It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:26

Slowest workshop build in the history of mankind

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Slowest workshop build in the history of mankind

Postby Hobbo » 12 Sep 2019, 10:28

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the best order to close up a workshop- am I best to get the roof on first, then enclose the sides, do I need to enclose everything to prevent the roof blowing off?

I've just finished 3 courses of bricks on a reinforced concrete base for a 7m x 3.5m workshop, 2.5m high. I'm mostly following the Workshop Bible (Mike G's plans, albeit just single width of bricks, no internal blocks, I know, I know, I'll have an unsightly cladding overhang!) of OSB inner on the insulated studwork, membrane on the exterior, clad in F/E oak or larch. The roof will be box profile metal sheets.

Between work, family, life and naps I don't have much time, so this is probably the slowest construction project in the history of mankind (2nd if you count HS2 obviously) which means I'll have chunks of time where sections of the build are only part done.

Long winded I know, but bearing this in mind am I best to get the side framework up, get the roof on but keep the sides open for a bit? Or should I get the sides up, OSB the inner and then get the lid on? I'm not sure what's best to prevent wind or rain damage.

I've found reading other people's posts really useful, so will post some photos of my dodgy brickwork for general amusement soon!
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Re: Slowest workshop build in the history of mankind

Postby 9fingers » 12 Sep 2019, 13:47

Welcome Hobbo,
An interesting question and I desperately trying to avoid saying "it depends" :lol:
When I built mine I had concrete block walls so far less of an issue of them blowing over.

If there are going to be gaps of more than a few days especially in winter, I think I'd make the walls as panels with the interior face osb and frames and stack those up horizontally off the ground covered in a tarp.

Grab a couple of mates and a clear fine weekend and get all the walls up in one go and then the lid on as quickly after that with the tarp over the whole lot. If you are exposed to winds on site, then a temporary door/windows will help keep the roof on.
Next step, waterproof the roof on the next free weekend. After that you can insulate from the outside keeping that dry until the cladding goes on in relatively slow time if you have to.
Plan your materials procurement so stuff does not get wet.

When I was shopping round for materials I decided on a BM, Jewsons, and gave them the whole bill of materials and agreed discounted prices with their sales rep (not counter staff!), then I called off what I wanted for delivery a day before the weekend using their free delivery service based on the value of each drop. This worked quite well over a period of about a year. However I did not tell them it would be that slow :lol:
Bob
hth
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Sep 2019, 21:17

I think it’s a bit half and half. The wall frames need bracing with the inner skin of the walls.

Once they’re braced, you can fit the rafters and ridge and cover the top leaving you dry to finish the walls.

I think. :eusa-think:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 12 Sep 2019, 21:24

Malc2098 wrote:I think it’s a bit half and half. The wall frames need bracing with the inner skin of the walls.

I think. :eusa-think:

Not necessarily as you can brace them with a bit of roofing batten as a temporary measure - applied diagonally.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Sep 2019, 00:55

I built mine during a very rainy summer.

Having got the timber frames and rafters up I surrounded the walls with building paper then did the roof with OSB and EDPM.
That way I kept the rain out and I could work in the dry to finish.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby greeno » 13 Sep 2019, 08:58

Once you have the membrane on it is essentially waterproof.

It is UV that will break the wrap down.

I think Mike had just membrane on the roof of his for a year or so.

The osb stiffens the frame significantly but the wobble isn't too great without.

If you tarp the roof then lash it down really well then double the amount of lashing, wind finds all the little gaps then friction on corners will destroy the tarp if on for too long.

So if time's tight, I'd wrap, roof, insulate, line, clad.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 13 Sep 2019, 11:50

Thanks all, that's really good advice. I'm much more clear in my mind about what I need to do.

A work in progress pic before I completed the brickwork. One of my helpers generally getting in the way/eating concrete. Under no circumstance should you zoom in to view my dodgy pointing or concrete :eusa-doh:
Attachments
IMG_20190826_152443_893.jpg
No help whatsoever
(482.99 KiB)
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Feather edge boards

Postby Hobbo » 13 Sep 2019, 11:56

I'm looking to use either larch or oak f/e boards. A supplier localish to me stocks different grades of oak- green, air dried, kiln dried. My preference is for oak without painting so it weathers to a natural grey- does anyone have an opinion on which option I should go for, and if bare naked (let's see if that gets through moderation!) oak is a good idea?

If I'm going for 24/6mm f/e boards is my estimate of about 35mm total thickness for the boards once overlapped about right?

thank you.
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Re: Feather edge boards

Postby 9fingers » 13 Sep 2019, 13:43

Hobbo wrote:I'm looking to use either larch or oak f/e boards. A supplier localish to me stocks different grades of oak- green, air dried, kiln dried. My preference is for oak without painting so it weathers to a natural grey- does anyone have an opinion on which option I should go for, and if bare naked (let's see if that gets through moderation!) oak is a good idea?

If I'm going for 24/6mm f/e boards is my estimate of about 35mm total thickness for the boards once overlapped about right?

thank you.

Those thicknesses sound about right for 8" boards but perhaps a bit chunky for 6" IMHO.

Usually FE board is specified by the size of the board that is re-sawn at an angle to make two boards.

eg FE board Ex 200x32 which after the saw cut kerf would give you about the thick and thin dimensions that you mention.

hth
Bob

PS if once you have uploaded your photos, you then use the "place inline" feature, then you get rid of the dotted line round the photo and if you have more than one in a post, you can put them logically within the text. otherwise they will just stack up at the bottom of the post.
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Hobbo » 16 Sep 2019, 11:05

Thanks Bob, I'll do that for future photos!
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 05 Feb 2020, 15:29

A bit more done- slowly of course!

3 course brick wall with wall framing complete. The long section next to the fence had to be clad before lifting into place as I can't access it. It was also clad in wriggly tin (Rhino roofing near Tamworth, really helpful people), this is so it's low maintenance and part of the 'substantially non-combustible' part of building regs.
IMG_20200107_072400_483.jpg
(508.97 KiB)

They wide grey wood plinth is planed at an angle except for corners, this is so I have a neat join for corner posts but still allows water to flow off the rest. Lesson in buying cheap buying twice here where I used Ronseal all weather paint, several coats and a few dry days before rain washed it all off- actually washed it off! Definitely didn't do what it said on the tin, so used Sadolin instead which I've used before and is really good. Difference of paying £16 or £60 I suppose.

IMG_20200203_150118_026.jpg
(151.27 KiB)

Last section of the wall going up.

IMG_20200201_134404.jpg
(390.53 KiB)

Ridgebeam and rafters next.
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Feb 2020, 15:39

Looking good. A good size shop!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Hobbo » 05 Feb 2020, 15:40

I would be interested in anyone's opinion-

I'm planning to have open ended rafters instead of soffit and facias, apart from aesthetics and some more protection for that part of the roof, do they add anything more? I'm following Mike G's guide to slight air gap/insect mesh and then cladding with feather edge if that makes any difference.

The roof will be OSB3, membrane and then I'm planning on vertical battens to allow for downward flow of water, counter battens to mount the box profile metal sheets. Do you agree- or is this overkill? I've seen some people screw metal sheets directly onto the membrane covered OSB, and I've read about not having OSB and using the 'sag' method under horizontal battens- I'm not sure if I am keen on either of these other methods but was interested in what anyone else thought?
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Feb 2020, 15:56

I've not used the metal sheet but have synthetic slates screwed direct onto membrane covered OSB and it has been fine since 2006/7 built.

As for open rafters, the ventilation should lead to the cold side of the roof insulation otherwise you will lose a lot of heat when the wind blows if it vents into the work area itself.

I've got flat ceiling 6mm mdf, vapout barrier (belt and braces) retaining 100mm fibreglass over and 1" soffit gap venting into the roof void. I did not know about insect mesh at the time so none used.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby bluebirdnick » 09 Apr 2020, 00:55

Hobbo wrote:I would be interested in anyone's opinion-

I'm planning to have open ended rafters instead of soffit and facias, apart from aesthetics and some more protection for that part of the roof, do they add anything more? I'm following Mike G's guide to slight air gap/insect mesh and then cladding with feather edge if that makes any difference.

The roof will be OSB3, membrane and then I'm planning on vertical battens to allow for downward flow of water, counter battens to mount the box profile metal sheets. Do you agree- or is this overkill? I've seen some people screw metal sheets directly onto the membrane covered OSB, and I've read about not having OSB and using the 'sag' method under horizontal battens- I'm not sure if I am keen on either of these other methods but was interested in what anyone else thought?

How are you getting on?

Not sure I'd bother with the vertical battens. What water are you worried about? I used box profile on my back wall and on my roof just like you are - saves hours, is super-easy to install and does the job. Mine was only in place for a year before I dismantled it again, and when I took the roof sheeting off there was no evidence at all of any water getting through. I had 11mm OSB; membrane; horizontal battens with a few breaks to allow airflow (not sure why, felt sensible); and then the box profile cladding. I assume you are using a ridge piece as well? the foam fillers fit really well, and the tek screws did a solid job. Having said that: as long as you have the capacity for the marginally higher roof, it's not really a lot of extra bother or cost to cross-batten like you are suggesting and I don't really see any down-sides. It may make life easier when it comes to insect meshing at the eaves too: you can just put a foam filler between the roof sheets and the last horizontal batten, and then cover over the rectangular sections between the vertical and horizontal battens with mesh. What are your plans for keeping insects out of the space behind the cladding on your wall that faces the fence?

Looks great btw.
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 14 Apr 2020, 11:53

Thanks Nick and 9fingers for the advice.

A bit more progress-

IMG_20200314_154858.jpg
(533.11 KiB)

I could only get Gorrilla tape, its not great I may have to retape again before cladding properly. I might also drape a tarp over to protect from UV damage as I dont know when I will be able to get the timber cladding.

IMG_20200403_153632.jpg
(287.72 KiB)

Rafters are all in now, I've also clad the back wall in the same wriggly tin as the wall along the fence- partly for ease, cost and no one will see it! I have foam inserts top and bottom plus it will be covered by the eaves.

IMG_20200407_184708_147.jpg
(304.17 KiB)

Nap zone complete.

I was considering changing my plans about the roof as I cant get hold of much in the way of building supplies. I know I can get the box profile roofing sheets, so my plan is to clad the roof with the waterproof membrane (I have enough of that) and then to screw the box profile sheets straight onto that, onto the rafters without OSB boarding or battens. This will allow me to get the roof watertight quickly.

So the roof from the inside out will (eventually) consist of OSB internal sheets, insulation sitting on top of that in between the rafters, air gap of 10mm, the waterproof breathable membrane on top of that, the metal sheets as the outer layer- with a ridge piece and foam inserts.

Does that sound feasible, or am I looking at a shortcut that I will regret?
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2020, 12:03

You can't do that with pressed metal sheets. They require horizontal support, so at the very minimum you'll need battens. You should have OSB or ply up there too, both for sound (nightmare in the rain, otherwise), and for safety during construction. What are your rafters spacings?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 14 Apr 2020, 12:29

Mike G wrote:You can't do that with pressed metal sheets. They require horizontal support, so at the very minimum you'll need battens. You should have OSB or ply up there too, both for sound (nightmare in the rain, otherwise), and for safety during construction. What are your rafters spacings?

I thought that would be the case but hoped otherwise, makes perfect sense really when you consider how flexible the sheets are horizontally. I might go for battens and let the membrane to sag slightly to allow for water flow, but if I can get ply or OSB go for that instead.

Rafter spacing is 600mm on centre.
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2020, 12:39

If the sheets are nailed then you might have to use 50x50 battens, because trying to nail into a 1" batten in the middle of a 600 gap between rafters is going to be a test (the battens just bounce, and the nails bend). If you are screwing the sheets on (I don't know if this is possible), then the problem goes away.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 27 Aug 2020, 14:10

A little bit of progress and issues with leaks..

Managed to get the roof membrane and lath on, just waiting for the box profile sheets. There was a delay to the sheets so had roofing membrane exposed to weather and uv for longer than I wanted. You'll see I went for horizontal battens which will support the long vertical metal sheets. Screws are same depth as the lath, so I won't have any danger of screws poking through the membrane and creating holes for (more!) leaks.

IMG_20200827_133445.jpg
(474.78 KiB)

The membrane was completely watertight for a few weeks, with this latest weather it's started leaking. A few drips in some places and a fair amount in 2.

IMG_20200827_133412.jpg
(212.83 KiB)

IMG_20200827_133430.jpg
(389.35 KiB)

I covered the rafters with the membrane, then nailed on the lath to the rafters. It's through some of these nails that it's leaking. No cuts or tears in the membrane, and it's still got its water resistance, weirdly it's like its wicking down the nail, then along the top of the rafter. It might be that with the recent high winds it's created a bit of a gap between lath and rafter as the wind flexes the lath. I have hammered a couple of sections down again, there was no obvious gap to speak of but it definitely made a difference to the leak.
I must admit to being surprised the roof was still on after some of the wind we had, I expected to see it making its way across neighbours gardens!

I'm not completely sure if this is a problem, this is my thinking-

Once the metal roof is on (assuming I do a decent job), leaking membrane isn't really a problem as its just there as a safety net in case the real roof leaks.

Is that just wishful thinking on my part because I dont want the utter b@ll @ache of stripping off the lath and replacing the whole thing?

Anyway, sheets arrive soon so I'm hoping for some calmer weather before monkeying about on the roof!
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Aug 2020, 17:00

Can't advise on your issue, but when I had my roof re-done a few years ago, I had some professional felt roofers come and do it. It was interesting to see the guys nipping up and down a ladder with jugs of molten pitch in their hands; even more interesting to see the state of their forearms where they'd been splashed by the stuff! :shock: Cost a smidge over 2K£ to have it done but it was dosh very well spent and guaranteed watertight for approx 30 years - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Aug 2020, 19:20

Don't worry about it too much Hobbo. Wind driven rain will quickly find any weakness, and when there is a tin roof over it any leaks through that will be minor, and not wind-driven. For now, tap all your battens down where they cross rafters.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Hobbo » 01 Sep 2020, 09:12

Mike G wrote:Don't worry about it too much Hobbo. Wind driven rain will quickly find any weakness, and when there is a tin roof over it any leaks through that will be minor, and not wind-driven. For now, tap all your battens down where they cross rafters.

Thanks Mike, that's a weight off my mind!

@woodbloke- gone are the days of felting and tar burns, it's all pvc and glue nowadays!
Hobbo
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Sep 2020, 09:55

Hobbo wrote:
@woodbloke- gone are the days of felting and tar burns, it's all pvc and glue nowadays!

It may be 'old skool' but it works and good for 30 odd years which will see me out :lol: I'm just glad I wasn't the one juggling the pots of pitch up the ladder :shock: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Sep 2020, 12:22

From a non-workshop builder your progress looks bang on schedule to be faster than our existing slowest workshop build by at least 3 years. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Next

Return to Workshop Builds