.35 KiB)

Just set the web version to view in order but phone version does not comply to this

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Jun 2021, 14:10

You have the same settings in the mobile app from what I can see...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby sunnybob » 18 Jun 2021, 14:33

I was convinced (coerced) into facebook to keep in touch with my grandkids. They cant be bothered to message some old bloke thousands of miles away (at least not untill they are due to come here for holidays :D ).
So i very quickly gave the whole thing the heave ho. My life as been serene ever since 8-) 8-) 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2021, 15:16

sunnybob wrote:I was convinced (coerced) into facebook to keep in touch with my grandkids. They cant be bothered to message some old bloke thousands of miles away (at least not untill they are due to come here for holidays :D ).
So i very quickly gave the whole thing the heave ho. My life as been serene ever since 8-) 8-) 8-)

:text-+1:

I nominate Mark Zuckerberg to be indicted for crimes against humanity for inventing the damn thing. And the other one who invented *. Sure social media can be used for good. But 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it isn't.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby spb » 18 Jun 2021, 15:55

Yep, they removed the option to see most recent first a couple of years ago. They say it's still there, but as well as turning it off for you at random, it also doesn't work properly any more - it'll change the order, yes, but still only show you the things it thinks you should be interested in.

Not surprisingly, when that change hit is when I stopped looking at it at all.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2021, 15:58

RogerS wrote:Sure social media can be used for good. But 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it isn't.

I wouldn’t go quite as far as that Rog. There are some very good groups on FachAche or Faffbook, the best of which was ‘Modernist’s’ one on Scandi furniture which is now sadly archived but it went on for several years and was very, very good. Other than that, it’s a great place for joshing with some really quite funny stuff coming up. In particular Ted Cole (from Bristol)and Craig Clemens (USA) are hilarious and I usually always pitch in and a certain Jimmy Hendricks can also be found.

So yes, it’s generally pretty bloody appalling, but it does have it’s lighter moments - Rob

Edit - I got ‘involved’ in an online duel yesterday with medieval broadswords outside the cathedral when somebody accused me of being one of the signatories of Magna Carta. The ne’er do well never turned up! :lol: :lol:
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2021, 16:25

Agree it is mostly awful but for example I found a tenant for a flat on one local group. Poor lass was being rejected by other landlords for being pregnant!
I don’t think they can do that but it’s easy enough to find another excuse.
She passed credit references, her employers reference was fine and she was on a good maternity package. Her father is standing as guarantor and she has 6 months rent up front ( as well as a bump :lol: )
So tolerating farcebook has saved me Rightmove’s fees.

But it still drives me up the wall as well a some chap called woodbloke on there every few days…………

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2021, 16:40

9fingers wrote:
But it still drives me up the wall as well a some chap called woodbloke on there every few days…………

Bob

:lol: :lol:

A lot of my woody stuff though, originates on Instagram and then migrates across to Faffbook - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Jun 2021, 20:08

This member is VERY anti Facebook. Adopted it very early so that we could share stuff eldest son and I got up to with distant family in Netherlands. He was about 5 or 6 and a very good looking child. In no time we were inundated with requests for contact details, photos and so on. People pretending to be model agents and so on (all BS - his Dutch mother was a model and well connected).

The whole thing was repellent and I have shunned it ever since. It still gives me the shivers.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jun 2021, 21:39

AJB Temple wrote:This member is VERY anti Facebook. Adopted it very early so that we could share stuff eldest son and I got up to with distant family in Netherlands. He was about 5 or 6 and a very good looking child. In no time we were inundated with requests for contact details, photos and so on. People pretending to be model agents and so on (all BS - his Dutch mother was a model and well connected).

The whole thing was repellent and I have shunned it ever since. It still gives me the shivers.

:text-bravo: :text-+1: :text-goodpost:

Yes, there are little oases as mentioned up above but in the main all these anti-social media sites like Faecebook and T watter are slime-infested pits of pus.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2021, 00:27

AJB Temple wrote:This member is VERY anti Facebook. Adopted it very early so that we could share stuff eldest son and I got up to with distant family in Netherlands. He was about 5 or 6 and a very good looking child. In no time we were inundated with requests for contact details, photos and so on. People pretending to be model agents and so on (all BS - his Dutch mother was a model and well connected).

That’s because you had your profile ‘public’ so anyone could see it I imagine. Mine is set to private and only those I am ‘friends’ with can see my content by default.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Gill » 23 Jun 2021, 00:12

On the plus side, since I started posting my sports photography on FaceBook people have been offering to buy my photographs. Real people who come up to me in person, not just internet pests. I'm on the verge of starting a second career!
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Jun 2021, 09:13

Expect you are right Mark. It was early FB though in the days of innocence before we realised that on-line platforms could be dodgy.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jun 2021, 09:53

AJB Temple wrote:Expect you are right Mark. It was early FB though in the days of innocence before we realised that on-line platforms could be dodgy.

So how do you keep in touch now?
I too gave up on Facebook. I found it difficult and for my generally IT illiterate family it was a nightmare. We use blogs now to send regular photo essays and of course whatsap.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Jun 2021, 13:16

Well....

We used Whats App for a long time. But it is now being monetised by FaceBook, who own it, and No 1 offspring who is our tech leader, rebelled over change in T&Cs and privacy concerns and data collection. So we now use Signal or Apple's iMessage (which is growing fast in popularity apparently). My business partner and I use Signal because she is convinced her ex Hacked Whats App somehow.

I still occasionally use WA with regular groups such as my bike club, because it is in common usage, but I don't trust anything run by FaceBook really.

No longer use blogs, and hardly use email anymore.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jun 2021, 13:41

Adrian do you have any links to outline how WhatsApp might be monetised?
All the messages are encrypted so about all the info they can collect is who talks to who and how often and I can’t see a lot of value in that.
I used it quite lot amongst friends for confidential chats etc

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2021, 13:59

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jun 2021, 14:39

Thanks Roger
I can’t see it being a rich seam of data to target ads though unless they try to link it to Facebook

I’m experimenting with a fb page for my rental business and that is trying to get me to add a WhatsApp link but I’m refusing.

So WhatsApp will have info on who I chat with and possibly my rough location from my ip address when on wifi and not a lot else.
A few ad message can soon go in the bin if that is the price of a secure point to point messaging service

iMessage is all very well but only talks to other fruitphones.

Unfazed of Romsey

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jun 2021, 14:46

I’m with you Bob, a lot of noise about something that isn’t worth worrying about as yet IMO. No tin foil hat wearing just yet.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Jun 2021, 15:29

Which is fair enough and I still use WA.

However, eldest is working in a Dutch aeronautical research facility and they have banned WhatsApp because of what they perceive as security issues and the risk of confidential images and copyright being harvested by largely unaccountable FB. It's partly because they do so much remote working due to C19 and like most of us had perhaps got a bit casual about these platforms. Hence we now use Signal (or he does - I have to use everything!).

Personally I find ads intrusive, and targeted ads even more so. I would happily pay to use secure software to have none and am quite happy to abandon platforms that insist on attention grabs.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jun 2021, 15:44

I was quite happy with the old WhatsApp subscription model. A dollar pa is no hardship :lol:

I did wonder if WA attachments are encrypted as well as the text but its is not a big deal for my usage.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Jun 2021, 09:17

All messages within the WhatsApp message wrapper are encrypted.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jun 2021, 11:32

TrimTheKing wrote:All messages within the WhatsApp message wrapper are encrypted.

Without putting on a political ‘spin’ it would appear that HMG are quite happy to use WA as well :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat