It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:39

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop "help needed"

Postby RogerS » 07 Jan 2019, 09:00

MY63 wrote:..
My supplier has some 50 mm polystyrene sheets 8 x 4 that could fill the inside void.

I'm not sure but maybe polystyrene isn't dense enough for any longterm base under your floor ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Small workshop "help needed"

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 10:17

RogerS wrote:
MY63 wrote:..
My supplier has some 50 mm polystyrene sheets 8 x 4 that could fill the inside void.

I'm not sure but maybe polystyrene isn't dense enough for any longterm base under your floor ?

Sorry Roger the polystyrene was merely to fill the gap caused by raising the height of the stone without any side support like shuttering. Like I have done for the soil. The weather forecast is dry and mild for the next few days and I was hoping to make progress.
I don’t think I am being very clear my foundations are coming out of the trench and need to be 50 mm higher than currently.
I hope that makes sense.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Small workshop

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jan 2019, 10:25

Could you live with 65mm extra height? A dry laid course of bricks. Any old type would do? Even weathered ones skulking around at the builders merchant should be cheap to clear.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 10:39

9fingers wrote:Could you live with 65mm extra height? A dry laid course of bricks. Any old type would do? Even weathered ones skulking around at the builders merchant should be cheap to clear.
Bob

So if I am following you I level the stone and lay the bricks end to end without mortar and then put the lintels on top any construction adhesive required ?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jan 2019, 10:44

MY63 wrote:
9fingers wrote:Could you live with 65mm extra height? A dry laid course of bricks. Any old type would do? Even weathered ones skulking around at the builders merchant should be cheap to clear.
Bob

So if I am following you I level the stone and lay the bricks end to end without mortar and then put the lintels on top any construction adhesive required ?

No adhesive needed, gravity will do the job for you.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 10:45

Thanks Bob off to find bricks :D
MY63
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jan 2019, 11:01

Make sure that stone is really well compacted though otherwise you’ll end up with the bricks under the lintels sinking into the stone and twisting your building.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 07 Jan 2019, 11:03

TrimTheKing wrote:Make sure that stone is really well compacted though otherwise you’ll end up with the bricks under the lintels sinking into the stone and twisting your building.

I second that. When my builder laid the sub-base for our terrace he used some excellent sub-base and a whacker plate and the base is like cast iron. Trick is to lay the stuff down in small layers, compacting each layer as you go.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 11:06

Thanks Mark
I have been using two 3.6 m lengths of decking clamped together to tamp it down is that sufficient or do I need something heavier ?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 07 Jan 2019, 11:07

Personally I'd hire a proper whacker plate. Possibly overkill but better safe than sorry.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 11:23

Hire charges are ok delivery is almost as much not sure how heavy they are for a car ? back to google :D
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Norty Raskel » 07 Jan 2019, 13:32

From a weight perspective you should get a wacker plate in the car, depending on the type of car you may need to take the handle off, most handles fall forward to lower the height so providing you've got reasonable head room it should fit without further dismantling.

Jon
Norty Raskel
New Shoots

Name: Jon

Postby RogerS » 07 Jan 2019, 14:03

It really depends on how high any cill is to have to lift a heavy whacker plate over. And get out the other end. Worked fine in my Disco but that (a) has a high boot floor level and (b) no cill to speak of.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 15:55

It is an Audi A6 estate no cill and the floor is flat so that should not be an issue.
They seem to weigh around 70 kg which should not be an issue either.
Has anyone used the electric versions.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jan 2019, 16:02

MY63 wrote:It is an Audi A6 estate no cill and the floor is flat so that should not be an issue.
They seem to weigh around 70 kg which should not be an issue either.
Has anyone used the electric versions.

They work by rotating and eccentric weight so I would imagine no performance difference between petrol and electrically powered versions just that the latter is more convenient for small jobs and no need to fiddle around with cans of fuel unless you also run a petrol lawnmower and have petrol to hand.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 08 Jan 2019, 00:24

Found an electric one £23 for a day more stone tomorrow wood arrives Wednesday so I think Thursday for the walker. :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Coolhands » 08 Jan 2019, 01:11

I used one to make my path, it worked ok. Although it was just used to whacker the sand into the hardcore. The one I hired was petrol. Pretty heavy if I recall correctly.

I think you may need some sand over whatever hardcore you use to create a flat surface, (‘bind’ it is the term I think) like my path pics below. I’m not sure it will do much to just whacker stone / rubble.

3E17BAFD-B76E-48E8-A473-151CEC288D8E.jpeg
(445.1 KiB)

54CD92F3-2AA8-4950-990F-2907660A8E9F.jpeg
(351.91 KiB)
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MY63 » 08 Jan 2019, 08:10

Thanks @Coolhands I was advised to buy the stone with sand in because it would compact well. If my workshop turns out anywhere near as good as yours I will be very happy.

This is my hearing protection they are not the full noise cancelling ones but even without music playing I cant hold a conversation the electric one is much quieter apparently :D

Image2019-01-08_07-01-07 by my0771, on Flickr

Another Christmas gift :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2019, 08:10

Coolhands wrote:....
I think you may need some sand over whatever hardcore you use to create a flat surface, (‘bind’ it is the term I think) like my path pics below. I’m not sure it will do much to just whacker stone / rubble.

It's 'blind' :D

It depends on the type of sub-base material you get. From our local builders merchants their sub-base is a mix of gravel/crushed stone/sand/ fines and so when you whack it down it really does solidify into seamless surface that hardly needs any further dressing with the addition of sand. As I mentioned in another post, the trick is to lay a small layer/whack and keep whacking/add another small layer/repeat.

EDIT: Michael, you were well advised ! Where did you get yours from ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 08 Jan 2019, 15:11

Ha Ha Roger if Coolhands had not posted pictures I would not have known what he was talking about :)
It was my local timber supplier who told me what to buy they don't supply it so I bought it from Travis Perkins online only as you get free delivery if you spend over £50 ex vat it was £45 so I added a couple of bags of sand to the first two orders and a bag of cement for the third so I can mix the mortar for the DPC.

This morning I have picked up the Underfloor vents galvanised straps DPC and some 90 degree corner brackets (just to keep me happy) All from tool station very reasonable.

I then went to Axminster and bought a length of "T" track for a work bench idea that I will come back to.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 08 Jan 2019, 22:11

As I mentioned above I visited Axminster today as I was leaving I noticed a large insulation supply company across the road. And at the far end of their lot stood a shabby looking pallet well wrapped.
I approached one of the staff who directed me to the office they quoted £680 for new insulation out of my budget

When I arrived home I rang the company and asked if I could buy the insulation on the pallet I was asked to return and speak to the warehouse supervisor when I arrived he asked what I was doing and when I explained he pointed to the pallet and the surrounding new rolls and said "take what you want" yes that is what he said.
Here is my list
8 x 4 ft sheets 100 mm x 3 75mm x 3 40mm x 1 Batts 2 packs 75mm rolls 75mm 6 packs of 2 I left a lot of these behind as I was very short of space.
I did find room for 5 rolls of some insulation the guy said was "top notch" the name on the roll is Actis Hybris my friend came and picked up the other 5 rolls.
It took me 4 hours to get it all home but I am a happy chap.

I am going to take some large boxes of biscuits to them tomorrow.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jan 2019, 22:17

Sounds like a result there!

Well Done!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2019, 22:22

MY63 wrote:.....

I am going to take some large boxes of biscuits to them tomorrow.

Great result there ! And 10/10 for perseverance.

Is there a fish and chippy nearby ? In my experience that always goes down very well around lunchtime.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Jan 2019, 23:11

:text-bravo:

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

I also offer to top up their coffee club when I get a result.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 09 Jan 2019, 20:22

All money has to be handled by their front office via invoice I did offer to buy or make some sort of donation coffee fund type of thing but it is not allowed.
I will return tomorrow loaded with biscuits or maybe cakes from a local bakery. I could not go today as my timber order was due.
It arrived around 11am I spent the rest of the day moving it and doging rain storms moving insulation and humping timber there seemed to be a large vairiation in weight between timber of the same size.
When I ordered the lintels I should have asked about weight they were in the centre of the load. The 1m ones I could lift but not carry the 1.8m ones were ridiculously heavy. Fortunately when clearing my late father of n laws workshop I found a folding trolley sack barrow which helped me to move them just not easily.
I will be having a rest day tomorrow.
The delivery guy asked if I was building a bungalow in my garden with all of the wood :D although if I keep dragging mud through the house I may well be living in it :lol:
Does anyone know of a use for the bulk bags the stone comes in the suppliers don’t want them back.
MY63
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds