It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:10

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby Mike G » 02 Nov 2018, 20:57

MY63 wrote:........I am also going to use mineral wool for the insulation.
If my joists are 150 mm and the insulation is 100 mm what supports the insulation and does that prevent mice from moving in........

Your roof insulation is supported by the ceiling, attached to the underside of the joists (flat roof).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 02 Nov 2018, 21:33

Thanks Mike I was actually talking about the floor.
I think I understand the walls and roof thing the OSB is the vapour barrier then outside of that is the insulation followed by the vapour barrier to allow any moisture out into the void to evaporate or up in the North drip out the bottom :) Then would come the outer shell.
What I clearly don’t get is what stops the insulation falling out of the floor joists and more importantly what keeps the pesky mieces away from nesting in it. I am sure I read one build where netting was used.
I am planning on storing my leather stock in this workshop and it needs to be protected from things that might nibble on it.
Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Mike G » 02 Nov 2018, 22:08

Oh sorry!

The floor is more awkward. You can fix battens across the underside to hold the insulation up, or staple garden netting in place. As to keeping vermin out, your barrier is the lintels at the edge, but I would always suggest chucking some bait around underneath just to be on the safe side.

If it's a really big issue, then make the floor up upside down, with OSB on what will be the underside, then flip it over. You can either do this in manageable sections, or get some help in for the lift.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 03 Nov 2018, 21:44

Thanks Mike
Bait won’t work for us we have spaniels who would just dig for it and eat it and as we have just lost one this week the others are just a little more precious than usual.
I had not considered the plinth as sealing off the space do you think the breathable membrane would be suitable for holding the insulation in place.
Btw I saw a mention of leather in your kitchen construction do you have any clever tricks for storing leather.
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 03 Nov 2018, 21:48

I've got a plastic bag full of leather in one of my sheds. No tricks.

The spaniel would have to dig through the floor, or through the concrete lintels, to get to the bait I suggested. So long as there are no gaps between the lintels, no vermin can get into the underfloor void anyway, and if vermin can't find a way in then a dog certainly wont.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 03 Nov 2018, 22:27

You are correct if I dig a foundation as you suggest and lay the lintels correctly there should be plenty of protection.
I have finished my fencing adventure with my neighbour.

Image2018-11-03_09-20-40 by my0771, on Flickr

It is double sided I did his side first while my wife painted our boards.

Now that is finished I can empty and take down the old shed and make a start on the digging :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 16 Nov 2018, 16:00

I am sorry for the delay in posting an update here I managed to hurt my back I wish I could say it was due to something heroic but unfortunately I stepped of a kerb that I had not seen.

Anyway I have made some progress with my shopping list I thought I would add it here incase I have missed something out. It will also help me work out what it is all for.

47 x 150 mm CLS regularised green treated 12 x 3m (roof) 10 x 2.4m (floor) 10 x 1.8m (door and window frame and headers) 78m @ £2.71 per m

47 x 100 mm CLS regularised green treated 8 x 2.4 m (end wall upper and lower plates and end studs)) 6 x 3.6 m (upper and lower wall plates) 87 m @ £1.80

25 x 50 mm sawn green treated 20 x 2.4 m 48 m @ £0.45 per m

Concrete lintel 1.2 m x 4 and 1.8 m x 4 m

Breathable membrane 50 m x 1 @£28.90

2440 x 1220 18 mm external plywood x 3 sheets (floor) @ £25.25

2440 x 1220 x 11mm OSB3 x 13 sheets @ £12.74

2440 x 1220 x 18 mm OSB3 sheet @ £19.44

100 mm superglass cavity wall insulation 4.36 m2 x 10 @ £15.00

I am sure I have over ordered on 47 x 150 and 47 x 100 but as I will be building benches inside I am certain
it will be used.

The supplier only has feather edge board in 1.8 m lengths which means lost of joints so I may look elsewhere.

Whilst typing this I realised that I had not added any wood for doors oops.
Joint hangers, vents, and fastenings are all from another supplier.
Roof membrane also another supplier.
Thanks
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Nov 2018, 17:29

Hi Michael,

Im afraid I haven't done the maths to see if what you ordered is what you need.

However, I have noted that for your sheet boards, you have quoted for ply and OSB as 2440 x 1220.

My supplier only stocked 2400 x 1200 OSB and 2440 x 1220 Ply.

My advice is to check your supplier and his sheet sizes, otherwise you may find you go to put up a sheet against studs, rafters or joists, and it doesn't quite fit.

In addition if it helps, I have found that sawmills supply better choices of F/E rather than just the fence sizes that building supplies do. They offer different widths as well. I didn't realise how many sawmills I had within a half hour's drive until I looked into this.

I hope this helps.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 16 Nov 2018, 21:50

Thanks Malcolm
I quoted the information directly from the printed price quote they gave me so the sizes and terminology are all theirs. I feel a bit of a fraud with the information from members here when I go there I actually sound like I know what I am doing, one of the staff even tried to sell me his table saw :D .
I was actually at a sawmill but they sell mainly ship lap for outside buildings. I compared some of the prices with the big stores and they were much cheaper even.
All of our other local saw mills have gone now most of our heavy industry has also gone.
I do appreciate your advice and enjoyed reading your build.
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 19 Nov 2018, 17:55

Time to make a start, I realised after I had removed a few panels I had not taken a starting picture so here is the old shed. I checked with my neighbour who has lived here for 35 years and she said the shed looked old when she moved in.

Image2018-11-19_04-18-08 by my0771, on Flickr

It was really well put together with large nails and 3 bolts at each corner The inside is dark brown which I think maybe creosote. I would like to reuse some of this timber to make work benches for the inside painting it a lighter colour does anyone know of any issues I may encounter.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:14

I'm all for re- and up cycling!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 21 Nov 2018, 15:05

Rain has stopped the removal of the old shed at the moment. Stone for foundations arrives tomorrow.
But I have been thinking I knit is dangerous :) I don't do a lot of stamping or riveting in my leather work that may well be because I don't have a suitable bench.
Stamping and tooling leather does not require a heavy blow but reducing the bounce does make a difference to the finished result.
So I was thinking if I dug a hole between my floor joists and set a concrete lintel at a suitable depth to come up through the floor to work bench height where I could site my granite slab.
Is this realistic or would it be better to double up the floor joist and make sure there is a wooden leg/support under this area.
More pictures soon
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 21 Nov 2018, 15:23

I wouldn't advocate having anything protruding through the floor. That's not a good idea at all. Double up your joists locally, and/or put an extra support under the joists, but leave the floor intact.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 21 Nov 2018, 21:51

Mike G wrote:I wouldn't advocate having anything protruding through the floor. That's not a good idea at all. Double up your joists locally, and/or put an extra support under the joists, but leave the floor intact.

Thanks Mike I appreciate your input I will add an extra joist at both ends where the bench legs will rest then I can stamp at either end.
My current plan for the inside is to have a large cutting area at the end right across the back wall and two narrow benches running down the long walls. One for leather and the other for machines sander. Edge polisher. Mitre saw. Arbour press and maybe a bandsaw at some point. I don’t require floor space at all other than for standing on and the dogs will need a bed I guess.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 24 Nov 2018, 14:30

At last a day with rain so out early to remove the rest of the old shed.

Image2018-11-24_01-11-39 by my0771, on Flickr

I am almost ready to start digging the stone for the foundation arrived yesterday.

I have planned so far a pent roof not because I like it but because I thought it would offer more head room inside. Someone who lives around the corner has just had a structure built in their garden with a double pitch roof but quite shallow in pitch so before I order the wood. ( They must not have read the rules as it is about 6 inches from their boundary)
Should I build a shallow double pitch or a pent style roof ? I plan on using a rubber type roof covering.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 24 Nov 2018, 18:30

A duo-pitch roof is more attractive visually, and generally gives you more headroom. The mono-pitch or flat roof is (marginally) cheaper, and easier to build. Whichever of those factors is more important to you, that's your answer.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 24 Nov 2018, 20:43

Thanks Mike I think I will be happier with a double pitch I have not worked it out but could I have the centre at 2.5 m and the edges at 2.4 m it is going to have the edpm roof.
As I have already blown the budget I might as well build what I want.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 26 Nov 2018, 21:36

9fingers wrote:
MY63 wrote:Ok I have made a decision the supplier has told me they only stock concrete lintels in 1.2 and 1.8 m so my workshop is going to be 2.4m x 3.6m as per my original plan.
I am also going to use mineral wool for the insulation.
If my joists are 150 mm and the insulation is 100 mm what supports the insulation and does that prevent mice from moving in.
Thanks
Michael

Don't forget to allow for the corners in the overall dimensions.
Possibly going to be 2.6 x 3.6 or 2.4 x 3.8 or 2.5 x 3.7

Bob

Sorry Bob I don't know how I missed your post I did work this out but not until yesterday. :D I am going to add the extra to the length. My wife and I are actively discussing the width of the workshop.the distance between the fence and the steps of the decking is slightly less than than the current width of the shed including the 1 m from the boundry. She has been pointing out that all of our neighbours have sheds right on the boundry.
If it ever stops raining I am going to lay out some deck boards so I can see the actual size in place.

If my pictures never show the fence side of my workshop. Keep it to yourselves ;)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 26 Nov 2018, 21:44

At 10 sq m ish, I can't imagine there would a problem with proximity of the boundary.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 27 Nov 2018, 00:37

Thanks Bob
The weather forecast is for no rain tomorrow so I will mark it out and start digging.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 27 Nov 2018, 21:16

Just as forecast no rain until after dark I did not stop until the light had gone. So no pictures I managed to dig one long side and the back as I was concerned about rain I filled each trench as it was finished.
I think I may have ordered the wrong filling material I intended to order mot 1 but instead I have ordered some smaller stones in sand but they have compacted really well. No room for a wheel barrow so it was builders tubs all day.
Rain from now until Friday.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 28 Nov 2018, 22:20

Hi everyone I may have mentioned I have some issues with my right hand and nerve damage..
Over the last few years I have developed some tendon issues which have required surgery the next one was planned for January I saw the consultant this morning as I was in a lot of pain which was agrivating my whole arm.
He had a small gap in his list tomorrow so I am booked in 12 noon.
So there will be a pause in my construction plans but it will give me time To re read all of the apex rooves as that is my new plan. I may even try to learn sketch up.
I should be able to use it in a few weeks once the stitches are out but have to return to high level Medes for some time until the nerves settle so no power tools allowed. On the bright side my back will have a chance to heal :D
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 28 Nov 2018, 22:22

MY63 wrote:Hi everyone I may have mentioned I have some issues with my right hand and nerve damage..
Over the last few years I have developed some tendon issues which have required surgery the next one was planned for January I saw the consultant this morning as I was in a lot of pain which was agrivating my whole arm.
He had a small gap in his list tomorrow so I am booked in 12 noon.
So there will be a pause in my construction plans but it will give me time To re read all of the apex rooves as that is my new plan. I may even try to learn sketch up.
I should be able to use it in a few weeks once the stitches are out but have to return to high level Medes for some time until the nerves settle so no power tools allowed. On the bright side my back will have a chance to heal :D

Good luck with your procedure!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 28 Nov 2018, 22:40

Yup...all the best, Michael. If you are serious about getting to grip with SketchUp then I heartily recommend the DVD from one DaveR of this parish. There are some free websites that claim to be 'for woodworkers' but they teach you bad practice.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Nov 2018, 00:07

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds