It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:26

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Jan 2019, 20:41

Those bulk or jumbo bags are single use bags. That is, they're not OKd to take the same weight again after its first use.

When I was working I sold some for a fiver each on the internal intranet. Some people use them for garden waste.

I note they are also offered for sale on Facebook Marketplace.

I have also taken them to my local recycling centre where the staff also like to use them for plastic waste etc.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jan 2019, 22:01

My local farmer uses those big bags to deliver loads of firewood.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 09 Jan 2019, 22:23

I was not looking for money merely wanting to find a use for them I have four or five which are intact. :D
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2019, 00:05

MY63 wrote:....although if I keep dragging mud through the house I may well be living in it :lol: .

Aaaah... I know what you mean :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 10 Jan 2019, 10:07

We use the ton bags down the allotment for compost, as Mark says they are good for fire wood a mate has dozens of them full of wood makes them easy for him to move around.
I keep a clean one for taking green waste I can’t compost to the local tip saves dirtying the car.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 10 Jan 2019, 12:00

After moving all of the timber and lintels yesterday I have to admit I was a little down thinking I had taken on too much.
I am a little more positive today, Although last week the weather forecast was for 10 days with little chance of rain which for some reason I believed :lol: Yes I know I am nuts :D

Image2019-01-10_10-33-27 by my0771, on Flickr

The idea of using an electric wacker has been binned for a petrol one don't worry I am not planning on using it in the rain. But it will work in damp conditions.
I am having some steroid injections in my left elbow tomorrow so will be slowing down for a few days while it settles down.

The only item I am having difficulty with now is the insect mesh I am looking at stainless steel mesh 7.5 cm which as far as I can tell reviewing Mike G s drawings for base and roof should be fine.
Am I correct ?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 10 Jan 2019, 12:48

Not sure about where you are Michael I get mine from my local facia place but it’s also available online
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soffit-Insect- ... B00U7NUUWI
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 10 Jan 2019, 13:36

Thanks Doug
I am on the North East coast your post gave me all of the information I needed size of mesh and material so I have ordered some, Not from that supplier but the same stuff.
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Coolhands » 10 Jan 2019, 14:01

re: feeling down I do think you need to steel yourself mentally for the upcoming task. I know you read my thread on my build. At times I found it very challenging & more than once wondered why I had started it as (the job) looked too big at times.

But eventually whatever part of the build you are doing will pass, and you move onto the next stage. At some point when the rain is pouring and the walls are half complete you will wonder. But the rest of the walls will go up eventually, etc etc !

I would say don't rush and wear yourself out, just take it steady. I didn't bother with insect mesh; for me it was too expensive and also I had time constraints and some things are more of a luxury than necessity if you know what I mean, and that was one of them.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2019, 14:16

:text-+1:

You will get there!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MY63 » 10 Jan 2019, 16:32

Thanks for the support I am sure there are challenges to come I am afraid over doing things is not an option for me.
I am resting today after delivering biscuits and I may have popped in to Axminster for a brief look around I only came out with a tape measure called a vice versa. It is mm and as the name suggests can be used either way around allowing me to hold the tape in my left hand and mark with my weaker right hand.

I managed to get the mesh for £30 delivered which is reasonable for woven stainless steel mesh.

www.robinsonwirecloth.co.uk/online-shop/

Now that I have the lintels I dont think I will be bothering with the bricks underneath them as it turns out a friend has a wacker which he is going to lend me for a week. Another problem solved :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2019, 18:21

Result!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2019, 18:48

Malc2098 wrote:Those bulk or jumbo bags are single use bags. .....

My local builders merchant re-uses them. There's a £7 deposit on each.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 10 Jan 2019, 19:55

RogerS wrote:

You can tell your up T Norf Rog I’ve not heard of deposit bulk bags for about 15 years. You’ll be telling us next you can get chips & gravey from T chippy
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2019, 22:14

Doug wrote:
RogerS wrote:

You can tell your up T Norf Rog I’ve not heard of deposit bulk bags for about 15 years. You’ll be telling us next you can get chips & gravey from T chippy

You forgot the mushy peas ! Tell you what though...their pies are cracking and very cheap.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 11 Jan 2019, 11:41

All this talk of fish and chips is just making me hungry.

One up for the Royal Mail insect mesh ordered yesterday delivered today.

Image2019-01-11_10-16-34 by my0771, on Flickr

The forecast is for a dry weekend and I am hoping to make some progress.
I need to work out a way to move the lintels safely I can lift the 1 m ones but I cannot carry them I have a small sack barrow but it has fairly small wheels so I mave have to lay some spare deck boards to move it along.
I am also considering using rope to sling it and using wood for handles.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 11 Jan 2019, 12:00

If the surface your need to move them across is hard, then rolling them on lengths of plastic waste pipe or bits of broom handle might make the task a bit easier. I remember helping my dad move my shed down the garden when I was 10 or 11 like that, it was a long time ago!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby MY63 » 11 Jan 2019, 12:27

Thanks Dave
After the weekend I hope to have compacted hardcore everywhere I actually moved the old shed into place on two 4 x 4 s with a liberal application of washing up liquid :)
I am off to hospital for steroid injections in my good arm actually the elbow joint it is painful but not for too long.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jan 2019, 13:44

The strongest muscles in the body are the legs, well in mine they are. That's why H&S info always says pick a box up from the ground in a squatting position with a straight back.

So if you have a strap round your shoulders that just lifts the end of a lintel off the ground when you're standing straight, then with legs only slightly bent, hook the strap underneath the lintel, and stand up straight. It's then hanging one end from your shoulders and the other on the ground. Walk your end a pace or too, then change ends and keep repeating the zig zag till you get there.

A bit of a faff, i know, but you shouldn't hurt your arms, shoulders or back doing it that way. Your should also find that you're less tired, and after all, you can take as long as you want.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby StevieB » 11 Jan 2019, 13:51

Sorry - pedant alert. Your leg muscles are just big, not strong. The strongest muscle (depending on how you define strong) is generally the jaw muscle (insert joke about the gossiping missus here at your peril!).

While the strap method described would work, please be very careful about this - it is easy to strain/stretch the neck if you are not directly over the weight and it would be much preferable just to get a man/mate/group of friends round for some beer vouchers to help you with this or do it for you. Making your location a bit more specific might help if there are members near you?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 11 Jan 2019, 22:24

I think Dave L hit the nail on the head I have lots of timber around I am going to make some tracks and using a lever ease them into place .
Thanks for the ideas.
This may seem sad but when I returned from hospital with an elbow stuffed with steroids I started working on a cutting plan, I know I don’t have a huge amount of wood but is it worth creating a set of reference codes for roof and floor timbers and cut everything in one go or should I cut it as it is needed ?
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Coolhands » 12 Jan 2019, 00:44

I found being like a production line with some things was defiantly faster, so yes I would try and cut many in one go. I would also recommend trying to design as many groups of timbers being the same length as possible. Eg all uprights at 200cm or whatever. It makes everything faster where you can do that.
Coolhands
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MY63 » 12 Jan 2019, 07:12

Coolhands wrote:I found being like a production line with some things was defiantly faster, so yes I would try and cut many in one go. I would also recommend trying to design as many groups of timbers being the same length as possible. Eg all uprights at 200cm or whatever. It makes everything faster where you can do that.

I have an old door which I plan to use as a cutting table with my compound mitre saw I appreciate your advice
I have noticed that all of the stock is 5 mm oversize so I will make sure all the ends are square when I trim them to size. My side wall studs will be around 200cm but I ordered them as 4.2m. My thoughts were I could make allowances for my changing ground height to make sure I dont go too high.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 12 Jan 2019, 16:11

You may remember back in December I was asking about band saws and with a little help managed to buy a gently used one for a reasonable price.
I waited for the Tuff saw guys to return from their break they had been hit by a nasty flu bug but I had an email conversation with Ian and he advised me which blades would be best for the work I will be doing.
They have been ordered. :D
When I was looking inside for the blade brush I also checked all of the adjusters were working and found the tensioner did not appear to be working. I managed to find a supplier who had spares for the machine so I have ordered a replacement tensioner bolt as I had read stripping of threads was a common issue, along with a new brush and the little plastic piece that the blade passes through.

My electrician dropped off a reel of armoured cable and the wacker is due to arrive soon
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2019, 16:23

MY63 wrote:You may remember back in December I was asking about band saws and with a little help managed to buy a gently used one for a reasonable price.
I waited for the Tuff saw guys to return from their break they had been hit by a nasty flu bug but I had an email conversation with Ian and he advised me which blades would be best for the work I will be doing.
They have been ordered. :D
When I was looking inside for the blade brush I also checked all of the adjusters were working and found the tensioner did not appear to be working. I managed to find a supplier who had spares for the machine so I have ordered a replacement tensioner bolt as I had read stripping of threads was a common issue, along with a new brush and the little plastic piece that the blade passes through.

My electrician dropped off a reel of armoured cable and the wacker is due to arrive soon

When you get your tensioning bolt, make sure that it is free to run in the female thread and lubricate it with some grease. Any type will do.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds