It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby 9fingers » 18 Dec 2018, 22:13

i'd stay away from waterbased onto MDF (MR or not)

My goto finish for indoors is standard PU Ronseal or Rustins say diluted 2parts varnish 1 part white spirit to make my own version of sam maloof mixture.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 19 Dec 2018, 14:58

I had to google sam maloof mixture but I understand now.
The MR MDF panel has just arrived it is well sealed in plastic so I will set it aside for now until I can clear some space in the garage / utility. (it was a garage but is going to be a utility room eventually) Then I can unwrap it and apply the varnish.
I don't know why but I expected it to be heavier.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 19 Dec 2018, 15:16

MY63 wrote:I had to google sam maloof mixture but I understand now.
The MR MDF panel has just arrived it is well sealed in plastic so I will set it aside for now until I can clear some space in the garage / utility. (it was a garage but is going to be a utility room eventually) Then I can unwrap it and apply the varnish.
I don't know why but I expected it to be heavier.

You must have the version with lightweight holes :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 20 Dec 2018, 17:48

Izat the one wot gets mixed with Baking powder and then - after its proved - gets baked at gas mark 5 for twenty mins? Or, is it the Swiss MDF? You know..Gruyere brand? :eusa-whistle:

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby MY63 » 22 Dec 2018, 14:55

I would like to thank everyone who offered advice on the band saw question.
The one I linked to was a De Walt 3501 on a metal stand listed on Gum tree was not too far away from me so I made arrangements to see it today.
The saw was exactly as described and had been in a packaging department of a company since new and going by the condition had not seen much use.

Image2018-12-22_12-55-02 by my0771, on Flickr

The stand was made in house for the saw and is way heavier than the saw definitely a 2 man lift :).

Image2018-12-22_12-56-03 by my0771, on Flickr

The guides look like brass and have a little wear they are attached to the guard mechanism which has a know to move it up and down.

The tyres are intact and attached to the rims although there is some debris on them looked very much like aluminium dust (even though there is a notice on the side that says wood only)

Image2018-12-22_12-55-28 by my0771, on Flickr

The toothed drive belt squeaks and squeals and looks quite tight against the sides of the drive wheel on the motor. But the motor turns and runs freely, Blade tensioner works wheel alignment screws work. No mitre fence or other accessories but the main fence works well.

I am over the moon thanks to Bob (9fingers) for his advice on what to look for when I viewed it which was invaluable.
I will be contacting Tuffsaws asap to obtain some new blades.
Thinking about the base it might be very good to use as a support for the stamping section of my leatherwork bench and I could build a wooden stand on wheels for this saw. :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 22 Dec 2018, 15:11

Looks good Michael and lad my comments were helpful.

I suspect that it does not have brush to clean the tyres.
You can easily make one from a brass bristle suede cleaning brush. Shorten the handle and mount on a bracket so that the bristles brush the surface of the lower wheel. This should sweep off the dust and stop it getting carried up to the top wheel as well.

See here for how I did mine. A wooden block would be just as good as the mount

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post450110.html

hth

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 22 Dec 2018, 20:59

Ah ha it does indeed have a little brush but the bristles sit a few mm above the tyre. Looking closer I can see the brush is worn where the wheel passes. The part not touching the wheel is longer ie it has a step in it I wonder if the brush can be turned around. It won’t pull out with fingers I will have a better look tomorrow.
Thanks again Bob
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 03 Jan 2019, 17:34

All of the festivities are over for another year so I have started to work on my workshop again.
I had previously dug and filled one side and the back foundation. Today with the help of my wife and the loan of a wheel barrow we have dug and filled the other side and the front.
Darkness prevents pictures but I am really pleased with the progress.
We have always had issues with drainage in parts of the garden as we have a heavy clay soil so we have positioned new paths in those areas and have dug down and used heavy ballast under a heavy duty weed proof membrane followed by a few inches of decorative black basalt. The recent heavy rain would have previously meant the garden would be really wet but it looks like that issue has been resolved.
The weather forecast is without rain for the next 10 days so I plan to get as much done as possible so I am going to write a list tonight and order the lintels and most of the timber and lintels tomorrow.

I have some questions about lights and work benches to follow unless they should go on a different board?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Jan 2019, 18:35

Workshop lights have been a sub topic in several of our Workshop Build threads.

BTW, some of us are really like the LED panel lights available at the moment. I'm about to add two more, one each end of my 'shop, to supplement the four I have over the central area.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 04 Jan 2019, 12:37

Thanks Malcolm
Would you mind telling me which LED panels you are using as I would like to go down that route.

Here is a picture of my foundations so far. I did start putting the spoil in the middle of the area I was digging out. We are using the soil to level out our remaining area that was grass I don't think you could call it a lawn :D

Image2019-01-04_10-01-09 by my0771, on Flickr

I am going to remove the turf to the left of the picture and lay another foundation for a path which will run up the side of the work shop so my finished ground level will be 50 mm above where it is now.

Trying to sort out a shopping list for timber now.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jan 2019, 12:48

Looking good. It is often reckoned that on a build project 1/3 of the effort goes into the ground works and preparation and with the least to see once done. I hope this heavy work is not too onerous after your hand operation and is providing enough but not too much physio for you.

It will quickly turn into a 3D structure and become more rewarding all round.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Jan 2019, 12:53

Morning, Michael.

I used Denman's, but it appears they aren't located any further north than York.

https://www.denmans.co.uk/den/root-category/Lighting-%26-Lamps/Commercial/LED-Panels/c/DELI_3_2

However, RogerS has used LED panels in his 'shop and he's not far from you, perhaps he can advise on a supplier.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jan 2019, 13:47

I got these ones and they are fantastic IMO.

LED Panels from eBay
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jan 2019, 15:30

TrimTheKing wrote:I got these ones and they are fantastic IMO.

LED Panels from eBay

Mark
Given the rfi problems that Malcolm has had with his led driver modules, I wonder if you could give a qualitative comment about rfi from yours. Can you use domestic stuff live VHF (fm) radio, DAB radio, cordless phone and mobiles in your led lit shop. How close to wiring and panels can you run a radio without interference for instance.i see that your eBay vendor says no rfi but he is possibly being clever in that the panels themselves don't radiate any rfi but I'm sure the drivers do to some extent.
Would be useful feedback to those contemplating fitting panels on new builds and I might even give them a try.
Q2. How many sqm of floor space per panel do you have to get your "operating theatre" lighting levels roughly?

Tia
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 04 Jan 2019, 15:35

I got mine from https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk

I did have problems with my panels which they sorted out. Michael, if you're passing you're very welcome to pop in and take a look.

TBH, I think that all the LED panel probably come from the same place in China
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Jan 2019, 15:48

9fingers wrote:

LED Panels from eBay

Mark
Given the rfi problems that Malcolm has had with his led driver modules, I wonder if you could give a qualitative comment about rfi from yours. Can you use domestic stuff live VHF (fm) radio, DAB radio, cordless phone and mobiles in your led lit shop. .....
Tia
Bob

No problems with FM....don't have DrAB, or cordless. Mobile works fine. Wi-fi OK.

That's 4.5m from SCMS to the cupboards.. Row of three above. There's another row opposite 5m away.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Jan 2019, 15:53

9fingers wrote:

LED Panels from eBay

Mark
Given the rfi problems that Malcolm has had with his led driver modules, I wonder if you could give a qualitative comment about rfi from yours. Can you use domestic stuff live VHF (fm) radio, DAB radio, cordless phone and mobiles in your led lit shop. How close to wiring and panels can you run a radio without interference for instance.i see that your eBay vendor says no rfi but he is possibly being clever in that the panels themselves don't radiate any rfi but I'm sure the drivers do to some extent.
Would be useful feedback to those contemplating fitting panels on new builds and I might even give them a try.
Q2. How many sqm of floor space per panel do you have to get your "operating theatre" lighting levels roughly?

Tia
Bob

Q1 . I'll try and pull together all those items and go and do some testing over the weekend if I can get time Bob.

Q2. There are two areas to my shop, the main machines area which is 5mx5m and I have a single row of 4 panels along the centre line of the vaulted ceiling. The smaller handtools/bench area is 4mx3m and has 3 panels on the lower mezzanine ceiling. This may change as/when I start to use it properly but that's how it is at the moment.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jan 2019, 16:43

Thanks Roger and Mark

So that works out about 4-5sqm per panel.

Roger, Am I right in thinking that you are using Homeplug to extend the internet into your workshop? Is that working ok. It was Homeplug that Malcolm was having trouble with from his LED drivers.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 04 Jan 2019, 17:06

Thanks Bob my hand is great other than the pre existing nerve damage the recovery has been straight forward

Image2019-01-04_01-19-05 by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 04 Jan 2019, 18:02

9fingers wrote:Thanks Roger and Mark

So that works out about 4-5sqm per panel.

Roger, Am I right in thinking that you are using Homeplug to extend the internet into your workshop? Is that working ok. It was Homeplug that Malcolm was having trouble with from his LED drivers.

Bob

I used to use one and had no problem. Currently using a Netgear wifi extender also without any problem. Also the Macbook seems quite happy picking up the main wifi signal from the router through a metre of external stone wall.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 05 Jan 2019, 22:52

LED Panels from eBay

I think I am going to order two these lights I know my brother in law installed a lot of LED lights in a hospital before he retired I just want to be sure he does not have any "spares" stashed in his garage before I buy them.

My wife and I have spent the last few days transforming the remainder of our garden we have used the spoil from the foundations to level out the rest of the garden which had a 125 mm fall over the 7.2 m width.
The next bag of stone will form the foundation for the path that goes around the work shop.
We worked until the light had gone so pictures tomorrow.

Roger if I am every anywhere near you I will make a detour for a visit. :D

Thanks to everyone for the input I really do appreciate it
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 06 Jan 2019, 14:57

Lunch break, I took a couple of pictures first thing this morning.
Here you can see the clerks of the works checking the progress of their garden.
Anyway please excuse the mess.

Image2019-01-06_01-12-12 by my0771, on Flickr

Image2019-01-06_01-12-51 by my0771, on Flickr

The wooden edging is where the lawn ends and the path begins I have removed the grass and my son is helping me to lay the hard core for the paths which will blend into the work shop foundations.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 06 Jan 2019, 15:30

Coming along nicely. Hope the weather holds.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 06 Jan 2019, 17:34

With help from my wife and my son this afternoon we managed to remove the grass from the path and dug a little deeper in front of the steps.
I don't have my 150 x 50 boards as yet so I clamped two decking boards 3.6 m together to make a leveling device.
We have now run out of stone so I will order more tomorrow as well as trying to order the timber and lintels so work can commence.

Image2019-01-06_04-20-33 by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Small workshop "help needed"

Postby MY63 » 07 Jan 2019, 07:56

I had trouble sleeping last night about 4 am I realised that the current position of the base for the lintels is about 50 mm below the new ground level.
Is there a simple solution to this problem like a deeper lintel or can I build up the 50 mm with the same stone.
My supplier has some 50 mm polystyrene sheets 8 x 4 that could fill the inside void.
MY63
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds