It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:24

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop Bench question

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2019, 12:02

MY63 wrote:I have started making my bench for under the MFT style top and am a little concerned over the size of my rails. My legs may be a little over size at 100mm but I am a little worried my rails may be a little on the small side at 35mm x 75mm is this heavy enough or should I stick two together and have 70mm x 75mm rails.
The other question is how deep should the mortices be.

Rigidity of a beam increases linearly with width and by the cube of the depth. So no great advantage to doubling up the width.
Mortise depth - at least 50% when you can but why not go all the way through and wedge them for this sort of job where strength is more important that looks. Even wedged tenons can look pretty too.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Small workshop

Postby MY63 » 02 Jun 2019, 17:55

Got it Thanks Bob :) 100mm mortices might be a challenge though.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby John Brown » 06 Jun 2019, 08:57

Great thread, and well done, Michael.
Can I ask what you think the total cost was?
I'm hoping to be moving to the country soon, and will need a workshop.
Also, how many man hours would you estimate?
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby MY63 » 06 Jun 2019, 20:42

Hi John
I would like to answer both of your questions in detail but I really cannot.
Cost is going to be an estimate although I do have most of the invoices I have not have the courage to total them up but so far my best guess would be £2200 which is more than I was planning but about right for what I have. I saved £300 on insulation by talking to a local company who allowed me into their scratch and dent area and I got all of my insulation for £10 of biscuits. I also saved £100 on my window by buying a new mis sized window from another local company for £50 I made the opening after I bought the window.
As I screwed everything together I saved a lot of money by buying the screws from my timber merchant they were £5 per box cheaper than the big box companies especially on the large screws for the same brand.
Time is a lot harder my disability means I have to work for 1 to 2 hours then a rest and I can do this a couple of times in a day. If I do too much then it is 3 or 4 days recovery.
I started in October had hand surgery in November, bad weather whenever that was and finished the outside at the end of April. So I would say on average 5 months 6 days per week 4 hours per day 120 hours equal to 3 working weeks. Someone who was fit and healthy could do it in 2 weeks and if they knew what they were doing probably 1 week.
One of the best things I have learned is to draw it out you have a better understanding and it helps when ordering materials. When materials arrive check them off and mark them all so you don’t mix stuff up when cutting. I used my invoices against delivery notes to make sure I had what I paid for then marked each piece for where it was going. Floor walls and roof all had different colour sharpies.
Hope this helps
MY63
Old Oak

Postby John Brown » 06 Jun 2019, 20:45

That's great.
Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

John
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby MY63 » 09 Jun 2019, 14:45

I have done very little recently I have been trying to catch up on my leather work I made 4 cases in 10 days which is good for me.
Looking at the 100mm x 100mm rough cut posts I have for the legs of my workbench my first thoughts were I will clean them up and use them.
Rather than wasting time cleaning up the rough cut posts then buying more pressure treated posts later I am going to buy some un treated dressed timber for the legs and keep the posts for the decking in front of my workshop.

Are 100mm posts best for the legs or would 75mm be ok ?

My plunge saw cuts around 55 mm when cutting 100mm posts I started making two cuts and was left with a line down the centre. I then tried 4 cuts I had a diagonal line. Is there a trick I am missing to cut 100mm square posts ?
Is the easiest solution a mitre saw ?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 17 Jun 2019, 12:47

Time to think about security bearing in mind what others have said in the past I have four hinge bolts. I have also spoken to a local lock smith who made up two ERA fortress dead locks keyed alike for £43 5 levers.
I just need to fit them now.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jun 2019, 19:54

Alarm it! I’m paranoid and have wired mine to the house alarm but if you don’t have one of those then buy one of the Yale wireless alarms with window shocks, door sensor and PIR and also has a text module to SMS you when it goes off if you’re not around.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2019, 07:32

Time to check your insurance too with particular attention to outbuildings contents. If someone wants to get into a wooden shed they will no matter how good the locks or alarms.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2019, 09:19

Andyp wrote:Time to check your insurance too with particular attention to outbuildings contents. If someone wants to get into a wooden shed they will no matter how good the locks or alarms.

All (or most of) the 'shop gear is covered on my LV household contents policy and I've got it PIR alarmed, with a Chubb 5 lever mortice dead lock on the door as well as a big Chubb padlock and security hasp. One important feature of my 'shop is that I've got frosted glass in the windows, so it's impossible to see what's inside from outside - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2019, 09:39

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:Time to check your insurance too with particular attention to outbuildings contents. If someone wants to get into a wooden shed they will no matter how good the locks or alarms.

All (or most of) the 'shop gear is covered on my LV household contents policy and I've got it PIR alarmed, with a Chubb 5 lever mortice dead lock on the door as well as a big Chubb padlock and security hasp. One important feature of my 'shop is that I've got frosted glass in the windows, so it's impossible to see what's inside from outside - Rob

The hells angels logo on the door helps deter burglars too eh Rob? :lol: :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2019, 10:46

9fingers wrote:
The hells angels logo on the door helps deter burglars too eh Rob? :lol: :lol:

Bob

Lightweight, namby-pamby stuff Bob. This is the...

IMG_2992.jpg
(249.95 KiB)

...ultimate deterrent :lol: and if the fear of blowing your feet off isn't enough, I let loose a pair of...

IMG_2993.jpg
(194.89 KiB)

...avian dobermans inside just before I lock up :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 18 Jun 2019, 11:09

Thanks Andy and Mark.
My insurers require a lock of British standard 5 levers etc. They don't require an alarm system although I may fit one when the electricians come.
We used to have a college sports field behind our house and often had local youths in our garden. Since the houses were built on that field it is very difficult to access.

Not taking any chances though :)

The only landmines in our garden is the dog poo :D most intruders tend to be put off by our three spaniels two ex working dogs that dont bark much but the third failed as a working dog so will bark occasionally the main difference is when strangers approach like next doors window cleaners.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 22 Jun 2019, 23:24

After setting up my new mitre saw this morning I decided it was time to set up my band saw too.
I had ordered a replacement bolt for the tensioning mechanism when I removed the original it was 5 mm longer than the new one. Going by the rust on the one that came out it was not stainless steel like the new one. Everything went together easily new blade installed and it cuts like a dream.

Image2019-06-22_11-04-56 by my0771, on Flickr

I used my late fathers drill and stand to drill out the mortices and the band saw to cut the tenons I cut 5 of the 8 tenons for the top joints this afternoon and plan to cut the rest tomorrow.

The band saw has what look like small brass bars as guides and I was wondering how close to the blade they need to be. They are about 5mm away presently.
The blade cuts straight it does not move left or right while it is moving.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 23 Jun 2019, 07:32

I set mine up using a thin piece of paper to distance the blade from the block, just so you can see daylight between the two.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jun 2019, 11:06

MY63 wrote:
The band saw has what look like small brass bars as guides and I was wondering how close to the blade they need to be. They are about 5mm away presently.

What you can do is to replace those blocks with self-lubricating Lignum Vitae and set them so they just touch the blade. As it's a timber, they soon wear and provide a perfect clearance - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 23 Jun 2019, 20:50

Thanks Rob I will keep that in mind for when the brass runs out although small pieces of wood are guarded around here as I use them in my pen cases I have already started using the pieces you were kind enough to sort out for me.
I invested in a pair of plastic feather boards (hope that is the correct term) for the band saw which will be a great help as two of my fingers are not releasing when required which is a bit of a nuisance when you want to let go of a trigger :D.
I am making my first official project in the workshop and I needed to rout a groove in some 35mm x 10mm sapelle no chance of doing it by hand so I got out the cheap router table. And using clamps fixed the feather boards in place. Perfect two passes and I have a nice groove for my bases to fit in.
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Small workshop " workbench help needed"

Postby MY63 » 24 Jun 2019, 07:15

I am currently making a set of legs for my first work bench. I started with the top cutting mortices using the drill press and a good bit of 14mm. Tenons made on the band saw which takes seconds :D.
My problem is the top of the mortices keep splitting out as each leg needs two mortices I have only cut them halfway through.
Clearly I am doing something wrong other than making the tenons smaller is there anything else I should be doing.
I will take some pictures if it stops raining.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 24 Jun 2019, 07:50

Glad to see you are up and running. I have a stash of lignum vitae in th shape of a few lawn green bowls. To send a whole one in the post is prohibitive expensive but small pieces for band saw guides are no problem.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 24 Jun 2019, 10:50

Splitting - clamp the ends or cut further away from the edge, then cut off the waste.

You seem to be working in a corner which will limit your length of timber being worked?
Fasten the legs to some 18mm ply board then attach some lockable castors - then you can move the saw to a more convenient space.

You could have made a feather board, very easy on a saw.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:56

That is very kind of you Andy should I replace them now or wait until the brass wears down.I have a couple of questions relating to the band saw.

In this picture you can see the blade and the guides there is a roller bearing behind the blade but it appears to be side on.
Image2019-06-24_11-45-10 by my0771, on Flickr

Image2019-06-24_11-45-19 by my0771, on Flickr

I don't think I noticed this before as I put the band saw into the garage when I first got it. Is this some sort of speed adjustment device.

Image2019-06-24_11-45-00 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:57

Thanks Rod I bought the timber machined to the correct size as I did not have a mitre saw at that point.

Is there a tip for clamping the ends without long clamps or should I start saving for long clamps :)

The band saw is currently in a corner and as you say I was planning on adding wheels in the future the current metal base that came with the saw is quite tall the table is 1200mm.
Ideally I would like wheels that can be fitted to the sides that can be raised and lowered easily should such a thing exist.

Time is my enemy I am afraid Rod I wanted to finish the first work bench in time to start a small wood working project this week. I also have a number of leatherworking projects backing up so £25 for two robust feather boards with an assortment of fasteners. I think it was good value really.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jun 2019, 12:03

The rear bearing is there to stop the blade pushing back too far and while it looks odd it is correctly aligned.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 24 Jun 2019, 13:21

TrimTheKing wrote:The rear bearing is there to stop the blade pushing back too far and while it looks odd it is correctly aligned.

Thanks Mark
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Small workshop " workbench help needed"

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jun 2019, 13:25

MY63 wrote:I am currently making a set of legs for my first work bench. I started with the top cutting mortices using the drill press and a good bit of 14mm. Tenons made on the band saw which takes seconds :D.
My problem is the top of the mortices keep splitting out as each leg needs two mortices I have only cut them halfway through.
Clearly I am doing something wrong other than making the tenons smaller is there anything else I should be doing.
I will take some pictures if it stops raining.

I think you had this problem before. Keep the mortise well away from the end of the legs.
Maybe the promised photos will give more of a clue?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds