It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:43

SketchUp plug-in error

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

SketchUp plug-in error

Postby RogerS » 05 Apr 2019, 10:17

I use the Cut List plug-in and have just discovered that it gets its knickers in a twist if you have a model (like my lantern) with a component that is on the diagonal like a hip rafter. Cut List seems to give the dimensions of the bounding box (if that's the right word) rather than the actual component which goes from the top of one corner of the box down to the opposite diagonal bottom corner.

Of course, it could be down to me using an out-of-date plug-in and/or version of SketchUp !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: SketchUp plug-in error

Postby Dave R » 06 Apr 2019, 13:42

Cut List seems to give the dimensions of the bounding box

That's what CutList is intended to do. And yes, that's the right term.

The correct process is to set the component's axes so they align with the geometry. Like so:
Screenshot - 4_6_2019 , 7_39_55 AM.png
(39.31 KiB)

Right click on the component and select Change Axes. Then click to set the origin followed by the red, and finally the green axis. Blue takes care of itself. Depending on the geometry, you may find it useful to set out some guidelines to follow while adjusting the axes.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Apr 2019, 15:46

Many thanks for the explanation, Dave. You make it sound so easy but I'm afraid that I've failed miserably. But not to worry...I simply used the Tape Measure.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 06 Apr 2019, 15:47

You could send me the SKP file. I can create something to show you how to do it.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 Apr 2019, 17:29

Dave R wrote:You could send me the SKP file. I can create something to show you how to do it.

Many thanks, Dave...will do. I did have another go and thought I'd cracked it but the Cut List dimensions didn't tally with the Tape Measure.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools